Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Enthusiasts and Owners!

I am in the process of searching for/purchasing an FJ Cruiser. It is a matter of not 'if', but 'when'.

Being that the mileage around my price-range varies between 120K- to 200k-miles, I'm looking for input as to What things I should be keeping an eye our for, regular maintenance, and any issues that people have experienced around this time.

And. . .just open to any input that you might want to share as well. Places to get good accessories, etc.

Thanks for your time!

·
Banned
890 Posts
I suggest reading this article. JimmyBuffet's guide to buying/selling. Good Luck!

Personally, I did precious little research. I saw mine online, went to the dealer, crawled around/in/through every place I could fit, did a test drive then gave them all my money. From start to end it took 30 hours for me to get my dream veeeehikle. After the scratch and sniff in person it was pretty obvious to me that it had never been off road to any extent, hadn't been in a wreck and most importantly to me - owned by a nonsmoker. Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Being that the mileage around my price-range varies between 120K- to 200k-miles, I'm looking for input as to What things I should be keeping an eye our for, regular maintenance, and any issues that people have experienced around this time.
The FJ has a timing chain, so no timing belt concerns there. At 120-200K miles I would assume all the preventive maintenance items need to be done: transmission fluid, brake fluid, front and rear differential fluid, transfer case fluid etc. Beyond that, it's a Toyota, although at 120K an older Toyota. When things break, fix them.

If you buy nationally, keep an eye out for rust from northern trucks.

(quick edit, sorry I forgot to mention)

The early '07 trucks are known for weak differentials, we don't know exactly when those were fixed so if you can find an '08 that matches your price that's a safer bet. Also if the truck has been substantially offroaded (or otherwise flexed) you'll want to keep an eye out for "fender bulges" on the back side of the fender under the hood.

And. . .just open to any input that you might want to share as well. Places to get good accessories, etc
The biggest piece of advice I can give you: it's always cheaper to do it right than it is to do it twice. Figure out where you want to be able to go and what you want to be able to do. Are you a desert overlander? A rock crawler? What you want to do with the truck should dictate your build.

Once you know where you want to go / what you want to do, look for other people here who do the same thing. See how they build their rig, what parts they use and why.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. I've been trying to keep the search to within 2008-2010s--and it's gotta be RED--while looking out for rust, particularly.
Had a frustrating thing happen last week. Was making arrangements for travel to Houston--literally at the counter--to check out (and likely pick up) a 2008 that I had going through the Pre-Purchase Inspection. Then I got the news that the rear main seal was leaking badly, and would cost about $1300 to fix. I told the dealer that I need for it to be fixed if I'm even going to come out there, and even offered to have them tack on half the expense to the purchase price (without previously trying to haggle it down). They wanted a $1000 non-refundable deposit to begin the work, basically sealing me to the deal before I even see the vehicle and said they couldn't take the 'risk' otherwise. I replied the work should've been done in the first place, and at the very least they'll have a vehicle they can move off the lot. They didn't budge, so I told them I can't give them $1000 for something I haven't seen, particularly considering their relative shadiness, and I walked.
Still a little bummed about how it turned out.
Still searching. . ..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Carlton,

The FJC might be the best 4x4 ever built. Things to watch out for are previous owners who abuse their vehicles. This not only means neglect for maintenance but also guys who unnecessarily choose to crash into things or splash into the ocean. Simply said, buy your FJC from a reliable, forthright owner. And avoid dealers if you can.

Rust is a terrible enemy for all vehicles made of metal. Avoid a rusty vehicle, especially underneath.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts