Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems when we drive our FJ on the road; especially on the highway, alot of wind noises are coming in. Are there any ways for me to reduced these loud wind noises? I know it's a truck but geesh...

Any suggestion(s) is appreciated.

Please don't say close your windows

·
Registered
135 Posts
ya felt the same ,and the wind will push you all over the road ..lol..and we get wind here in texas ...well its a big box ..mabye a air dam ?i dont have one but bet it would help ..

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thorough test drives were very revealing to us. We noticed wind, road and rear cargo area noise on the test drives of the 2007s we drove with or without OEM roof racks. Our first FJ Crusier(2007) had them. We have the same noises from our 2011. There are threads about do it yourself sound proofing that imply they help. Example: see post #2 on http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/122575-2011-audio-mod.html

As stated, the FJ has the aerodynamics of a brick or box.

The winds do push you all over the road and driving into a head wind, especially on a grade, my spouse can see the gas gauge move.

Welcome to the forum and the FJ Cruiser. Feel lucky you didn't buy a Wrangler Unlimited which is almost exactly the same width,length and height of our box...and is even noisier going 80 on the Interstate.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
No surprises, i don't know if you noticed when you bought it, the FJ has the aerodynamics of a brick....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone and Thank you for the great welcome. Really appreciate all your responses.

It was definitely a surprise to me of the loud noises. This is my first Toyota and I'm not enjoying this as much as I was hoping for. Now I understand why the dealership would not allowed me to test drive on the highway. Don't get me wrong, I do like the vehicle, but I wish Toyota would have paid better attention to details such as this:mecry:

As for the SUV, the vehicle has pretty much loaded including the roof rack and among others. The only thing I didn't have the dealer installed was the air dam on top.

I was thinking that may be window visor might help alleviate some of the noises? Actually, anything to deadened some of the sound would be great :)

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I was thinking that may be window visor might help alleviate some of the noises? Actually, anything to deadened some of the sound would be great :)
The visors help a ton when you open the windows, but they don't do anything for noise when the windows are up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep it is a loud truck even with the windows up. Thank you Pioneer Avic D3 for making my drive a bit more bearable. :)
Les

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If you wanted quiet why didn't you buy a Lexus? You bought a purpose built off road truck, for most people buying this truck wind noise was not a factor.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thep, you learned a valuable lesson. We learned the hard way as well. Remember, you are the customer. You are spending a huge amount of money on a product. You are entitled to a thorough test drive under the conditions you plan on operating the vehicle. You dictate the test drive route.

If a salesperson refuses to allow you to take a particular route it is probably what his manager has told him to do. So, talk to the General Manager of the dealership, not just the sales manager. If that doesn't work leave. We have done this several times before.

Also, we research a lot on the net as well as talk to owners we meet. Research brought up comments on the noise so we expected to hear it on our test drive.

I just had A/T tyres installed and now have that noise as well. A real rolling symphony.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hellbound13 ~ I already have a Merc. so a Lexus is not needed but thanks for the useless advice.

WyoCruiser ~ I did learned a valuable lesson. I bought this vehicle based on Toyota's excellent reputation, it's bold exterior design, and the fact that I always wanted one ever since I first saw it didn't help. After a short test drive It wasn't difficult for me to decided that it's for me. Over all, I'm happy with the vehicle except for this highway noise issue. With some digging I'm sure I can reduced the noise level.

Thank you all for posting some terrific response.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yah i hear yah, When I got a roof rack on my 4runner I was shocked the first time I heard the wind hitting the crossbars on the rack.

My other car is a bmw so I understand even more how drastically different it is.

This might sound a bit wacky, but if you get more aggressive tread tires, you will just hear the hum of those on the road. Then you will get used to that and most likely just embrace the loudness of it all.

Or get a Toyota OEM Air Dam or find a wind deflector.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've noticed a lot of the noise at all speeds comes from the exhaust. Sure once you get to higher speeds, there is wind and tire noise (if you have mud tires). I plan on gutting the interior once it warms up and installing sound deadener all over...figure it'll be about $200.

Guys who have installed Line-X on the roof have said that helps out tremendously.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While this mod won't help with the wind noise off the roof rack, it did help with the dull rumble coming from the back with the seats folded down. Its noticeably quieter now. Took about an hour and less than $20 to complete.:thinkerg:

I didn't want to spend the big bucks on dynamat so I went to my local lowes yesterday and found a 6"x25' roll of "Peel and Seal" for $13. Its super easy to lay down and I used a small linoleum roller to get good adhesion in all the nooks.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just had A/T tyres installed and now have that noise as well. A real rolling symphony.
That brings up an interesting thought I'm sure is covered in a thread out there somewhere.... I guess there are some tires that are quieter and get you more MPG than others? I'll need new ones in about 10,000 miles so I'll be researching this for myself.

- Hakrjak

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've noticed a lot of the noise at all speeds comes from the exhaust. Sure once you get to higher speeds, there is wind and tire noise (if you have mud tires). I plan on gutting the interior once it warms up and installing sound deadener all over...figure it'll be about $200.

Guys who have installed Line-X on the roof have said that helps out tremendously.
That sounds like a useful idea! Does the headliner come out of these pretty easily?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts