Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Give it the smell test. All the fluids have a distinct feel and smell. That's how I tell what it is. Finding the source, now that's a different story..
Good luck.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
This is arm-chair mechanical advice, so take it for what it's worth... It is hard to determine the type of fluid from the photos. However, if you are sure that it is transmission fluid and that it is coming from the openings in the bell housing that you indicated, it could be that your torque converter is leaking or the front seal of the transmission. Did your transmission get very hot when you were wheeling? You can check your fluid to see if it has been toasted. Your bell housing should not be open to the more sensitive internal compartment of your transmission unless your torque converter or seal is leaking badly... Of course, I've never seen the inside of this particular bell housing and so don't know for sure what other points for leaking their might be.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
If it is trans fluid coming out from the bell housing then it's probably the front seal in the trans which is behind the torque converter. Trans has to come out to fix that.
Toyota does not fix transmissions. If it has an issue they just replace them period... I heard this from a very reliable source
Ohh by the way mine has been replaced
thanks
Don

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Toyota does not fix transmissions. If it has an issue they just replace them period... I heard this from a very reliable source
Ohh by the way mine has been replaced
thanks
Don
How long did it take to get it back?

And thanks for all the feedback from everyone. I still have not had a chance to get it up to the dealer but have been monitoring it very closely. It seems to be a super slow leak as there is not a lot of fluid forming.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was finally able to get it to the dealer this morning and they just called. Looks like my Rear Main Seal and my Timing Chain Cover(?) are leaking. They said it would be done tomorrow afternoon! :bouncy: and under warranty! :bouncy: :bouncy:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I was finally able to get it to the dealer this morning and they just called. Looks like my Rear Main Seal and my Timing Chain Cover(?) are leaking. They said it would be done tomorrow afternoon! :bouncy: and under warranty! :bouncy: :bouncy:
That is fantastic news!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Rear main seal sounds right, but I think we have timing belts not chains. Might want to get them to clarify, I would like to know myself.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Rear main seal sounds right, but I think we have timing belts not chains. Might want to get them to clarify, I would like to know myself.
I was up there this morning and he said they already fixed the timing chain part but I will ask specifically when I pick it up. They are just waiting for the rear main seal to arrive.

O, they gave me a Prius!!! I am getting better gas millage though :lol:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got my FJ back last night! All warranty!!! Only thing that sucks is they had to drain my oil (just put royal purple in) but thats ok cause I didn't pay for NOTHING!!!

And the FJ felt like a tank after driving the Prius for 2 days.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
We have a timing chain.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve got a leak coming from somewhere near the end of my drive shaft, I just replaced the cv axle yesterday and the seal was leaking on that too but now there’s another leak coming from the rear end if the drive shaft...any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
I’ve got a leak coming from somewhere near the end of my drive shaft, I just replaced the cv axle yesterday and the seal was leaking on that too but now there’s another leak coming from the rear end if the drive shaft...any ideas?
Sounds like you are describing a leaking rear pinion seal, area 1? Make sure its not instead leaking from area 2 this is much more common from what I've seen, which is where the third member bolts to the housing with a gasket between. Either way, its not a huge deal. Wash the area good and determine if the leak is bad enough to warrant fixing by checking after a few days of driving. Once you drive it heats up the fluid enough that it can seep out. The procedure to fix it should be the same for all Toyota 8" rear ends. Check out some youtube videos if you want to attempt it yourself, otherwise your mechanic will know how its done.

Capture.JPG

21 - 36 of 36 Posts