Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the best 3" lift. I mostly drive on the NY highways so I'd like to still maintain some good steering control, with all the crazy NY drivers. However I would like to have the FJ looking level throughout the lift. If anyone can help, I'd be greatly appreciative. Also trying to add some new tires to my 17" MT. How big of a tire can I go with the 3-inch lift? Should I go with a 16" wheel for that look?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I don`t know what your price range is . On the cheap end I had a Rough Country 3 inch spacer lift I think it cost about $300 ish. I ran that for about 6 years and it worked fine. I have since upgraded to Kings racing suspension $3000 ish. It also works great. Never had any complaints about either of them. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Toytec 3" lift on my 2008 FJ. Had the lift for over 10 years and about 290K miles. Best mod I ever made to my FJ. And I have plenty of mods. Never had a problem with the lift. Both on pavement and off road. Off road includes the mountains outside Ouray CO (5 times) and the back trails of Death Valley NP (3 times). It's a combo of spacer lift in the front and coilover in the back. Eliminates the rake. Lets me run BFG KO2 285's. Now on my second set. 16" wheel because that's what the FJ came with. Combine the lift and the KO2's it is about 4" higher than stock. I won the lift kit in a raffle after a run at Rausch Creek PA with the FJ Northeasters. And a friend helped install the lift. So I can't quote prices. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Spacer lifts in front are a bad idea and can be dangerous.
The spacer stops the shock from being the limiting factor on down travel. The stock upper control arm can contact the spring.
In a road hump situation where suspension goes full droop it can cause ball joint separation.
I have seen this on a TT on the road and in my shop on my own FJ , when I first bought it. ( I did not know at the time it had a spacer).

I would never recommend a spacer lift in front from these experiences . Ball joint separation at speed is something you do not want to experience. If you do hopefully you live to tell about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Thank you, Saderhawk. I hear spacers crack. Is that because of cheep brand?
I know some people don`t like spacer lifts but they aren`t dangerous. I still have mine in a box and if I ever need it I wouldn`t think twice about re installing it. I offroaded the crap out of mine and never had any problems. Its a nice option if you can`t afford the high end stuff. This is the kind of offroading we do. If you can zoom in you might even be able to see the spacer lift :)
offroad pics 2 092.jpg

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know some people don`t like spacer lifts but they aren`t dangerous. I still have mine in a box and if I ever need it I wouldn`t think twice about re installing it. I offroaded the crap out of mine and never had any problems. Its a nice option if you can`t afford the high end stuff. This is the kind of offroading we do. If you can zoom in you might even be able to see the spacer lift :)
View attachment 1135934
What brand/make are you running?

·
Registered
108 Posts
When the ball joint separates and the wheel flops on the ground, I call that dangerous.
It was a costly ordeal for a friends father on a 2013 TT with 60K miles. (Right after a large hump in road that would have put both front wheels at full droop. )

On my FJ I had jacked it up with a floor jack and was changing a caliper (both sides at full droop. )
I put wheel on drivers side and was working on pass side. Heard a wired noise, walked around truck to see what it was....I was shocked to find ball joint separated and wheel hanging .

Stock upper control arm contacts spring and full weight pulls on ball joint. Because of spacer lift the shock cannot act as the limit for droop.

I removed my spacers and installed new suspension.
I stand by my view and am glad you didn’t find out the hard way.

Carry on...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spacer lifts in front are a bad idea and can be dangerous.
The spacer stops the shock from being the limiting factor on down travel. The stock upper control arm can contact the spring.
In a road hump situation where suspension goes full droop it can cause ball joint separation.
I have seen this on a TT on the road and in my shop on my own FJ , when I first bought it. ( I did not know at the time it had a spacer).

I would never recommend a spacer lift in front from these experiences . Ball joint separation at speed is something you do not want to experience. If you do hopefully you live to tell about it

Yikes!!! Ok I won't. What brand do you recommend for 3" suspension lift?
View attachment 1135934
Beast mode!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have Old Man Emu front and Toytec springs rear with OME shocks.
Rear springs are 10% rate over stock. (Requires about 200lb in rear to ride nice. )

I have “light” spring rate for no steel bumpers etc. Works well but would require upgrade to medium or heavy depending on weight of accessories.

I have no other experience with suspension on FJ but OME was good company in LC world. Good value for $.

Decide your end goal and go with that. There are several companies. Pay attention to durability year round (is FJ subject to road chemicals).

·
Registered
883 Posts
Good lift for less money, Go with Bilstein 5100.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts