Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some parts for the 95k service, local Dealer wanted $1067.00 for it, so I plan on doing it myself. I just looked at the coolant and it is orange = Dexcool. I have 2 gallons of the Asin red 50/50 on the way which I will used when I can do a complete flush, but it is 26F here now and all my hoses are shut off for the winter. I was just going to do a quick drain and fill with the red before I discovered the Dexcool.

Will the Dexcool be good till summer??

Also the battery has a date code of 4/17 so not to old but it looks small and has a "made in Brazil" sticker. I was under the impression that car quest battery's came from East Penn manufacturing in the US? Any ways the battery is a 24F is that good enough, I have been seeing 27F for the FJ.

2011 95k AT

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Maybe just really old Toyota red? Why in the world anybody would use Dexcool in a FJ (or anything IMHO). It does look like that nasty orange I had in a Pontiac once though.

Maybe somebody added green coolant to top off?

In my little world, I would do the drain and fill till spring. Somebody will be along with more technical answers shortly though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If its dexcool you'll want to get that out of there. Dexcool or dexclog is nasty stuff. Gms sub 100,000 miles get clogged with it. Very messy

·
A-Team Moderator
9,470 Posts
If you don't know what it is and it's 26*, I'd be using a bucket of warm water from the inside the house and a funnel. Drain that out into another bucket or a plastic bin if the FJ is in the garage?

Unscrew the battery caps and check those levels and maybe some dielectric grease on those terminals too.

How about the washer fluid, is it below freezing rated? The line to the rear runs through the cab, under the door sill plate, into the cargo area, under the rear door sill plate and into the rear door on the hinge side. Be a shame if it froze and ruptured. The bottle itself sits low in front of the RF wheel, just behind the wheel well liner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will get it out as soon as possiable. I figured out the battery is a Johnson Controls built,they have some that come out of Brazil.
I purchased some rain ex -25 I will flush through.

Took a plug out, can not tell how old it is. Was going to clean the throttle but it was clean. Was going to do the differentials and transfer case as part of the service but the fluids are all clear and clean .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changed the coolant, I flushed 8 gallons of distilled water through the system then flushed 2 gallons of Asin 50/50 pink then used 2 gallons of Toyoya 50/50 pink. still looks orange, so I guess it was not dexcool just old toyota pink. The Asin pink looks true pink but the toyota pink has an orange hue to it straight from the bottle.
Also changed the plugs looks like the gap on the old plugs was almost double the gap on new plugs. Last fuel MPG on the old plugs was 19 MPG.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice job getting that coolant taken care of. When you said the old plugs were twice the gap of the new, I couldn't help but wonder if you still checked the new plugs gap vs spec?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts