Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to attach my CB antenna (Wilson 2000) to the front bumper - since I prefer the visual reminder in the front; then forgetting about it in the rear.
So far, other than tap/screw into the tube bumper?
Any other mounts available?

·
Registered
355 Posts
What kind of bumper do you have in front? The ARB comes with mounting holes for a standard thread CB antenna.

If you've got the stock plastic, you might be SOL.

Any other winch bumper, you'll want to drill a hole and mount a spring and whip or firestick. You'll need to make sure you have a good ground from the the mounting point on the bumper to get the SWR down to a decent level.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of bumper do you have in front? The ARB comes with mounting holes for a standard thread CB antenna.

If you've got the stock plastic, you might be SOL.

Any other winch bumper, you'll want to drill a hole and mount a spring and whip or firestick. You'll need to make sure you have a good ground from the the mounting point on the bumper to get the SWR down to a decent level.

Metaltech tube bumper

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I want to attach my CB antenna (Wilson 2000) to the front bumper - since I prefer the visual reminder in the front; then forgetting about it in the rear.
What type of bumper do you have ? Some bumpers will not work well as a CB antenna mount, as they do not offer a good ground plane for transmission of radio waves.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Your goal is to put it in a place where you won't forget about the antenna? :)

I have a magnet mount on the roof. I never forget it when I enter the garage. :D Reception is also better up high...

·
Registered
887 Posts
ive got a magnet mount also...on the roof in the rear

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
you have the tube bumper so you could get a large ADEL clamp. they are the rubber lined clamps usually found around wire bundles or hose lines, but as stated, you get better reception up high, I've heard it's reccomended to be at least a foot over the top if not more.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
you can use a masonry conduit bracket it has rount spot to wrap arount tube and the screw eyelet will allow you to pass the stud through it then just tighten down to compress it

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Any of the above should work provided that the antenna is long enough to get height above the roof line and there is an adequate ground present at the mount. The tap/screw method wouldn't be the best idea in my opinion. Just get one of the simple clamp-on mounts like this one. Add ground and away you yap...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have a magnet mount on the roof. I never forget it when I enter the garage. :D Reception is also better up high...

More info...

Mag mount does not work (remains permanently connected to the wire/cable.
My antenna is a Wilson 2000
Nothing against the "bandi" mount - just prefer seeing the reference of the antenna before it hits something.

Diameter of the tube bumper is 1.5inch.

Any of the above should work provided that the antenna is long enough to get height above the roof line and there is an adequate ground present at the mount. The tap/screw method wouldn't be the best idea in my opinion. Just get one of the simple clamp-on mounts like this one. Add ground and away you yap...
The reason I mentioned the tap/screw method is because it is one of the solutions offered by ARB...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The reason I mentioned the tap/screw method is because it is one of the solutions offered by ARB...
I believe what they're referring to is using one of the flat sections of the bumper, not the tube? I'm not entirely sure though, perhaps someone with one can chime in. I've looked at it several times, that's all.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Back in the "bad ol' days" of CB radios (Think: "10-4 this here's the Rubber Duck, Good Buddy") there used to be a bumper/chain mount made. It was two lengths of chain that wrapped around the bumper and secured to a mount. I recall seeing one on the roll bar of my neighbor's old CJ-5. I googled it, but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone here remember these or know what I'm talking about?

It seems like that would be a good solution for an antenna mounted on a tube bumper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts