Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a 2013 that I specifically purchased for our designated Tow Vehicle for behind our motorhome. We own three other vehicles so it really is just a toy for us.

My objective is to not lift it or if it does, I would like the minimum possible, basically just to level it out. I’ve been researching and thinking of doing this with just the Bilstein shocks and appreciate your thoughts.

My question is what model shocks do I want? I’ve heard the 6000 series and better than the 5000 series. So what would I need for springs if any beyond stock. She will be a pavement princess for the most part, but I do want to be able to do some great wheeling with her when we choose. Not talking about conquering the Rubicon, just some good moderate to mildly difficult wheeling.

would I need to do the UCA’s or will stock be fine. Long time Rubicon owners so thanks for bearing with this FJ newbie as I learn new things about this amazing lil rig.

·
Premium Member
9,562 Posts
My objective is to not lift it or do the minimum as possible and level it out.
I don't understand this statement.

If you go with a 6112 front shock you have to use aftermarket springs as the shock body is too big for the stock springs. yes the 6112's are reported to ride better than the 5100 but to me it was not worth the extra $900. The 5100 is a good cheap setup that still allows for some adjustability.

If you just level it you don't need aftermarket UCA's but its never a bad idea.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Iconic, I appreciate that. So it sounds like the 5100’s will do what I need and level it, and improve the overall ride.

Next question; Not looking to spend a small fortune but with cost not being a real issue, given a choice, is this what you would do or is there a better overall set up. Just want to get it right the first time and not have remorse that for an extra $500-1000 find I could of done a much better overall setup with a pavement princesses and occasional off-road still the goal,

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bilstein 5100's are a good recommendation. I went with the ToyTec Ultimate Coilovers ... Bilstein 5100's with a ToyTec lower spring perch that is adjustable between 1/2" to 2.5" lift.. My take ... this allows for dialing-in the front lift height to achieve a desired front rake relative to the rear height ... in addition to being able to adjust the drivers side ride height (relative to the passenger side) to compensate for the dreaded "drivers side lean". Using Bilstein 5100's and using the lower spring perch clip positions can get things close in terms of lift ... but maybe not dead-on ... with any change ... once installed ... requires complete removal of the strut and compressing the spring to change the lower spring perch clip position ... so for me, being able to adjust the lower spring perch to an exact height on the vehicle is well worth the price of admission. The ToyTec hardware can be transferred to a new Bilstein 5100 on future shock replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another route: I just did the Fox 2.0 coil/strut set up. My front end was low 2 inches compared to the rear. After install, it's dead nuts even with the rear. The ride is fantastic compared to the stock setup. The wife even noticed the difference in the ride. Downside is they are a bit pricey. $850 for the front package and just under $400 for the rears (shocks)
I've used Fox on quite a few of my vehicles and powersports equipment so they are my go to. Thought I'd give you something else to consider. Carry on!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another route: I just did the Fox 2.0 coil/strut set up. My front end was low 2 inches compared to the rear. After install, it's dead nuts even with the rear. The ride is fantastic compared to the stock setup. The wife even noticed the difference in the ride. Downside is they are a bit pricey. $850 for the front package and just under $400 for the rears (shocks)
I've used Fox on quite a few of my vehicles and powersports equipment so they are my go to. Thought I'd give you something else to consider. Carry on!
I don’t mind spending the money upfront to get it right the first time. It is just a pull toy for us behind a motorhome, and will be mostly driven on roads with the occasional off-road adventure, therefore, wouldn’t want anything that was too stiff. I’d be very interested in knowing what exactly you did “shock and spring part #’s” and where you purchased, if online.
Thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don’t mind spending the money upfront to get it right the first time. It is just a pull toy for us behind a motorhome, and will be mostly driven on roads with the occasional off-road adventure, therefore, wouldn’t want anything that was too stiff. I’d be very interested in knowing what exactly you did “shock and spring part #’s” and where you purchased, if online.
Thank you.
FOX Offroad Shocks 983-02-051 PERFORMANCE SERIES 2.0 COIL-OVER IFP SHOCK (front setup. I paid $425 each)

Fox Shocks 980-24-675 Fox 2.0 Performance Series Smooth Body IFP Shock (rears. I paid $179 each)

Shock Surplus was great to deal with. DON'T go with the cheapest price you find online, go with a reputable supplier. Carry on!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate that information, AJ. Definitely plan on dealing with shock surplus. Their the company I’ve been looking at for the 5100 series in the 6112 Bilsteins. Greatly appreciate this info.

How is the ride and handling on the road if you don’t mind me asking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Appreciate that information, AJ. Definitely plan on dealing with shock surplus. Their the company I’ve been looking at for the 5100 series in the 6112 Bilsteins. Greatly appreciate this info.

How is the ride and handling on the road if you don’t mind me asking.
Sooo much better than the stock spring/strut/shock setup. Handles the bumps swimmingly, no more jarring. I'm a big Fox fan, it was an easy decision for me.

·
Premium Member
18,336 Posts
2.0 are not enough to handle the piggish FJ. 2.5 do a much better job.

For comparison:
Red - 2"
Blue - 2.5"
OAL from eye to stud is the same.

Sports equipment Audio equipment Wood Magenta Cosmetics

1 - 10 of 10 Posts