Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Alright cool. I'll see if I can remove it and lay some weather stripping under there by the edges. Assuming the clips are as fragile as everyone says, where would I get new ones?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Alright cool. I'll see if I can remove it and lay some weather stripping under there by the edges. Assuming the clips are as fragile as everyone says, where would I get new ones?
Not sure where to get new ones other than the dealer. I still had a warranty so I had them fix it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can almost guarantee that your top windshield seal cover/trim whatever you want to call it is coming apart from your windshield as you go faster.

I was going down I-15 in Utah heading south going 85 mph. I heard the wind noises, and humming coming from the top of the windshield. Minutes later i heard a loud pop and something hit my roof rack.

I look in my rear view mirror and see my trim piece flying across the freeway. This is a $280 part to purchase without even painting it.

Let's just say it took 45 minutes to find the stupid piece, and luckily the Highway Patrol never rolled by wondering why in the world an FJ was going 2 miles an hour thru the freeway median.

***Caution to all: I've noticed on many FJ's new, or old the trim piece is slowly coming loose. I've pointed it out to many FJ owners if i catch them by there car, and point out the issue to them.***

I better see you all in Moab in April for the Jeep Safari! :rocker::cheers:

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I just had this problem fixed. It is most likely the panel above your windshield. That strip between top of windshield and roof. I had to have a new panel ordered and they replaced it and so far have not heard that same exact sound since. For some reason, the first panel didn't seat right or something to that effect. If you want to make sure, put blue painters tape all across where the windshield meets that panel and make sure all seams are sealed up. If you don't hear the hum, then that is definitely your problem. Good luck! :)
I've been trying to track down this issue for over two years! It's gotten worse lately and I haven't been able to track it down :)jester: I even foam taped all the loose wires behind my Kenwood head unit in an effort to solve this infernal noise). So, I was so excited to read this that I rushed home, applied blue painters tape as suggested, and hit the freeway. The noise has vanished, so I think the problem is firmly diagnosed :clap:.
Now, how to fix it? I guess I could get the dealer to replace the panel, but I suspect they caused the problem to start with when they replaced my cracked windshield. Does anyone have a DIY solution?
Anyway, thanks for posting :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
It appears that some clips were broken on the upper windshield panel when my windshield was replaced several years ago! Rather than replace the molding at that time the installer, who is used by the dealership, simply put it back on and anchored it with the remaining clips and adhesive. I guess I'm lucky it didn't blow right off like happened to Lyric G. Anyway, rather than have the dealer gouge me for a replacement I have ordered a replacement on-line - although I still feel gouged as it cost $280, although that's better than the almost $380 the dealership wanted. Should be a simple matter to clip it/stick it into place.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I've been trying to track down this issue for over two years! It's gotten worse lately and I haven't been able to track it down :)jester: I even foam taped all the loose wires behind my Kenwood head unit in an effort to solve this infernal noise). So, I was so excited to read this that I rushed home, applied blue painters tape as suggested, and hit the freeway. The noise has vanished, so I think the problem is firmly diagnosed :clap:.
Now, how to fix it? I guess I could get the dealer to replace the panel, but I suspect they caused the problem to start with when they replaced my cracked windshield. Does anyone have a DIY solution?
Anyway, thanks for posting :bigthumb:
Glad to hear you are now able to get rid of that annoying sound. :clap: It bothered me for a few months and after a long trip from Dallas to Albuquerque, I couldn't stand it anymore and was determined to find out what the heck is going on. My wife actually suggested the painters tape off a hunch so kudos to her! :rocker:

I was lucky that mine was still under warranty, at least now Iknow what to do in case it happens again after windshield replacement! :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe its just me, but I find dealerships to be incompetent most of the time. So I'm afraid that if I take it there to get fixed under warranty, it'll come out worse than how I brought it in. I'm wondering if they can just give me the part, this way I can do it myself and fill any possible airspace under this piece of trim with weather stripping and glue.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Maybe its just me, but I find dealerships to be incompetent most of the time. So I'm afraid that if I take it there to get fixed under warranty, it'll come out worse than how I brought it in. I'm wondering if they can just give me the part, this way I can do it myself and fill any possible airspace under this piece of trim with weather stripping and glue.
I have ordered Part # 7550335012 (MOULDING SUB-ASSY, WINDSHIELD, OUTSIDE UPPER.), which I got from this post --> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/132945-windshield-molding.html

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ouch, that little piece is expensive. I could never justify paying that out of pocket. I guess I better get this fixed this year before the warranty is up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you.. I simply put a piece of gorilla tape over the rubber seal on the top trim.. the noise was so loud it gave me headaches.. problem solved.. I just don't think my 2013 fj should have that issue already.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So I experienced this noise on my 2013 for only the second time today. It was at freeway speeds, 60 to 80 mph, and both times it was super windy out. It makes sense that it would be that piece above the windshield but without this fantastic forum this would have driven me (and ultimately my wife) nuts until I could figure out what the problem was.

If anyone has eliminated this noise by simply replacing that molding above the windshield please let me know. My truck is 1,000 miles from being out of warranty and I want to get this in to Toyota ASAP so they can fix the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help! Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive had this issue for a few months when a particularly high gust of wind hits the car but yesterday, dear god. It was windy out and I was driving west at 80mph and I seriously thought the windshield was going to blow out. The loud howling and vibration did wonders for my hangover (NOT) but after reading this im going to take a look at that trim piece and see what the deal is. Maybe I can sell that sound effect to Hollywood for a horror film to pay for a new flippin trim piece.

Toyota- I know its difficult to design an aerodynamic brick but COME ON. Recall and fix this garbage! You cant have Toyota shrapnel (trim piece) fly through the air at 80mph. What will fly off if I peg the speedo??

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Ive had this issue for a few months when a particularly high gust of wind hits the car but yesterday, dear god. It was windy out and I was driving west at 80mph and I seriously thought the windshield was going to blow out. The loud howling and vibration did wonders for my hangover (NOT) but after reading this im going to take a look at that trim piece and see what the deal is. Maybe I can sell that sound effect to Hollywood for a horror film to pay for a new flippin trim piece.

Toyota- I know its difficult to design an aerodynamic brick but COME ON. Recall and fix this garbage! You cant have Toyota shrapnel (trim piece) fly through the air at 80mph. What will fly off if I peg the speedo??
Remember to seal all the seams of that panel. It most likely is that piece. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm experiencing same problem and I'll be driving 7 hours each way on a snowboard trip and don't want to hear this or worry that it will pop off. Will the dealer just taking the piece off and reattaching and sealing it solve the problem or does a new piece need to be bought and painted? Thanks, it seems like a design flaw, started looking at other cars and trucks and none had this extra piece of trim.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I'm experiencing same problem and I'll be driving 7 hours each way on a snowboard trip and don't want to hear this or worry that it will pop off. Will the dealer just taking the piece off and reattaching and sealing it solve the problem or does a new piece need to be bought and painted? Thanks, it seems like a design flaw, started looking at other cars and trucks and none had this extra piece of trim.
It depends if the clips are broken or not. If not then resealing will do the trick. At the dealership I use they got the guys they used to replace my windshield back and had them fix it for free. For your 7 hour drive I would just seal it up with painters tape, which works well, if you can't get the dealer to fix it before you leave.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2013 Cement Trails Team and I am having the same problem! I found that the noise is coming from the panel above the windshield. As a test I taped the panel joints with painters tape and the sound wen away at the higher speeds. My windshield guy verified this and said he has had to reseal this panel for several FJ with the similar problem. He also said that these panels are not properly installed and sealed at the factory. Not sure if this is a warrantee problem ,but I will be finding out soon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Problem isolated! Thanks to our awesome FJ community! I had my windshield replaced last month and experienced the same issue. Last week I had them replace all plastic clips along the bottom side and still have the vibration. As previously mentioned, I put clear shipping tape(all I have) along the top trim and windshield. I just did a test run up to 100 mph with no humming noise. Thanks for the great info. Good thing the windshield shop will fix it if the problem continues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Does anyone have the name of the dealership that actually fixed their windshield trim? My dealership doesn't seem to have any official information from Toyota on this and asked me to do some research.

If I can get the name of a dealership that fixed it, my dealership will call them and find out how it is done.

EC

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Solved: I had this issue with the factory installed windshield on my 2013 Trail Teams FJ. Awful howling noise at 70-80mph (or higher), which could vary depending on wind conditions. Thankfully there is a revised part which eliminates the loud vibration noise caused by the original windshield molding design. I originally thought it was my roof rack, then perhaps my winch bumper, but ultimately tracked it down the upper windshield molding. It is a known problem that Toyota has now addressed with a revised part, which comes with foam trim added to the front weather stripping which dampens the vibration and eliminates the noise. This has solved the problem for my 2013 FJ Cruiser, tested up to 85mph, and I could not be happier to have it finally gone. For the Cement Gray (Trail Teams Edition) the original part # was 75503-35060-B0, and is now updated to 75503-35061-B0 for the revised design which eliminates the wind/vibration noise. I suspect for other colors the change would also be from .xxx60-xx to xxx61-xx. I replaced it myself at home, and did not need to use any additional adhesive to install the part. It took all of 20 seconds to install after removing the original.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used Season Seal, which is a removable/pealable silicon caulk you can get at home improvement stores. Few squirts under the top windshield trim where it was loose, and small strip of caulk into top crack of molding did the trick.

That vibration is annoying and loud! So this fix will correct if you don't want to buy the new part or take anything apart

If you have this issue, you will know it, it is not simply wind noise, it is a very loud vibration that is hard to pinpoint but once you know it is the trim piece above the windshield it makes sense.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts