Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
For starters I have a ton of body roll. It's 5100 lbs and tall. No front sway bar and no room to fit one on my setup. There's also some slop in the steering wheel that I haven't been able to eliminate (about 1.5" each way). Hitting a bump on the highway will sometimes want to throw me into another lane if I'm going 65+. When this happens it can get a little sketchy trying to straighten back out while fighting the body roll. Uneven two lane roads like to push me around too. I've also held it at 75 just fine if it's a smooth, flat, straight section of highway but I don't have too much of that around me. So I keep it at 60 and it's manageable but definitely want 2 hands on the wheel. The factory sway did nothing and was scary to drive over 40. I then tried the Cusco rear sway that was miles better until it bent off road. Then I came across the one from Nolathane which was a little bit beefier and got me to where I'm at. While all of this may sound bad to some I still absolutely love it. It's built for me.

Premium Member
I don鈥檛 want to jack this thread but I am
Guessing you mounted your crossover steering like you did for clearance ? It should be like this

Attachments

Registered
Long time lurker first time posting. I鈥檝e owned my FJ for 5 years and kept it stock until about 6 months ago. I鈥檓 in the PNW mountains and on dirt roads fishing or exploring every weekend but never really went 鈥4wheeling鈥 until about 9 months ago. I had convinced myself I needed all these modifications before I could go. Eventually I broke out of that and just started going on my stock suspension and bald KO2 tires.
I didn鈥檛 know much about lift kits, suspension components, or automotive mechanics (still don鈥檛). I had been scouring this forum and anywhere else I could find information on which lift kit I should buy. I was looking at the exact same options as you and couldn鈥檛 make up my mind. I had wanted to go with a 6鈥 lift but there are so many people on here that are so negative towards them that I had pretty much given up on the idea in lieu of the 3鈥 icon. After a few weekends in a row of going out to the OHV with my GF (fianc茅 now) she got really into it and helped me make the decision. She wanted the larger lift and that was enough to help convince me. She actually said to spend the money she knew I had saved up for an engagement ring on the car, I didn鈥檛, but it鈥檚 nice to have your partner cheer you on for spending all your money on your toys.
I then went back and forth on fab tech (requires welding and cutting cross member), Pro comp (requires cutting cross members), or rough country (no cutting). You can get coil overs/ rear shocks from Icon/Radflow for the RC or have someone make you custom length shocks to fit any of those. Despite my initial hesitation due to rough country being more of a budget brand I went with the RC kit. Cost $1000 Plus 100 for spidertrax 1.5鈥 spacers to get around until I got new rims and tires. I wanted to install whatever lift I got myself and build my rig with my own hands. It took me a week to install it and it was hard as [email protected]! But totally worth it.
It鈥檚 been on for 5 months and I love. I went with 17鈥 rims, and 35 Dick Cepek MT鈥檚 which have been awesome.
It鈥檚 my daily driver and I have taken it out on trails at least twice a month. The lift is great and it鈥檚 an incredible difference. Ride quality is great, I don鈥檛 notice a difference and I drive pretty fast on very very windy roads in the mountains around Portland.
A couple other tips, there are not a lot of options for 35鈥 tires with the right rating- I chose D, I think C is light for off-roading/not keeping all 4 tires in the ground, especially when you have gear/armor/etc and I think E is to heavy especially without beadlocks.
This is a crazy long post but what I was getting at is go with your gut and your picture for what you want your FJ to look like. There are a lot of haters out there that are against the 6鈥 lift but I don鈥檛 think the reasons are all as valid as they believe. And I鈥檓 glad it didn鈥檛 discourage me, and don鈥檛 let it discourage you, it鈥檚 nice to have something a little different then the rest of the crowd.
If the main reason To not get a 6鈥 lift is that you are more Top heavy and could roll easier then okay, It鈥檚 true. You will be much taller then all the FJ鈥檚/4runnners/Jeeps with small lifts but with a wider stance (mine is probably 4鈥 or more now then stock) I don鈥檛 think the 鈥渢ipping point鈥 is that different. I also don鈥檛 think that you will frequently run into trails that will test that theory. That being said I don鈥檛 know if I would go with a RTT.

Registered
I don鈥檛 want to jack this thread but I am
Guessing you mounted your crossover steering like you did for clearance ? It should be like this
8.jpg
Mine is setup like this. I was told by the shop that did the swap that the geometry was actually better when they flipped the drag link to the bottom side. Also there are clearance issues between drag link/oil pan with up travel. This gave it a little more space. I have had it at another 4x4 shop that suggested setting it up like your pic. The six shooter steering knuckles that came on the axle are tapered in so I can't just flip it. I have to re align it. Bottom line is I'm out of "fun money" for now and I've gotten tired of tinkering with it. It's good enough for me to get to my local parks and I've always planned to trailer it for longer trips. Also really wasn't trying to thread jack either.

Back on track to OP. I just wanted to share my experience with you. Aside from my LCA mount being damaged, my whole front end was shot, bushings, tie rods, etc. So I was looking at repair + long travel setup vs SAS. Most people told me if I was going to spend that much I'd be better off selling my FJ and buying something else. That wasn't an option for me. In the end I went SAS because that's what I wanted and I think is best for the type of wheeling I do. I would take the advice of looking at different members builds on here and what they do vs what you want out of your FJ. If you want a 6" lift and a RTT then go for it. If you want to run 37's I'm on the train of telling you that you should be considering SAS. Point being build your rig for how you will use it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts