Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this seems to be the section for all things 'trailer' around here I thought I'd ask the experienced among us for a few insights. I've been looking for a utility trailer that I can play with/upgrade to pull with the FJ. The use of said trailer will probably be about 90% hauling crap and 10% beach runs/camping. Not looking to make a 'trail' trailer, but eventually I'd like to have the same bolt-spacing and ride height as the FJ. The other day I ran across this 4'x7' trailer with 24"H sides and a tailgate...

The seller is a former Land Cruiser owner-turned-parent who has sold all his toys and was friendly enough to drop a little off his original price. For the money I think this is good starter.

Now that you see where I'm coming from...

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...First off I think the tongue is too short and I'd like to have a platform extend at least two feet in front of the box for mounting/carrying fuel, water, propane, the spare, and a real tongue box. Then I would like the drawbar to extend another 18"-24" further to the hitch. I think the extra length would make for a better towing trailer and it would certainly make reverse maneuvering easier. Any suggestions on the design?

For the floor... Right now it's plywood that probably needs replacing. That's okay for cheap replacement, I guess, but would it be worthwhile to have a full floor welded in and have the whole thing Line-X'd?

Are trailer brakes really necessary at this low weight/size? I'm thinking maybe electric brakes down the road with a battery mounted in the proposed tongue box.

And about that tongue box and extra add-on storage... Would it be worth going with aluminum or steel, or would a poly box be better as this trailer will be exposed to the elements all the time? Would you just go the full-on metal/locking box routine?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Everything you said is a good start, it all depends on how much $ you want to spend, how quick or slow you want to spend it. I saw a comment you posted in another thread thats why I'm posting so late.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gee... I was perversely proud of the 'thread that never went anywhere'... :lol:

I bought that little beast of a trailer and I still have it. The thing turned out to be all steel construction with a metal floor (under the sheet of plywood) that was getting some pretty heavy perforations around the front end due to lack of drain holes. I no longer have any camping plans for it. It's become a good utility trailer for hauling brush, junk, firewood, or moving friends, and it's pretty [email protected] tough. Although I could still modify it, if I had known then what I know now after learning a lot on ExPo I probably would have passed on this one with camping in mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts