Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I agree with Lance that Moab is great, but with so many other events there I don't see a reason to move it. If there were a place with the great trails & scenery of Ouray further east, that may be OK - but so far I haven't seen any. The problem is there are really no mountains until you get to the east coast. Then you'll have all us westerners complaining about the drive :)
The "Summit" I think should stay in Ouray, but other "Summit" like events elsewhere would be really cool too ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Best deal here is to split 2-3 days in Ouray and 2-3 days in Moab. many people including us are planning to go to Moab before of after anyway so that might fit into your plans.

Still need the dates? we really are looking forward to the event in any case.:wave:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I did not read the entire thread, so this may have been offered, but...

The Roaring Fork Valley and the Aspen/Crested Butte/Glenwood Springs area has a lot to offer in the way of scenery, a wide range of challenges and lodging/camping options. The trails are more remote than Ouray, as would be the lodging and I'm not certain where the "nexus" would be. I spent years living/poking around up there, so... just a thought. The snow levels there would also necessitate a later date, perhaps mid-August.

Schofield Pass
TrailDamage.com - Schofield Pass
Pearl Pass
TrailDamage.com - Pearl Pass
Taylor Pass
TrailDamage.com - Taylor Pass
Italian Creek Road
TrailDamage.com - Italian Creek
Lead King Basin
TrailDamage.com - Lead King Basin
... to name a few...

For that matter, the Idaho Springs/Empire/Georgetown area has a lot to offer as well. The Mile Hi Jeep Club has their week-long All-4-Fun event in that neighborhood.

Spring Creek
TrailDamage.com - Spring Creek
Red Elephant
TrailDamage.com - Red Elephant Hill
Bill Moore Lake
TrailDamage.com - Bill Moore Lake
Saxon Mountain
TrailDamage.com - Saxon Mountain
Cascade Creek
TrailDamage.com - Cascade Creek

These are at lower elevations that the central Rockies, so less susceptible to high snow levels.

And then there's the Buena Vista area...

Grizzly Lake
TrailDamage.com - Grizzly Lake
Iron Chest
TrailDamage.com - Iron Chest
Old Chinamen's GUlch
TrailDamage.com - Chinaman Gulch
Carnage Canyon
TrailDamage.com - Carnage Canyon (BV)
Mount Antero
TrailDamage.com - Mount Antero
Boulder Mountain
TrailDamage.com - Boulder Mountain
Tincup Pass
TrailDamage.com - Tincup Pass
Mount Princeton
TrailDamage.com - Mount Princeton
Han**** Pass
TrailDamage.com - Han**** Pass

Buena Vista is usually clear most of the year, so snow would not be a concern in July for most of these trails

·
Registered
906 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crested Butte/Taylor Resevoir area
You have Taylor, Pearl, Tomichi and Schofield Passes that are more difficult trails. Tincup, Han****, Alpine Tunnel that are moderate trails. The area has some great scenery and great camping spots. The town of Crested Butte has plenty of nice places to stay if you don't like camping.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
I did not read the entire thread, so this may have been offered, but...

The Roaring Fork Valley and the Aspen/Crested Butte/Glenwood Springs area has a lot to offer in the way of scenery, a wide range of challenges and lodging/camping options. The trails are more remote than Ouray, as would be the lodging and I'm not certain where the "nexus" would be. I spent years living/poking around up there, so... just a thought. The snow levels there would also necessitate a later date, perhaps mid-August.

Schofield Pass
TrailDamage.com - Schofield Pass
Pearl Pass
TrailDamage.com - Pearl Pass
Taylor Pass
TrailDamage.com - Taylor Pass
Italian Creek Road
TrailDamage.com - Italian Creek
Lead King Basin
TrailDamage.com - Lead King Basin
... to name a few...

For that matter, the Idaho Springs/Empire/Georgetown area has a lot to offer as well. The Mile Hi Jeep Club has their week-long All-4-Fun event in that neighborhood.

Spring Creek
TrailDamage.com - Spring Creek
Red Elephant
TrailDamage.com - Red Elephant Hill
Bill Moore Lake
TrailDamage.com - Bill Moore Lake
Saxon Mountain
TrailDamage.com - Saxon Mountain
Cascade Creek
TrailDamage.com - Cascade Creek

These are at lower elevations that the central Rockies, so less susceptible to high snow levels.

And then there's the Buena Vista area...

Grizzly Lake
TrailDamage.com - Grizzly Lake
Iron Chest
TrailDamage.com - Iron Chest
Old Chinamen's GUlch
TrailDamage.com - Chinaman Gulch
Carnage Canyon
TrailDamage.com - Carnage Canyon (BV)
Mount Antero
TrailDamage.com - Mount Antero
Boulder Mountain
TrailDamage.com - Boulder Mountain
Tincup Pass
TrailDamage.com - Tincup Pass
Mount Princeton
TrailDamage.com - Mount Princeton
Han**** Pass
TrailDamage.com - Han**** Pass

Buena Vista is usually clear most of the year, so snow would not be a concern in July for most of these trails
My hood also has Kingston Peak, Empire Loop, Ute Creek, a great network of trails that goes to ol mines on both sides of my valley

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
oh and haunted ol cemetaries from the late 1800's... lots of history!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have been also thinking about this, at some point the crowd may want to go to another location...

I personally think Ouray/Durango/Telluride offer incredible views and rich history of our pioneer/gold rush era, that just can not be matched..

Colorado seems to also offer a Semi Mid point for both east and west travel, granted east coasters have to travel farther.

And finally I think that the trails themselves are mild and that is a good thing because it means the entire family can participate, if some family members do not wish to be rock crawling all day.

So in my mind, what could deliver equally the same flavor as Ouray??

-Possibly Crested Butte, which is the back side of Aspen. CB is a great town, quiet, no fast food...Trails are great and the highlight trail could be an overnight run from CB to Aspen. It is an authentic mining town. Lots of BLM land for camping vs. hotels..Only about 3 hours from Ouray and 4 from Telluride, if some still want to visit these areas before or after the Summit event.
-Possibly Jacskon Hole WY. Yellowstone national park and Teton National parks right there. Mountains are similar to Ouray's San Juan's. Families can plan vacations around this area so they can spend time at Yellowstone, see old faithful...But farther travel for all but those in the Northwest. Still this is probably my first choice.
-Banff Canada could also be a possibility, not sure about the wheeling but the views and mountain scapes are similar to Ouray.

I personally don't think Moab is the best choice because in July, it is hot, hot hot.. and that is no fun for a lot of folks..

Not sure this is timely as the thread seems to be winding down but thought I would toss in some ideas..

I think it is a well planned event and the current location is very appropriate for so many reasons, once again great job Summit planners!!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Didn't read pages 2-3, but will mention Hot Springs, Arkansas (Superlift OHV park nearby). Seems more centrally located than anything along the continental divide and there is some rich history there too.

Can't give any more details since I've only read about it and driven through once.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts