Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed a slight movement of the rear end when at high speeds 70-80mph anytime I accelerate more as if I was going to pass someone. The rear end moves to the right. It can be felt and now after messing with the sensation I can see the movement in the rear view while looking out the back window. I've kicked a few things under there but didn't notice anything. Any ideas? I may have the dealership drive it with me next time I go in for maintenance. However I hate this local dealership. It may be a while.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
About the only things it could be are worn bushings, loose bolts, or elongated mounting holes. Good luck with the fix. :cheers:

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Ok you may or may not believe this but take it for what's it's worth...
Ive had this happen to myself and could not figure out WTF the problem was!
After just dealing with the issue for about a year it came time to replace my tires and guess what... Problem was fixed. I guess the tire was falling apart from the inside and the sideway/shoulder area of the tire was failing. It was during on-power acceleration.

Idk how old your tires are but it may be worth looking into. Also do you cross rotate tires or do you move them from back to front?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My guess is one or both of your lower control ARM's are either loose and or the hole in the bracket has become elongated. When they are a little loose it feels just like you said, when they are real loose it feels like you have no control and the truck will start to wander badly. Buy some nylock nuts, use a bit of red Locktite and crank those down tight. Should do the trick.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hearing about the tire issue is a new one to me, but not to be forgotten. I think I'll look into it a little this weekend, that is if I don't end up working. Thanks for the help, hopefully it will be an easy fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts