Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tom and I are headed to Costa Rica for 8 days in August. I am already planning the right gear to take as this is going to be a somewhat beachy/expedition type vacation.

We are going white water rafting as well as doing the zip line tour through the rainforest canopy. My thoughts are that I want to find a good quality day pack that is packable in our big packs. That way I can take just what we need for the day when we expedition it.

Any thoughts on what might be able to fit that order? I have rain gear and light hikers for us already. The quick dry stuff is the bomb!

Thanks for any advice on this one folks.

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Dang there are so many out there. I know REI is a big, evil, anti off roading ,eco nazi company......but they sell some SWEET stuff.

(I haven't patronized them in awhile.....but they sell some SWEET outdoor gear.)

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at REI tonight as I get the catalogs but I am hoping that I can put my hands on something that I can really pack tightly in our gear and then just use it for short stuff. I have some waterproof bags already to put our passports and the like into but a good pack would be the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
534 Posts
They have some fabulous packs. Mine is a few years old now and i haven't shopped in awhile....but when I was looking, it seems that hands down they offered the most....with the most pockets and doo hickies and such.....things you never know you needed.

Don't forget to buy a "wine rack" to take with you as well. :rofl:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have some fabulous packs. Mine is a few years old now and i haven't shopped in awhile....but when I was looking, it seems that hands down they offered the most....with the most pockets and doo hickies and such.....things you never know you needed.

Don't forget to buy a "wine rack" to take with you as well. :rofl:
definitely need the wine rack option! or at least the cooler option for cold beer!

·
Registered
534 Posts
definitely need the wine rack option! or at least the cooler option for cold beer!
i dunno....traveling around costa rica sucking on wine strapped to my chest.....one could only marvel.

don't forget the toblerone! :)

oh....and white water rafting too.....it has been YEARS since I rafted the whites!

jealousy. :mecry:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dunno....traveling around costa rica sucking on wine strapped to my chest.....one could only marvel.

don't forget the toblerone! :)

oh....and white water rafting too.....it has been YEARS since I rafted the whites!

jealousy. :mecry:
well I will definitely travel with chocolate! It is just good..... The resort we are staying in is get this, OPEN bar! So..... I am thinking that we will just pack bottled water and some trail mix or jerky for our little expos.... I just want to be able to carry the new camera that Tom bought me, some wet weather gear and some snacks. I got us frogg toggs to pack so they will be regular gear.

·
Registered
852 Posts
well I will definitely travel with chocolate! It is just good..... The resort we are staying in is get this, OPEN bar! So..... I am thinking that we will just pack bottled water and some trail mix or jerky for our little expos.... I just want to be able to carry the new camera that Tom bought me, some wet weather gear and some snacks. I got us frogg toggs to pack so they will be regular gear.
Hey Parrothead....Why are you keep dancing? :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Kim a medium size pack that i got from them for 45 (i think on sale) is the Traverse
REI Traverse Pack from REI.com
The pockets are all easily accessible and ginormous. ( i just checked and it is like 70). I have used it for over a year. It has been throw all around. Have not seen one thread run, or any seams at all begin to show signs of age. Plus, it has a sweet pouch to make it into a camelbak type of pack, all you need is the pouch and tube.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
look at patagonia's website. They have a couple of daypacks that are ultra light and durable ( I've used one all last summer and it looks new ( still getting used every weekend). They also have one made for travel that's light and can be scrunched up- we use it for road trips all the time. Can't beat their unconditional return/ replace policy, too!

·
Wanderlust
4,159 Posts
Tom and I are headed to Costa Rica for 8 days in August. I am already planning the right gear to take as this is going to be a somewhat beachy/expedition type vacation.

We are going white water rafting as well as doing the zip line tour through the rainforest canopy. My thoughts are that I want to find a good quality day pack that is packable in our big packs. That way I can take just what we need for the day when we expedition it.

Any thoughts on what might be able to fit that order? I have rain gear and light hikers for us already. The quick dry stuff is the bomb!

Thanks for any advice on this one folks.

:bigthumb:
Since you'll be in very hot and humid weather in CR, I'd recommend any type of packs with a mesh back cover to allow air to circulate between your back and the pack. I've been using a Marmot Bodie pack (which is now discontinued) with this feature and Deuter has it on most of the their pack designs. A rain cover for the pack will also come in handy. Don't forget to pack good footwear too. For CR, I recommend getting the Chaco Z1 or Z2 sandals and Solomon Light Amphibian. BTW, I stopped wearing rain gear after the second day of hiking through the rain forest as I was getting just as wet from sweating. :D I used ziplock bags to keep things dry (passport, money, camera...). HTH

| Deuter USA | Systems |

If you have a chance, check out the Parador in Quepos (just north of Manuel Antonio National Park).

White water rafting down the Rio Pacuare.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You may want to take a look at LL Bean. They have great packs and aren't the eco-nazis like REI.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Patagonia makes the lite wt. travel pack that is awesome! That is my choice for a quick pack and go bag. go to the Patagonia web site and check this out! It folds down to the size of a half loaf of bread! SWEET! :bandit:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since you'll be in very hot and humid weather in CR, I'd recommend any type of packs with a mesh back cover to allow air to circulate between your back and the pack. I've been using a Marmot Bodie pack (which is now discontinued) with this feature and Deuter has it on most of the their pack designs. A rain cover for the pack will also come in handy. Don't forget to pack good footwear too. For CR, I recommend getting the Chaco Z1 or Z2 sandals and Solomon Light Amphibian. BTW, I stopped wearing rain gear after the second day of hiking through the rain forest as I was getting just as wet from sweating. :D I used ziplock bags to keep things dry (passport, money, camera...). HTH

| Deuter USA | Systems |

If you have a chance, check out the Parador in Quepos (just north of Manuel Antonio National Park).

White water rafting down the Rio Pacuare.

AWESOME info and pics! Thank you so much. We are really pumped about going!!!!!!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I'm a big fan of my Camel Back Mule. It'll carry enough for a long day hike and plenty of water. The waist strap takes a good bit of load off your shoulders, and the shoulder straps are accesorizible (is that a word?).

The Walmart brand of Camel Back, don't remember the name they use, has one almost exactly like it for a bit less money. It may not last as long, but my wifes is three years old and still going strong.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up getting the Patagonia "Expedition". It is really compact and light. I can fold it up to the size of a loaf of bread. That is NICE!! Thanks folks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts