Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
I replaced mine with a pretty generic Android unit a few years ago. I then added an aftermarket Apple Airplay unit that plugs in through USB and hooked it all up behind the unit. Works flawlessly and phone auto connects to headunit when I start up.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will get pics in the morning. I ended up getting a kunfine unit off Amazon for 80 bucks on a cyber Monday deal. It’s the cheapest unit with not a lot of ram or storage. Waiting for the auto kit to come in for wireless CarPlay. I installed it tonight, took about half an hour trying to be careful with the ribbon cables switching it all over. The unit itself is pretty snappy, I was expecting a slow boot, slow scrolling but it impressed me. I figured for 80 bucks it’ll give me something better than an old kenwood head unit.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Trip computer Automotive design

few days since I installed it. Super easy install, plug and play once you swap the controls. I got the cheaper quad core low ram unit so it’s not too quick opening apps but it’s not horrible either. Once I figured out how to hotspot my iPhone to it I was off to the races loading apps. It was definitely worth the price I paid and will hold me off for a while for a faster unit with CarPlay.

· Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I went with Joying. Very easy to deal with & fast shipping!
Product Electronic engineering Gadget Gas Auto part

Automotive design Gadget Audio equipment Electronic device Auto part

Reactions: 1shotboats

· Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 1221287

few days since I installed it. Super easy install, plug and play once you swap the controls. I got the cheaper quad core low ram unit so it’s not too quick opening apps but it’s not horrible either. Once I figured out how to hotspot my iPhone to it I was off to the races loading apps. It was definitely worth the price I paid and will hold me off for a while for a faster unit with CarPlay.
Hi, I got the same unit, and I installed last night, but my subwoofer and steering wheel controls aren't working. Were you able to get yours up and running?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ANy of these units have built in GPS with off-line maps ?

The kunfine I have came with a gps antenna, pretty sure the one I ordered does too. I’m sure you can download an offline map but need to make sure you have a unit with enough space. You can hotspot to it and download most things on the play store. It comes with google maps and apparently there’s an offline mode. I’ll have to play with it tomorrow to see

· Premium Member
1,933 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts

· Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Yes it does; however, I did not purchase a separate front facing camera. I did include OBD & TPMS on my purchase. After research, I also maxed out the RAM as well. Let me know if you'd like more details...

Reactions: Hamad974

· Registered
172 Posts
Yes it does; however, I did not purchase a separate front facing camera. I did include OBD & TPMS on my purchase. After research, I also maxed out the RAM as well. Let me know if you'd like more details...
Im emailing i guess there customer service but they keep refferring to a front facing camera as in a dash cam... I guess my thing is is there a extra video-in option to having a front facing and back camera to be on at the same time when offroading on the screen like some other head units out there

· Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Let me look at my instructions b/c there are two A/V inputs which allow for both front & back camera. I'll verify when I get home. My FJ already has rear camera, & I don't need a front one, so I did not use those inputs.

Reactions: Hamad974

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Automotive lighting Vehicle

Mobile phone Communication Device Portable communications device Telephony Mobile device

Computer Gadget Personal computer Entertainment Netbook

The second one arrived yesterday. Install was just as easy. This one is the Octa core 6gb ram and 128gb storage. Miles above the cheaper one, wireless CarPlay is super nice audio output is much better than the other one I had ordered. I’m not huge on the wider screen because I felt like the other one was just right but all in all I’m happy with this unit and digging the functionality

· Registered
172 Posts
View attachment 1223426
View attachment 1223424
View attachment 1223425

The second one arrived yesterday. Install was just as easy. This one is the Octa core 6gb ram and 128gb storage. Miles above the cheaper one, wireless CarPlay is super nice audio output is much better than the other one I had ordered. I’m not huge on the wider screen because I felt like the other one was just right but all in all I’m happy with this unit and digging the functionality
wow that looks nice, does it have the function where you can add a front facing camera and rear camera. thats the joying stereo correct. You didn't have to use a different dash plate you used the orginal dash plate that came with car. No need to transfer all the climate controls and other stuff on the dash?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow that looks nice, does it have the function where you can add a front facing camera and rear camera. thats the joying stereo correct. You didn't have to use a different dash plate you used the orginal dash plate that came with car. No need to transfer all the climate controls and other stuff on the dash?
There are multiple inputs for cameras. Believe one was marked front. It’s the kunfine off of Amazon and it does come with a new bezel that you have to swap climate controls into. It’s not difficult, took me about 10 minutes to swap everything in and another 10 to realize the bottom of the screen needed a spacer to keep it off the defrost button. All in all I think it’s a great option to a traditional head unit and much cheaper for the functionality it has. Amazon has this unit for 296 shipped. They said it’d take a month to get but came much quicker than that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts