Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a frustrating problem.... i just bought my 2011 fj tt and when i,m driving on the freeway at speeds ranging from 60mph to 80 mph a loud humming noise starts and gets louder as i go faster. it sounds like theres a hole in my firewall or something. the sound seems to come from the air vents next to the windshield wipers. it's weird cuz it starts at different speeds and sometimes starts past 80mph and if it's windy it will start at lower speeds.if there is anyone out there that had a similar problem can you please help!!

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
This may sound odd, and it might not be the cause, but make sure your antenna is tightened. I've known of a few folks where it made a humming noise because it was loose. It is an easy place to start anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
G'day FranJess,
Welcome from Down Under.
Its hard to diagnose sounds at the best of times.... especially in our box.
Have you done any mods or are there any mods on the vehicle. Tires, lift, lights, etc ... do you have the oem roof rack. This can drum loudly if the slats are in the wrong position.
As above it could be your aerial, but not easy to pin point without more knowledge of your rig.
The FJ is not the quietest beast at the best of times.
All comes down to trial n error...
Good luck
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2011 nsse does the same thing. Really bad when driving into a head wind. I don't have a roof rack so I know that's not it. When it gets really loud I can put my hand on the windshield and feel the vibration from the hum. Mine sounds like this .

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know on chevy trucks a bug shield will case the same noise.. It took silicone in the door jambs (under rubber seal by windshield/door crossmember) to stop the wind vibration..

·
Registered
491 Posts
My 2011 nsse does the same thing. Really bad when driving into a head wind. I don't have a roof rack so I know that's not it. When it gets really loud I can put my hand on the windshield and feel the vibration from the hum. Mine sounds like this . Blow that Vuvuzela - YouTube
Do you put your hand at the top of the windshield? if not, try it and see if it goes away. If it does, You will need your windshield re-sealed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tried pressing on the glass, still makes the noise. I did notice the vibration can also be felt and heard in the headliner also. It's hard to pin point exactly where the noise/vibration originates.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Check the trim piece above the windshield. I recall where folks had a similar issue and it was due to this being loose.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I also experience this from time to time. To me it sounds more like the hood, or something in front resonating. I can't offer much help, but I am now subscribed in case a solution is discovered.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm getting a hum now with my Fierce Attitude MT's on the freeway.

I like it:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
OP, I am pretty sure I figured out what it is. The way you describe it is exactly they way mine was. I heard it with my stock bumper, but it worsened once I removed the bumper and cut the fender plastic. Last week I used some cinch straps an secured the loose fender plastic to body. I have logged about 4 hours of 75mph interstate traveling and no hum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, it might just be your windshield wipers?The wind hits them and they make loud humming sound when I hit 80 or lower if it's windy. I figured the problem out. Wet your wipers well and let them run. See if the sound goes away. Good luck, duck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've been having this same issue on occasion at highway speeds. Today was the loudest I've ever heard it. It was loud enough to the point where I was actually kinda concerned. You can also feel a vibration in the windshield and rear view mirror. Here is a video of the noise the night I brought it home from the dealer. It's much quieter than what I just experienced today. I'm just curious to see if anyone has a solid answer to what this noise is.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've been having this same issue on occasion at highway speeds. Today was the loudest I've ever heard it. It was loud enough to the point where I was actually kinda concerned. You can also feel a vibration in the windshield and rear view mirror. Here is a video of the noise the night I brought it home from the dealer. It's much quieter than what I just experienced today. I'm just curious to see if anyone has a solid answer to what this noise is.

FJ Cruiser Wind Noise - YouTube
I just had this problem fixed. It is most likely the panel above your windshield. That strip between top of windshield and roof. I had to have a new panel ordered and they replaced it and so far have not heard that same exact sound since. For some reason, the first panel didn't seat right or something to that effect. If you want to make sure, put blue painters tape all across where the windshield meets that panel and make sure all seams are sealed up. If you don't hear the hum, then that is definitely your problem. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just had this problem fixed. It is most likely the panel above your windshield. That strip between top of windshield and roof. I had to have a new panel ordered and they replaced it and so far have not heard that same exact sound since. For some reason, the first panel didn't seat right or something to that effect. If you want to make sure, put blue painters tape all across where the windshield meets that panel and make sure all seams are sealed up. If you don't hear the hum, then that is definitely your problem. Good luck! :)
I'll give it a shot. The only problem is that it doesn't make this sound very often. What's crazy is that the sound and vibration was so violent today, that I actually felt it in the pedals. I'm wondering if that small panel is even capable of vibrating that much.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I'll give it a shot. The only problem is that it doesn't make this sound very often. What's crazy is that the sound and vibration was so violent today, that I actually felt it in the pedals. I'm wondering if that small panel is even capable of vibrating that much.
Yep, that vibration got pretty loud and violent. It didn't do it every day for me neither but it did do it a lot. Windy days was really bad. It's been about 3 months since I had the panel replaced and it hasn't done it yet. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts