Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install fog lights as I really like the look of having fog lights in the front on the original bumper. Eventually I'll get the wiring harness and switch to complete the install but for now it's just for looks. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to which/what type of fog lights I can purchase? Looking for the OEM or aftermarket lights as long as they look similar to the factory ones. Any help is greatly appreciated. These will be installed on the factory bumber. Trying to keep it completely stock. I was looking for the factory brush guard with fog lights but another member stated that those brush guards are damage multipliers and don't add any protection.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Re: Looking to install fog lights.....

I would love some OEM foglight with harness/switch. Following this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts

There are several threads here with the Toyota part numbers for the switch and so on, also telling you where the pre-wired wires are in the center console and near the firewall.

Check out my avatar below, these are a pair of 7" PIAA LED driving lights, crazy bright and match the styling of the OEM headlights very nicely.

To install them, use the PIAA stainless steel "hidden bracket" kit, which is far superior to the TRD painted brackets which rusted after only a couple of winters. The stainless steel parts should still be as good as new for a long time. For reference, this kit, which is available from the PIAA website, is a copy of the original SET/GST kit sold by dealers in the south east US during original FJ production.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

There are several threads here with the Toyota part numbers for the switch and so on, also telling you where the pre-wired wires are in the center console and near the firewall.

Check out my avatar below, these are a pair of 7" PIAA LED driving lights, crazy bright and match the styling of the OEM headlights very nicely.

To install them, use the PIAA stainless steel "hidden bracket" kit, which is far superior to the TRD painted brackets which rusted after only a couple of winters. The stainless steel parts should still be as good as new for a long time. For reference, this kit, which is available from the PIAA website, is a copy of the original SET/GST kit sold by dealers in the south east US during original FJ production.
Is this the kit?

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/720-PIAA-Toyota-FJ-Cruiser-2007-2014-Bumper-Mounting-Bracket-Kit.aspx

Did you have to do drilling?

I am fine with the PIAA - I will search it.

Were you able to use the Toyota switch and the prewired wires etc?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Check for FJ Cruiser auxiliary light kit on google. That is what Toyota called them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
"Is this the kit? http://www.piaa.com/store/p/720-PIAA...acket-Kit.aspx"

yes

"Did you have to do drilling?"

yes, two holes in the top of the plastic bumper for the light posts to go through, other than those two, the other mounting points use existing bumper attaching fasteners underneath

"Were you able to use the Toyota switch and the prewired wires etc?"

yes, as TS Farling suggested, search on the internet for one of the Toyota wiring kits, hopefully some are still around and available

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

yes

yes, two holes in the top of the plastic bumper for the light posts to go through, other than those two, the other mounting points use existing bumper attaching fasteners underneath

yes, as TS Farling suggested, search on the internet for one of the Toyota wiring kits, hopefully some are still around and available
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

yes

using this kit was it plug and play with piaa?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-FJ-Cruiser-Fog-Light-Lamp-Switch-Harness-Kit-Genuine-OEM-OE/273798932920?pageci=4d06f5c8-46ae-48e3-8205-f85def6e7634

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

norm

Do you have the exact 7” piaa led model number i can order ?

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
The factory didn't have fog lights. The lights that attach to the factory brackets are a driving light pattern. And only illuminate with high beams. The closest that you can get would be Hella 500 lamps. You can get FJ covers on Ebay or other sites. But run this via its own switch.

Myself or others can run you through the process if you are okay with doing electrical stuff.

I have Hella 550 lamps on my bumper, mainly used to illuminate the sides of the road and cornering.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The factory didn't have fog lights. The lights that attach to the factory brackets are a driving light pattern. And only illuminate with high beams. The closest that you can get would be Hella 500 lamps. You can get FJ covers on Ebay or other sites. But run this via its own switch.

Myself or others can run you through the process if you are okay with doing electrical stuff.

I have Hella 550 lamps on my bumper, mainly used to illuminate the sides of the road and cornering.
Where i live, the last two miles have to atreerylights and lots of animals (deer/bear), so late nights i would like more output

Thank you for hella suggestion

Appreciate your advice

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Another option would be LED 'Cornering" lights. A flat wide beam seems to be what you might want. These can be had for cheap to hundreds of $.

I have two cheap 27 watt floods on the rear of my roof rack, and 42 watt floods on both sides near the front of the roof rack. These get used a lot. Backing out of a parking spot at night and intersections at night.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Another option would be LED 'Cornering" lights. A flat wide beam seems to be what you might want. These can be had for cheap to hundreds of $.

I have two cheap 27 watt floods on the rear of my roof rack, and 42 watt floods on both sides near the front of the roof rack. These get used a lot. Backing out of a parking spot at night and intersections at night.
i have the 210 led reverse diode dynsmic light - so i am set in reverse 🙂

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello,

Wanted to thank you (norm356) for your input in regards to the fog lights. I will be taking your advice and purchase the fog lights recommended. Are these the ones?

PIAA | PIAA LP570 LED White Long Range Driving Beam Kit #05772

Also, the hidden bracket kit you recommended is not in stock, any other options or will the installation hardware that comes with the fog lights above work?

Also, will I be able to use the following OEM wiring harness and switch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273798932920?ul_noapp=true

or should I just use the wiring harness that comes with the obove fog lights from PIAA?

Thank you for your help. Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
843 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Where i live, the last two miles have to atreerylights and lots of animals (deer/bear), so late nights i would like more output

Thank you for hella suggestion

Appreciate your advice

They are definitely great for that. I use them for that reason and when out in the desert at night.

·
Registered
843 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, it will work with the OEM lights. Make sure it has the relay as well. The wiring makes it a simple install. I have all the part numbers on my build for what you need.

May you please send me all the part numbers? What are the bracket part numbers?

Thanks

·
Registered
843 Posts
May you please send me all the part numbers? What are the bracket part numbers?

Thanks

It’s all in that link to the thread

1 - 20 of 24 Posts