Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my eye's on these things for a few years. I hope to buy one around 15K. I hear they are very reliable, but at what mileage point is it not worth buying for that price point? What are some common issues you have with your truck?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Two and a half years ago I bought a 2010 with 120,000 on it. It has 195,000 on it now. I had to spend $400 to get a rear axle seal replaced. Other than that it’s oil and tires. I found one at a dealer. I am the second owner. The first owner had all the maintenance done at the same dealer. She never missed an oil change. I’m hoping to get to 300,000. I spent $16,500, so a little more than you want to, but you could maybe find that same 2010 now for $15K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
be sure to read this:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you were going to buy a 2007-2008 today what common things would you check out before purchase besides the rear diff noises?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Second owner of a 2013 that I purchased about 2 months ago with 201k miles. Had it checked over before purchasing and was given a thumbs up. Mechanic was shocked at how tight and clean it was.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
If you were going to buy a 2007-2008 today what common things would you check out before purchase besides the rear diff noises?
Maintenance record. I would want to make sure they have kept up on fluid changes including transmission, transfer case, and front and rear differentials. Would also inspect frame/suspension closely for rust. Most differential failures would have occurred by now. Listen for any rear/front differential whine that changes when accelerating, or coasting.

I would also look for any [email protected] wiring and aftermarket add ons. Look for poor suspension lifts (e.g. spacer lifts) or improper work. Worn suspension, unevenly worn tires, etc. When I buy used, the closer I can get it to OEM configuration the better. This advice pretty much applies to any used vehicle that you buy. Avoid shoddy repairs and work from previous owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts