Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a question to those that have installed this bumper or something of similar weight/caliber i.e. ARM Road Armor Titan.

I pulled on the grill guard today and realized that my bumper is loose. Not really loose but enough that with a good yank or push of the grill guard I get some movement in the actual bumper. The move me is probably about 1/8" to 1/4" way too much for my liking.

Has anybody else experienced this?
If so what did you have to do to correct it; on the initial installation the bumper was on their solid.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I believe you're supposed to go back through and re-torque everything a few weeks after you install it. Just like you'd do if you installed new wheels.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I have an ARB and the only movement I see is when i'm driving, which cruiserlarry said is normal considering its weight. I pulled and jumped on my bumper many times and doesn't move at all.
Correct, what the vibrations you are seeing is from the frame. I think you have a 2wd, but if you have a 4x4 and you see that the transfer case lever wobbles a bit, this is due to the same reason, frame vibrations (the transmission shift lever does not because it is bolted to the body)

The reason you see these movements separate from the hood/body, is because there are rubber bushings that absorb a lot of the movement where the body connects to the frame.

My ARB does not move 1mm if i yank on it. I have stood on it and jumped in it to see how sturdy it was. No movement at all. Make sure all your connection bolts and nuts are torqued down. It shouldn't move.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I have the FabFours with the grill guard too. Initially I had the same issues you mention. I had the dealer do the initial install.... big mistake. That was the problem... not the bumper itself. Did you do the install? The tech at the dealer completely mismatched hardware. Put the hardware on completely wrong. They totally omitted or failed to tighten (at all!) about 10 bolts... including the bolts that mount it to the frame. They also failed to replace the six nuts that were part of the OEM bumper mount. There are three studs on each side of those front plates arranged vertically. I reinstalled the bumper using new hardware of the correct size and still had about 2-3mm of play when I pushed or pulled on the bars. After realizing those six bolts were missing, I replaced them and now she is rock solid. I notice no movement when driving, pushing on it, or standing on it....which I do often when working on the engine.

I know Athenacelest had some issues with her bumper moving a bit under heavy winching situations, but I haven't had those issues. I think she was gonna drill out some more holes to add additional bolts to the mounts. I don't know how it turned out, so maybe she'll chime in. You can also try to give the guys at FF a call and see what they say. They have been extremely helpful to me when I was having problems. They really seem to like getting feedback on their products so they can address and fix any problems. They won't leave you hanging.

I can't post pics of those six bolts I spoke of because i'm currently out of town. When I get home, i'll get some pics up so you know what I'm talking about. Good luck! By the way... I love my bumper. It is super strong. I hit a concrete highway divider and sustained ZERO structural damage to the bumper or frame. Just needed a new powdercoat and it was good as new!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
We had extra holes and bolts installed and still no luck... it still does not sit properly..it's crooked, and it still moves a little. I wish we could get her rock solid like Toledo FJ. Maybe it's just a problem of us finding the time to find out what is really going on with it!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Athena, did you guys check to see that those six bolts are installed. I think a lot of shops that do the install think they aren't needed because they are part of the OEM mount. They are three vertically arranged, small shouldered nuts on each side. Sorry I can't post a pic right now, but I'll be back in town tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Athena, I forgot to ask if you called FabFours and spoke to them about the problems you're having. If so, what did they say?

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
MIGZ said:
....If so what did you have to do to correct it; on the initial installation the bumper was on their solid.
I blame Fingas74.

oh and the wrong use of "their" - should be "there".

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
MIGZ, your bumper is SICK, I hope it all works out for you. Plus it was on my wish list.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got done screwing with it and its still loose. I smashed the crap out of my thumb which is only adding to me being pissed.

The problem is that there is not enough room to get good leverage on the inside nuts and bolts.

I would really appreciate if all that have the fab fours with a grill guard could comment on this or provide some insight as to what you may have done differently.

As for the factory bolts yes they are all there.

One solution I am thinking about is marking the bumper where it is now. Removing it and using an impact to tighten the inside bolts then putting it back on.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would really like to see what the ARB and Road Armor installation procedure looks like.
What part, i could maybe describe it to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
using a air impact gun should solve all movement problems you can get lots of torque that way should solve movement issue I installed my Fab Fours this way so far so good hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
if there is a winch you will have to remove it to get to the nuts put a wrench on bolt side and impact nut side be sure to use the supplied split washer

·
Registered
505 Posts
MIGZ, you're welcome to come by my house tomorrow, if you have time.

A buddy is bringing over air tools so we can install my front ToyTec ADJSTS. front coilovers and Toytec Customs rear. Along with a diff drop, extended brake lines, All-pro rear shock skids and All-Pro LCA skids.

Give me a call if you want us to help.

(7)269-7883

-Adam

·
Registered
505 Posts
Did you ever get this sorted out, MIGZ? Your still welcome to come by anytime if you need a hand. Or I can come to your side of town.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts