Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!! Finally found the source of a little metallic rattle!!! Turns out one of the small supports in the OEM roof rack is a bit loose. The torx bolt is tight.. Have read a little about some people putting in a washer of sorts, but seems to be related to the actual supports that tie into the roof. Would really like to avoid removing the rack and disrupting the gaskets, headliner, etc. Let me know if anyone has any ideas or solutions! Thanks!!! Video of part in question below! Thanks FJ people!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Can the torx bolt that holds the support in place be loosened and re-tightened with downward pressure on the top rail to see if it secures it better.
Edit - I don't have a roof rack so I don't know if the bolt can be removed/ loosened without removing the entire rack

Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of feels like the bolt is bottoming out before the whole thing gets tight. I may have enough room to get them off without taking the whole rack apart!! Might attempt this early next week!! Work and school commitments have my schedule packed!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't imagine taking the whole thing apart. Maybe some epoxy?

<>< <>< <>< QUOTE]I did just want to duct tape it and call it good!!! I'll try taking it more apart in the coming week!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
146 Posts
If you go the epoxy route make sure to tape everything off. Plan B but it may damage something... is to take some wood, place it around the areas take a come along and compress the area. Just a thought...

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you go the epoxy route make sure to tape everything off. Plan B but it may damage something... is to take some wood, place it around the areas take a come along and compress the area. Just a thought...

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
If I can't get it together tight, may go this route! Im thinking some washer inside that little part that is loose, should allow the bolt to secure that peice without the bolt bottoming out first. We shall see what I can remove without removing the entire rack!!! Would hate to introduce a leak!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts