Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening Everyone,

I have been searching for about 1-2months now the setup I want. I have narrowed it down to 2; however, I would like some input/opinions on what is the best off road setup, and I have already seen a lot of opinions on the forums, but I am looking for something very specific. It has to be very durable, with good flex and my big worry is the 6" lift, as I have heard mixed reviews on durability (I have been told fabtech is the better choice for 6" vs rough country for off road). Also I am not a fan of 17inch rims off roading, for the 6inch, I would like 16'' at most. 6" lift would be ideal if its not mall crawler garbage parts that will break under heavy offroad usage. What I am looking for is about 80% offroad use, and maybe 20% on road use as I have other cars to drive. Purpose of the vehicle is to go mudding / trails & camping (installing a roof tent) up in New Brunswick Canada.

I linked both setups below, I will be installing 37" tires with a 3.5-4.5''+ or more negative offset, also relocating the front body mounts 4-6inches back for clearance, and possibly moving firewall if needed on both:

1/4" Body relocation mounts

3.5" lift from ICON With 1" body lift

OR
AND

6" lift from Fabtech

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts
It's going to be quicker, cheaper, & better to either buy a new Bronco or to put portals on it.
The cost and pain of making an FJ do that is going to be significant.
I'm going to guess you're looking at a minimum of $20K for those mods to actually work. The suspension arms are not long enough for 6" and just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Maybe buy a unimog?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,581 Posts
I have never seen anyone recommend a 6” lift. It isn’t going to give you significant extra ground clearance over a 3” and brings to many geometry changes to cause too many issues into the equation. Firemedic, Iconic and Deb have very very capable rigs as do many others here, none use a 6” lift

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts
With a 6" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 37" tires, and a rooftop tent, it's going to awful to ride in, awful to drive, and the CG is going to be ridiculously high - you're going to spend a LOT of money on this rig, and then it's going to fall over on the first off camber bend.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
You need to sell it and buy an 80 from the sound of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I second that.. for 80% off road use. SAS is going to be the hot ticket.
Yeah good point, I agree, my big thing was for the conversion, and cost it would probably be better just to get a jeep or something lol, but I love the FJ. I wish they came like that from factory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It's going to be quicker, cheaper, & better to either buy a new Bronco or to put portals on it.
The cost and pain of making an FJ do that is going to be significant.
I'm going to guess you're looking at a minimum of $20K for those mods to actually work. The suspension arms are not long enough for 6" and just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Maybe buy a unimog?
Yes the new bronco coming out looks sick, but Id rather have a 12k FJ with 20k in mods I can beat on. Ill probably buy a 2021 bronco in 2031, when I dont care to blow it up.

- Lol unimog, might at well just buy a Russian SHERP at that point :) (a few ppl do in canada for winter).

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
For the price of a SHERP you could kick in a couple bucks for a new UNIMOG. Guy down the street from me sells SHERP.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You can check out my build. 37’s not without a solid axle swap. I have an RC 6”/ Radflo coilovers, total chaos uppers /lowers with 35’s and still rub slightly at full articulations. This build is solid.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't have build thread or anything but I will share some flex shots of what my SAS got me. I'm running 315/75/16 on the factory rim. Body mounts were chopped to clear the tires prior to the SAS. You won't be able to gain much up travel either. Mine drives like garbage on the highway as well so if you are thinking SAS then you should most likely plan for a truck/trailer if you don't have that already. That all being said I love my end result. I can still run around town, it's just a little more of a chore to drive 60 mph now. Some quick info about my set up: All Pro SAS kit, King 2.5 coilovers w/ remote resovoir, Trail Gear Rockassault fully assembled front axle, Pro Comp springs from their 6" lift for the rear + 2" spacers . Also there's no way I would want a roof top tent on top of my build but I'm about 8" lifted. Not a doubt I can clear 37's, I'm just recouping costs now 😆 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 1.jpg

I don't post much but this forum has been like a bible for me. I used to constantly read up on the 6" vs 3" lift threads. Before SAS I had a 3" suspension + 1" body lift to fit my 315s. As I got more into rocks I ended up almost completely tearing off one of my LCA mounts from the frame which is what ultimately lead me to SAS. In the end it all comes down to what type of terrain you will spend the most time on and what your budget is. Maybe I was unlucky but I wouldn't trust the factory IFS mounts to hold up to serious rock crawling. Just my story. Feel free to ask any questions.

PS I don't know why my pics are scattered. They weren't when I previewed and this site has changed a bit since my last post🙄

Attachments

Reactions: amaclach

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
What sort of issues are you having driving above 60mph ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts