Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am looking for a line in the truck that I cant run to my relays so when I hit the high beam all my lights come on...

I want a line that is in the cabin so I can keep my engine bay neat...

I was looking under the steering wheel but couldn't fine the right line...

Any info would be great!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know that this isnt what you wanted but you could run a add-a-circuit out of the fusebox in the engine compartment and then run it to where you want it...
Yeah thats one of my last resourts....Before that I would splice the high beam wire right at the light and run the wire in...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey guys,

I am looking for a line in the truck that I cant run to my relays so when I hit the high beam all my lights come on...

I want a line that is in the cabin so I can keep my engine bay neat...

I was looking under the steering wheel but couldn't fine the right line...

Any info would be great!

Thanks guys!
The Toyota Off Road Lights (the ones for the roof) are pre-wired to operate with the high beams. To use this you need the FJ light switch with the curved line behind the light symbol, a Toyota relay and a fuse. The fuse and relay go in the engine bay fuse box. The switch goes in a blank in the panel in front of the shifter. The output will be in a connecter behind the driver side A pillar (remove grab handle and pop loose from top). You can use the output to operate your relays.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Toyota Off Road Lights (the ones for the roof) are pre-wired to operate with the high beams. To use this you need the FJ light switch with the curved line behind the light symbol, a Toyota relay and a fuse. The fuse and relay go in the engine bay fuse box. The switch goes in a blank in the panel in front of the shifter. The output will be in a connecter behind the driver side A pillar (remove grab handle and pop loose from top). You can use the output to operate your relays.
This might be a way to get it but it involves more parts and a trip to the dealer... I dont know if I get it to work without installing a switch. I am all out of blanks so this would be an expensive way to wire it if it needs to pass through a switch...

according to the electrical manual for DRL enabled FJs, it would be the red/green wire. And if I am not mistaken, it will be GND controlled, meaning when ON it will be GND and floating when OFF.

I was looking in the wiring diagram PDF posted on the form and found this as well but when I hit the wire with the meter I got nothing with or with out the high beams on so I have to look into this but I don’t think it I can use this to trigger a relay…

Thanks for the input guys!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
You won't see anything "voltage-wise" with a meter, the line goes from floating (low beams on) to grounded (high beams on). You can use this line to to trigger a relay - just connect the ground side of the relay coil (coil -) to this line (and supply the 12v to the coil +).

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
according to the electrical manual for DRL enabled FJs, it would be the red/green wire. And if I am not mistaken, it will be GND controlled, meaning when ON it will be GND and floating when OFF.
I was looking in the wiring diagram PDF posted on the form and found this as well but when I hit the wire with the meter I got nothing with or with out the high beams on so I have to look into this but I don’t think it I can use this to trigger a relay…
You won't see anything "voltage-wise" with a meter, the line goes from floating (low beams on) to grounded (high beams on). You can use this line to to trigger a relay - just connect the ground side of the relay coil (coil -) to this line (and supply the 12v to the coil +).
If you read my text, it implies exactly what Steve wrote in clear English. Next time I'll try to be more clear, I tend to forget that not everyone has a basic understanding of electrical wiring.
As Steve said, use this wire to pull your relay coil to ground and connect the other end of the coil to 12V. Relays can be controlled both ways. To test this wire, use your ohm meter and meassure between GND and this wire.
0 ohm = GND(ON)
Infinity Ohms = Floating(Off)

BTW: just to save you headaches in the future...all of the lights on the toyota are GND controlled. GND on, floating off... This is the way I wire my lights. Worst thing that can happen is the cable that controls On/Off gets rubbed through, touches metal and turns the lights on...no fires. or blown fuses.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok got another relay some diodes and wired it all up but there are a few issues with this.

There is voltage on that wire when the head lights are in the off position. so when the head lights are off my relay is chattering and a relay and other stuff is making noises that I assume are not good.

Solution: I added a switch on the line from the green wire with the red tracer so I when the head lights are off it there is not conflict with the cars other systems and I thought I was good until problem two.

when I turn the head lights on and then flip the switch from my hi beam circuit something under the hood makes noise that don't sound healthy so I don't know if I am going to use this....

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Does the sound under the hood sound like another relay chattering? If so, this may be your DIM relay. it controls Hi/Lo Beams.
Next question? Did you tap the red/green wire? Or did you cut it and put you relay inline to it? It should only be tapped. Is your relay being grounded by another pin or maybe its mounting point? Disconnect the red/green tap and measure that pin to GND...it should read infinity Ohms. If it reads a small number, that is not good (relay prematurely grounded).
A schematic of how your wired it up(including diodes) would maybe help diagnose what went wrong.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try and post a pic of the diagram...

The green/red was taped. but it only chatters when the head lights are turned off and the circuit is on.. maybe it has to do with the DRL's? but that noise is different its more like a buzzing... maybe I can post a sound clip too...

Thanks!

·
Registered
570 Posts
+1 on this: "A schematic of how your wired it up (including diodes) would maybe help diagnose what went wrong."

Ian, I'd offer to take a look first hand - but I don't work in Canton any more.....

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
+1 on this: "A schematic of how your wired it up (including diodes) would maybe help diagnose what went wrong."

Ian, I'd offer to take a look first hand - but I don't work in Canton any more.....
I was going to say I haven't see your rig on Blue Hill Ave any more... Well take care, thanks fro the offer!

I think its now the alternator whining when I kick all the lights on..

But I was pretty sure that when you turn off the headlight you get some voltage back to the that green HB wire.

Ill post the diagram now..

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am sorry guys I haven't drawn a digiram in a while so here is my best shot:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you please draw in all components...Are the relays below the diodes?
Second, what is that black circle between HiBeam Switch and 12V ...
BTW: the HiBeam switch goes to GND when ON and it looks to me that you are connection it directly to 12V (short)
Yeah I forget how to draw the relay... I have HB wire going to the relay and a switched 12 volt source. (had help with the design from an electrical engineer)

The diodes are on the out put from the relay to go to trigger the three relays for my lights. I had to use the diodes so if I switch on light on from the cabin switch it does not go back through my circuit and turn all three lights on.

The set up works as long as my disable switch is off when the head lights are off.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks fro posting the diagram but I had the lights all set up and then had the idea to have them come on when I hit the high beams so. I wanted something to add to my current set up with out re-wiring the whole truck.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Yeah I forget how to draw the relay... I have HB wire going to the relay and a switched 12 volt source. (had help with the design from an electrical engineer)

The diodes are on the out put from the relay to go to trigger the three relays for my lights. I had to use the diodes so if I switch on light on from the cabin switch it does not go back through my circuit and turn all three lights on.

The set up works as long as my disable switch is off when the head lights are off.
OK assuming, you have the relay from HiBeam source hooked up right, then the next thing that looks wrong are the diodes. They look like they are backwards.

So what works exactly? Individual switch on of lights, when Hi's off?
A full drawing would help, with all switches...but I think I see what your are trying to do.
You have three lights and wish to control them individually or turn them all on with the HiBeam. Correct?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK assuming, you have the relay from HiBeam source hooked up right, then the next thing that looks wrong are the diodes. They look like they are backwards.

So what works exactly? Individual switch on of lights, when Hi's off?
A full drawing would help, with all switches...but I think I see what your are trying to do.
You have three lights and wish to control them individually or turn them all on with the HiBeam. Correct?
Bingo...Sorry I should have been more detailed from the start...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts