Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy the hubby and I some wet weather, all terrain type sandles to take to Costa Rica. We have the normal Teva stuff, but they are no good for very long distances as they tend to rub. What have you folks found to work?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have Merrell Chameleons. They are more shoe than sandal. I've used them for hiking with good results. It take a while for them to dry out so they aren't the greatest for really wet activities. My biggest compaint is getting rocks out of them since they cover so much of your foot.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I love my Keens I ahve had the same pair for about 5 years now (since before they were popular here) and they are awesome. They have a covered toe which makes it great for more aggresive hiking. I have hiked the Narrows in Zion's which about 6 miles in water as well as havasue falls which is 11 miles each way. They have been bullit proof and besides the soles getting worn they are still in very good shape. I will be using them for the Summit as well.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a pair of these Keen Arroyo's and picked them up for $49 on sale at an REI...they're very comfy on long hikes plus very water friendly...good luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
When I went to Costa Rica, I wore Chaco Sandals the whole time. (Chacousadotcom) I hiked though jungles and swamps throughout Costa Rica and I never had a problem with them.

Start wearing your new sandals a month before you go to break them in and to get your feet used to them.

Costa Rica is a beautiful place.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I bought Chaco's as well, for our trip to the British Virgin Islands in 2006. I wanted something with grip, traction, that could get wet, and stay on. The Chacos were great.

For actual HIKING, perhaps a Keen would be better. My DH has a set of Keen water boots (I got them for him for jetski use) - he likes the arch and ankle support, and the fact that small pebbles can't get between the foot and the upper.

Sandi

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a pair that are made by Columbia Sportswear that cost about $45. They are extremely comfortable while hiking and have not caused any pain, blisters, or chafing.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have actually looked at the Keens, the Chacos and the Bites. I have really narrow heels so I always try to find the euro sizing if I can. I have been wearing Florida Birks now for about 10 years. I just replace them when they get crappy and wallah.... another pair just like them.

I bought us Tevas last year to take to Mexico and I HATED mine. They rubbed and just did not take care of business.

That is why I posted the question here. Have any of you had dealings with the euro sizing with these sandles. I did not go to the sizing section of any of the websites.

Thank you ALL so much for answering my questions. We are really excited about going. We don't take much time off at all and I did not have anyone to cover for me for Summit. Thus, this is Tom's way of saying that we are going to go have a good time anyway.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a pair of these Keen Arroyo's and picked them up for $49 on sale at an REI...they're very comfy on long hikes plus very water friendly...good luck.

Thanks buddy. I do like the look of the Keens!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Keens are tops! I am on my second pair in a five year period. I am VERY hard on equipment and it takes a lot to bust these shoes. They offer the support of a regular shoe (I have ran in them) with the advantage/draining of a sandal. I will warn you that they can be a tad bit warmer than a regular teva sandal but offer the best all round support for any sandal I have seen. Disclaimer: I don't own stock in the company, just know a great product when i see it. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Chalk up another enthusiastic vote for Keens. Arroyos are awesome, have two pair, but their original claim to fame and still my favorite are the Newport and Newport H2 (bottom half of the photo)...

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys!!! I am off to order a pair of Keens now!!!

G

·
Thanks guys!!! I am off to order a pair of Keens now!!!
Order? Just like any footwear, I'd recommend going to a store and trying on a few pair to compare.

FWIW, I've tried numerous teva's including the wraptor, ALPS (purchased by teva) and ended up settling on chacos. They worked great for 10 months and then I started developing foot pain in them for some strange reason. I now just wear light hikers, running shoes, flip-flops or dress shoes depending on the environment. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Kim, Chacos, trust me. Perfect for in and out of water.

Or the Salomon Techamphibians. I like the salomons more but they are shoes.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
CHACOS. Sorry didn't mean to yell. My puppy chewed almost through mine 4 years ago, and they are still my #1 footwear. They have seen me through the entire length of Chile crossed the Andes, crossed the Patagonia, reached countless summits, Crossed Manhattan N to S and E to W, and are still going strong. When I get skin cancer on my feet it will be everywhere but the white "Z" shape that is I'm sure permanent by now. Go to REI and try them on.

Edit: Kim, I'm on here almost every night for nearly a year now, and I only have 379 posts because I only comment when I feel strongly or have something funny enough to say.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
CHACOS. Sorry didn't mean to yell. My puppy chewed almost through mine 4 years ago, and they are still my #1 footwear. They have seen me through the entire length of Chile crossed the Andes, crossed the Patagonia, reached countless summits, Crossed Manhattan N to S and E to W, and are still going strong. When I get skin cancer on my feet it will be everywhere but the white "Z" shape that is I'm sure permanent by now. Go to REI and try them on.

Edit: Kim, I'm on here almost every night for nearly a year now, and I only have 379 posts because I only comment when I feel strongly or have something funny enough to say.
We have no REI in LA Sadly, but any outdoor store (like the backpacker in BR) has them.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks so much!!! I got my Keens in tonight and I LOVE them! I am still interested in the Chacos though. I have really narrow feet so the Keens fit my heels with the toe box being roomy enough for my girls to breathe.......:rofl:

I am also going to look at the Chacos. I will return which ever pair does not fit my poor feet the best. BTW, when I was a little girl, my mom had to take me to the most expensive shoe store in downtown Charleston, SC, because my silly feet were so narrow. Thank goodness now for the internet and for euro sizing because both are AWESOME!!! I did not get very many pairs of shoes when I was little.

Thank you all for your input!

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kim, Chacos, trust me. Perfect for in and out of water.

Or the Salomon Techamphibians. I like the salomons more but they are shoes.
I got those too Layton for the zip line stuff and for horse back riding on the beach. I am going to break down and actually rent a horse to ride. After having the horses under me that I have (Olympic quality) it is a tough row for me to how, but hey I want to ride down there so......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts