Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to buy an Fj 2011 pics are up page 5

Hi everyone first post

I am looking to buy an Fj 2009 or 2010 in Iceberg white or sand/tan color. 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive but, I think I would rather have the 4x4 option.
I would like to have the TRD package and the upgrade package that has the diff lock, stability control, power mirrors, ect…

I own and daily drive an 1988 Toyota 4runner that is for the most part fully restored and is a 9 out of 10 in condition. My 4Runner is a great truck and I get around 20 MPG with it. She has the 22re 5 speed manual transmission. Power is not great but she is tried and true and will never let you down. I don’t off road but I do like the 4x4 look and like the idea of knowing I can go pretty much anywhere with the truck.
Down side to my old 4Runner is passenger seat is not adjustable for tall people that need more leg room and no cup holders LOL.

The Fj seems like the most likely step up from my old T4R because the Fj has a classic style and look and is as capable as my never kill 4Runner. I like the Fj very much I have a friend with one and have road in it and thought it was very cool.

My only concern is….will I get the same gas mileage as I do with my old 4Runner? What can I expect to get as far as fuel economy with the 2 wheel drive Fj verses the 4 wheel drive Fj around town or highway?

I have my eye on 2 Fjs right now…A all white 2009 TRD 2 wheel drive with the conveyance package, Toyota guard, and TRD package. The rig has 24k miles and is a Toyota certified vehicle 7 year 100 mile warrantee. Price is $24,500 The rig is super clean and looks new!!

2nd Fj I’m looking at is out of state and is at a none Toyota car lot. It is a 2010 TT 4x4 in Sand and black. The rig is fully loaded with extras and looks great in pics. She has high miles for the year 58k!!
Out the door price is $27,867

I would like to trade my 2002 Honda S2000 or just sell out right and buy the Fj.
I will also be selling my 4runner because the Fj will be it's replacement.

I am in Florida and would like to stay in state to buy

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

If you get 6 speed manual FJ, which is full time all-wheel-drive you`ll be around 17 MPG on average, give or take. Depends on your driving style, etc.
If you get 4x4 auto, you`ll be around 20 mpg, again depends on your driving style.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a performance advantage to the 6 speed trans? I would think the automatic trans with the option to switch into 4 wheel drive would be a better choice.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Is there a performance advantage to the 6 speed trans? I would think the automatic trans with the option to switch into 4 wheel drive would be a better choice.
It`s a slippery subject hehe.. Lets just say that is a matter of personal preference. I mean there are advantages and disadvantages, but if gas mileage is your concern, auto would be a good choice for you. Personally i like 6MT, that`s what i drive.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It`s a slippery subject hehe.. Lets just say that is a matter of personal preference. I mean there are advantages and disadvantages, but if gas mileage is your concern, auto would be a good choice for you. Personally i like 6MT, that`s what i drive.
LOL
I don't understand why Toyota made it full time 4X4 and not like my old 4Runner where you have to engage the 4 wheel drive?
I do like the 6 speed but, don't like that I cant turn off the 4x4 or that I will get 3 MPG less:(
I will go for the auto because of that....

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1st, Fj all white 2009 TRD 2 wheel drive with the conveyance package, Toyota guard, and TRD package. The rig has 24k miles and is a Toyota certified vehicle 7 year 100 mile warrantee. Price is $24,500 The rig is super clean and looks new!!

2nd, Fj I’m looking at is out of state and is at a none Toyota car lot. It is a 2010 TT 4x4 in Sand and black. The rig is fully loaded with extras and looks great in pics. She has high miles for the year 58k!!
Out the door price is $27,867

What do you guys think of these deals?

·
Registered
476 Posts
What do you guys think of these deals?

I think you could buy a new 4X4 AT conv pkg2 for around less than $30K, I did.

The great think is the FJ holds it's value very well. That being said why not just go new for all the advantages that new has for just a few $$$ more? If you can afford the used on you can afford the new unit.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want to spend more than 30k and if I buy new I will. A 28/29K rig after tax and fees will be well over 30....
I would like to spend low to mid 20s and thats the deal I have now with the low mile 2009 TRD white.
As for the 2010 TT....that is $28k she is clean, has pretty much every option, and is bone stock but has crazy miles for a 10. With all that is on the TT I'm guessing it was near $40K new.

·
Registered
790 Posts
that's great you are looking at an fj. All I have to say is you found this site which is awesome but it also has a way of making you get the mod bug. I say get the 4X4. Then you'll see if you stay around awhile what you can do with it and ways to improve. Good Luck in making your choice.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, now I started looking at 2011s:thinkerg:
I found a 11 TRD 4x4 auto with Toyota guard, convenience package, and TRD package. It is green with a roof rack, locking rear diff and stability control.
It has 4 miles on it.

Asking $31,995........what do you think of this setup and price

I know all about the mod bug lol I have a S2000:D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want $13,500 for my S it only has 50k miles. If they give me $13 and discount to $31 on the Fj I may go for it.
Do you think they could go $29,900?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is what I'm going to do:bandit: I like the truck but I would be more happy if it had the off road pkg or was a TT.

Here is the funny part, I will never go off road with it LOL. I like the inclinometer and that is part of the off road pkg. I have one in my old
4Runner and everyone that rides in the truck with me loves it, thinks it is the neatest thing:lol:

I am putting the 88 4Runner up on Craig's list for 10k and see what happens:bigthumb: She is near show room new looking and only street used I even have a 7" in dash navi/DVD in the old rig...looks stock too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Ivan70 I checked out some of your build thread...very cool:bigthumb: I have a few questions about the control panel below the radio and A/C control. What is the button for on the bottom row far right? I never seen that space on any Fj used, it always has the blank insert.....
I read that I can just buy the A-track button and install it and that will give me the option, is that true? I'm guessing they are all wired for it??

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PMs answerd...thanks guys:wave:

I took a new Green 4x4 TRD out for a test drive tonight. Truck had 3 miles on it now it has 5:lol: not much of a drive but I did get a feel for the Fj....I'm not sure about the narrow windshield it will take getting use to.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I am down to 2 choices, a 2010 TT with less than 9k miles clean, never off road for between $28 maybe to $31,xxx still talking on the deal:)

Second choice is a sandstorm color 4x4 auto with white roof 2011 with conv. package and option #3 as well as many other bolt ons for $35,300 out the door. This truck has a sticker of $34,8xx

I have a question...what is a NSSE Fj? I am new to the Fj:confused:

I have had a few PMs asking about my 1988 4Runner:D she is pretty sweet and gets a lot of eyes going down the road and at the gas pump....here are a few pics:)

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most of the "bolt-ons" can be had after market for either less money or higher quality (or both). Check Truecar.com for pricing info. I found many FJ's under invoice. Neither of those deals sound all that good to me. If that's "out the door", including TT&L, then it might be better . Harder to give suggestions on what makes a good deal if TT&L is included because that varies quite a bit from state to state.

NSSE is the "not so special edition". Basically a Toyota error that looks like a Trails Team but isn't. Lots of info on the forum if you do a quick search. That's what I bought.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts