Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2007 FJ I’m looking to get new tires for. I will be driving in town, highway and would like to take it off roading as well. Can you recommend the best tires to check out?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,644 Posts
You haven’t mentioned if you drive in snow and ice or not. That will make a difference, as will how much rain you drive in. If you spend most of your time on highway then look for a good brand all-terrain pattern over a mud terrain. The latter will have poorer road manners, particularly in the wet and ice, will be noisier and wear much quicker.

The most popular choices here are probably BFG AT or Goodyear Duratrac.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,027 Posts
With your kind of driving you're gonna want to look at an all-terrain tire. A mud terrain tire could get noisy and annoying if you do a lot of city/highway driving. The most popular tire out there for all terrain is probably the BFGoodrich KO2. But like what was said, for snow/ice driving one of the better tires is the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I currently have the KO2s and they have been great for me. Since most of my driving is on-road and I don't do anything CRAZY off-road, but if I was choosing tires again I would go with the Duratracs. Other options to look into would be the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Cooper Discoverer STT Pro, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drive in the snow. I live in Park City, UT currently. It’s a ski town. But I’m planning a trip to Washington St where I will be going on a 4x4 adventure in about a week and plan on exploring the area a little while there

·
Registered
18 Posts
WA driver with rain, snow, dirt experience, plus plenty of hwy. I run Cooper AT3s that I've been very pleased with. Great wear, great traction all around, quiet and nice driving. They don't "look" as aggressive as some you can get but I valued performance over looks. Only compliant has been with balancing. Expedition Portal did a great write-up a few years back comparing various AT tires and how they performed.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I just got my 3rd set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W today they are a great tire. I live in the mountains ans deal with a lot of snow. I also offroad alot and the tires hold up wonderful.

Reactions: ASWH1

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got BFG's KO2 on my LX and I like them a lot. We have Wildpeaks in 285/75 on the FJ and they are great so far. about 3k miles on them highway and offroad. Quieter than my KO2s really

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’ve also got BFG all terrains, T/A KO2. There are two versions of this tire, the DT with a 50,000 mileage rating and the one without that has a slightly better winter/snow rating. I went with the DT version myself because the increased wet weather performance was far more important to me, there’s not a lot of snow in Texas, lol. So I can’t personally say how well they preform in the snow. But if you choose the BFG’s I’d probably recommend the non DT version for the added performance in the snow being you mainly drive in the snow.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey there, A year ago I upgraded the OEM tires on my 2013 FJ to Falken Wildpeak AT3W [ 265/70R17/115T]. As others have mentioned, your choice of tires will depend on where you live, what type of driving you do, and how much off-roading you do. Your Budget is also a factor- and will narrow your choices. We live in the SW Virginia Mountains and get a good amount of snow, a lot of rain, and travel a lot of gravel and dirt back roads. I made this choice based on Ratings, Design and also on Value, as I was on a Budget. I noticed immediately that the Falken Wildpeaks were excellent in rain, and grip the road well. They are relatively quiet, and nice to drive on for highway trips. They are "snow rated", have been great in snow and in 4WD. I understand they are not designed for Mud, but I don't really off-road through ongoing muddy conditions, and I don't Boulder climb or typically do "serious" off-roading. But I feel like the sidewall raised design would be protective for reasonable off-roading. I paid $151. each with free shipping on Amazon Prime, and you can find them for that same price now- ( Amazon 4.9 Star Rating out of 5 for 564 purchases). The only downside to big deep-track tires is that they will pick up gravel, though our gravel is not sharp, so no real issue...and is easily removed before going on the highway if the noise bothers you. Also, the tires are wearing well. I would recommend these to anyone that wants a versatile 4WD tire. Good Luck!

·
Desert Moderator
6,930 Posts
Cooper AT3 are awesome.
I have them on all my cars, They are awesome on the road, in the occasional but very heavy rain we get here, and absolutely legendary on sand.
They last for ever (I have to change tires every 3 years due to local safety regulations because of heat) - they're usually only 2/3 done when I have to swap them out, and no signs of heat stress etc, and are pretty quiet.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,237 Posts
@jjf3313 “Where the rubber meets the road” on Expedition Portal is an excellent write up of actual testing of some of the tires being mentioned here. As a result of this article I went Cooper 👍 with great results - ST Maxx and now STT Pro. I live in VT and they’re surprisingly good in winter which I know you have in your beautiful city (I was just there and love it!!). Cooper just redesigned the At3 so it actually looks pretty aggressive but according to many here, has phenomenal highway manners but offroads quite well.

·
Desert Moderator
6,930 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just installed AT3 4S I like them much better on pavement than the KO2s I had on there, I went with a non E rated this time and the ride is fantastic much smoother and better in every way acceleration,braking ,mileage etc.

Reactions: amaclach

·
Registered
305 Posts
Almost forgot, what did you have loaded in the back of your FJ to make it sit that low 😳
Lol I thought the same, I keep a ton of stuff back there and its not closets that even with my rack and bikes loaded on

·
Registered
305 Posts
After a lot of research I went with the toyo AT3 I live in Charlotte NC so I deal with Snow, sand, mud, clay and tsunami like rain fall depending on which direction I travel and I wanted something that could handle all if that...I also commute 40 miles round trip daily on the hwy at 80mph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, find them great both on-road and in the snow. Road noise is less than I expected too, about the same as the Pirelli all season Scorpions I had on it previously. Down side is I lost about 2 mpg on the freeway (from about 22 on a good day to 20). But I do not off-road with the FJ, it's strictly for skiiing. As an aside, I live in Washington but have a place in PC - you'll do fine with the AT3's in all but the craziest Utah snow, in which case they'll close Cottonwood anyway - lol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drive in the snow. I live in Park City, UT currently. It’s a ski town. But I’m planning a trip to Washington St where I will be going on a 4x4 adventure in about a week and plan on exploring the area a little while there
Goodyear Duratrac’s good all around, not too loud on the road.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
For my money I go for the quality of ride and durability. You just can't go wrong with Nitto or Toyo for best overall ratings. I have Nitto Terras on now, absolutely great on and off. Handling is amazing. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For my money I go for the quality of ride and durability. You just can't go wrong with Nitto or Toyo for best overall ratings. I have Nitto Terras on now, absolutely great on and off. Handling is amazing. Good luck.
I’ve run Nitto Terra Grapplers since new on my 08 and 14 FJ and F150s before. Great off road and quiet on road!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts