Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, currently I'm looking to buy one. Throughout my life I have owned a Toyota Highlander 2002, I loved it. But recently, I fell in love with the FJ Cruiser. I'm looking for used ones in PR (where I'm from) and I stumble upon this forum. I'm looking for tips, advice or any information to make a good purchase and later on, maintaining my future FJ.
Looking forward to your tips and thank you for your wisdom and time.

PS: tips I'm looking for:
  • The best year to buy one
  • Things to look for when buying one
  • Cons of owning one
  • Anything you guys want to tell me

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
FWIW I went for the 2010+ for the more robust rear diff and frame (and a few more horse power), because I take it off road. If you aren't going to do more than light off-roading that might not matter so much to you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get one with 4 wheel drive you need it with all the snow in Puerto Rico! Lol No seriously get one 2010 or newer for the extra horsepower.

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
Dont. The FJ will be the cheap part of ownership, mods........mods are $$$ and never end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Jesus,

Look for several things when shopping for a FJC or any vehicle. Find one with good maintenance/low mileage and also find one without big rust issues underneath. An FJC might look beautiful on inside and on top; lush seats and lovely paint but this is superficial. Toyota used good paint and quality materials for interior and this masked the abuse that some owners pushed their vehicles thru.

When buying your FJC, be certain to look carefully at the bottom of vehicle. If rusty, walk away.

Here's hoping you get a good one!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hi joshua.r.f, welcome from central Ohio!
The best FJ depends a lot on you priorities. However, I think that there aren't good or bad FJs, just different FJs.
Jimmy Buffett's guide that EASTFLFJ linked to will get you going.
Some questions to ask yourself are MT vs AT, AT 4WD vs AT 2WD, 2007-9 vs 2010-14, does it have the A-TRAC option, color - a specific color may dictate a specific year, does it come with Mods you want or were going to buy.
Finding 'your' FJ is part of the fun. Good luck with the search and post updates as you go.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Welcome to the show. (insert cheers emoji here)

Get the one you want!

·
Premium Member
16,451 Posts
Welcome aboard! Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I looked around for several months before locating a 2012 with one owner, never taken off road, and a great Toyota service record. Toyota has a web site you can input a VIN and pull up the vehicle info and Toyota service history. Very useful. Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners
Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Toyota has a web site you can input a VIN and pull up the vehicle info and Toyota service history. Very useful.
Assuming, of course, that the owner takes it to the dealer for service. I certainly don't let those shysters near my FJ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jesus,

The main thing is to find one without rust issues underneath vehicle. I own both 2WD and 4WD FJC. If you can find low-mileage, nicely maintained, rust-free vehicle in either configuration, that's the one I'd go for. A 2WD makes a nice hot-rod. A 4WD is a pig unless you'll be off-roading.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm glad I had my flashlight when shopping for an fj. The first thing I looked at was the under side. A couple looked so bad that I didn't even look any further, would not have purchased at any price. I was fortunate to find one with a frame that looks great, even has the factory hand written assembly line marking on the frame.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts