Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've been considering getting into a Toyota FJ 2012 recently. I'm stationed over in Germany and there are not a ton of good car deals here, but this FJ just recently caught my eye.

I'm pretty interested, but would love some advice and opinions on the pricing or just in general. I still need to go test drive, but I want to make sure this is a good deal before I go drive an hour to check this out. Also I've been looking at the packages for the 2012 year and it doesn't seem like it should come in red unless its the special edition, but its in red and has some upgraded features...would love to know if anyone could figure out what package this FJ actually comes with.

Thanks ahead of time for advice and opinions.

Here is the link to the FJ: Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 // Our Cars // Military Used Car Sales (MUCS)
$24,995
2012 in radiant red with 6 speed manual and 4x4.
-48,950 miles
-"offroad package"
-rearview camera
-upgraded dampers
-locking differentials
-running boards
-JBL sound system

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,323 Posts
Hello and welcome. Firstly I'll say I am the bottom of the knowledge pile on here but I'll make some observations that might help.

For the US the 2012 TT was Radiant Red but this is not a TT so I would say it is not US spec. As it is LHD it is most likely a Middle East spec. If you plan to take it back to the US when you return I think this will cause issues, if not make it impossible so beware. (Or it is a US car and has been sprayed red but the photos of under the hood suggest it is factory paint).

It appears to have what was the Upgrade Package for the US but again if it is not a US car then the packages are different.

Other than that it looks good and the price is good, here in the UK there was a US spec 2012 TT for £29,000 last year on a dealer lot.

See if you can get a close up shot of the VIN Plate on the left hand rear door shut. I think the VIN will confirm the country it was built for.

( @amaclach does this look like a Gulf car?)

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
If you look closely, ad says "US SPEC" and that color was only supposed to be for 2012 Trail Team? Has silver mirrors and other exterior trim, not "blacked out" like usual TT, not does it have 2 tone red & black seats like TT? NOT TT wheels, not did silver cover come on spare: but does have correct tires. Being a 6 speed is rare, so that is a "plus", if that is your preference, Oh, doesn't have OEM roof rack that is standard on TT. Would use VIN to verify US Spec and to see maintain & warranty; plus recall history. Auto Check and CarFax likely not available overseas. Dont know if this FJ could have been part of production run adversely affected by hurricane/tsunami as were some of 11TT? I have an 11 TT. There were parts shortages that made it impossible to complete as original TT! Buying Few blackout parts needed to replace silver exterior pieces would not be that expensive and likely could find 5 of black 16" TT wheels for $125-150 and I would do black trim and black TT wheels, if I were buying: but obviously your call. Does have desirable dash guage cluster, A Track,etc.; plus big stereo with sub. IMHO, the two-tone red& black seats makes the interior: but all black is not horrible. Personally, I did not care for missing OEM roof rack, so a Baja, ARB or other would be better choice, once you get back home.

Others more knowledgeable than me could provide information I didn't mention. Title, might say NTTSE for Non Trail Team Special Edition to diferentiate for TTSE that has all standard items?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I asked for the VIN, we'll see if they send it to me. Would love to get to the bottom of the colour situation.
Never thought it could be from the Middle East! Would definitely make it near impossible to get it back to the states. Fingers crossed it's not. Would much prefer it to be part of the production shortage, which is actually kinda crazy. Didn't even notice the roof...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
If it is truly a US spec vehicle and can be brought back here...with radiant red, manual and non-TT version....this is a one of a kind vehicle.

If its US Spec and they can prove it....I would jump on it at that price and miles.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,323 Posts
As Busterfuzz has listed there are a lot of TT 'parts' missing. I thought that the NSSE was only on the army green 2011 models hadn't heard of it on the 2012's.

I can't see anyone swapping out all the black exterior parts for silver, or changing the interior, (seats and steering wheel). Tyres are consumables so tell us little. The wheels are not NSSE "9 (which had black steel rims) but again an easy swap. The Red was available as a solid (inc roof) colour in Australia, South Africa and Middle East so I still reckon it is most likely to be a Middle East spec and not a US spec car and the dealer hasn't realised.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hello! I've been considering getting into a Toyota FJ 2012 recently. I'm stationed over in Germany and there are not a ton of good car deals here, but this FJ just recently caught my eye.

I'm pretty interested, but would love some advice and opinions on the pricing or just in general. I still need to go test drive, but I want to make sure this is a good deal before I go drive an hour to check this out. Also I've been looking at the packages for the 2012 year and it doesn't seem like it should come in red unless its the special edition, but its in red and has some upgraded features...would love to know if anyone could figure out what package this FJ actually comes with.

Thanks ahead of time for advice and opinions.

Here is the link to the FJ: Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 // Our Cars // Military Used Car Sales (MUCS)
$24,995
2012 in radiant red with 6 speed manual and 4x4.
-48,950 miles
-"offroad package"
-rearview camera
-upgraded dampers
-locking differentials
-running boards
-JBL sound system
Where are you stationed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. So they sent me the title. Here is the vin# JTEBU4BF5CK125151
I tried to enter that on the Toyota Owners website and nothing came up. Entered it on some random pin decoder websites and it pops up showing an FJ. Will upload the title if that's recommended?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,323 Posts
So if they sent you a Title is it a US Title? if so then you're OK.

If you're interested then for an hours drive I'd go take a look. Then take photos of all the stickers you can find, door shuts and the emissions stickers under the hood will tell you if it is a US car.

From the dealer pictures all the stickers appear to be in English, the only one that almost looks like there's some Arabic writing is the gas strut on the rear door, but that is not clear enough to be sure.

·
Desert Moderator
6,206 Posts
Hello and welcome. Firstly I'll say I am the bottom of the knowledge pile on here but I'll make some observations that might help.

For the US the 2012 TT was Radiant Red but this is not a TT so I would say it is not US spec. As it is LHD it is most likely a Middle East spec. If you plan to take it back to the US when you return I think this will cause issues, if not make it impossible so beware. (Or it is a US car and has been sprayed red but the photos of under the hood suggest it is factory paint).

It appears to have what was the Upgrade Package for the US but again if it is not a US car then the packages are different.

Other than that it looks good and the price is good, here in the UK there was a US spec 2012 TT for £29,000 last year on a dealer lot.

See if you can get a close up shot of the VIN Plate on the left hand rear door shut. I think the VIN will confirm the country it was built for.

( @amaclach does this look like a Gulf car?)
Sorry for the late reply - Nope - not a gulf spec FJ.
MT only appeared in '13 I think and the trim on the MT was the lowest - no steering wheel audio controls, no cruise, no electric mirrors, no JBL sound system, and no "packages" like tow etc - just base/EXR, Mid/GXR, Top/VXR and Xtreme. All but the base/EXR are AT - and the base models are rarer than hen's teeth.

To me it looks like a US spec model - check the stickers in the door jamb - Gulf spec have a bunch of Arabic, the exterior mirror glass has Arabic on it too (objects may be closer...) and the speedo is in km/h the US spec is in mph (in fact only the US spec should be in mph, and this appears to be the case.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, sorry guys I ran out of time to look before going on a longish TDY! Thanks for all this info. I won't be back in Germany for a few more weeks, but if it's not sold (which I'm doubting it will be, due to the area) I will go look and update yall (maybe even get a better price assuming its American).

Definitely still excited to check this out and definitely in need of a second car there haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts