Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Solved: I had this issue with the factory installed windshield on my 2013 Trail Teams FJ. Awful howling noise at 70-80mph (or higher), which could vary depending on wind conditions. Thankfully there is a revised part which eliminates the loud vibration noise caused by the original windshield molding design. I originally thought it was my roof rack, then perhaps my winch bumper, but ultimately tracked it down the upper windshield molding. It is a known problem that Toyota has now addressed with a revised part, which comes with foam trim added to the front weather stripping which dampens the vibration and eliminates the noise. This has solved the problem for my 2013 FJ Cruiser, tested up to 85mph, and I could not be happier to have it finally gone. For the Cement Gray (Trail Teams Edition) the original part # was 75503-35060-B0, and is now updated to 75503-35061-B0 for the revised design which eliminates the wind/vibration noise. I suspect for other colors the change would also be from .xxx60-xx to xxx61-xx. I replaced it myself at home, and did not need to use any additional adhesive to install the part. It took all of 20 seconds to install after removing the original.
I have a 2013 TT and started hearing this as soon as I bought it in 2016. I am not going on the highway too much so I lived with it. I am very glad that I checked on here (first time today) and the answer was right here. I have not fixed it yet but am glad I know what it is, I thought it might be wind hitting the BFG treads or something. I would like to know if anyone successfully had this fixed/addressed via the warranty?

Thanks for your time and all the useful information. I look forward to checking the forum regularly.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I finally brought this up to my dealer, and even sent him a video of me recording the noise while driving down the interstate. He said they've never heard of the problem... I told him it was more than likely the upper windshield molding/panel and to check it out at my next oil change. I'll let you know what I find out.

If anyone has had their dealership fix this exact problem, I would sure like to know any and all information about your dealership you can provide.

I can't believe Toyota has "never heard of this problem" before... :slant:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I lost mine the first time when driving in a hurricane, and second time when I went into really dense woods with Hell*****. First time the dealer just replaced it for $350. Drove a year or two without it on after tracking it down in the woods, and then tried to fix it myself.

I bought the same sealant they use on the windshield glass, and new panel, because they didn't sell the clips back then. I basically stuck this ill-designed panel to the roof with the sealant and clips. This fix is still working 8 years later.

Apparently Toyo came out with a fix, but this is what worked for me. If you get too liberal with the window sealant, you can use razor blade to get blobs off, and then you can use your bare skin and fingertips to "roll it off" the paint.

I have since made many woods runs with plenty of branches and vines snagging my girl, but the trim piece is still on and shows no signs of letting loose or making noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my 2013 TT a year ago this month. My first trip on the freeway resulted in the crazy howling you all know and love. I have no idea how the original owner was able to take it, maybe he kept it under 35 for the 60K miles he put on it. Anyways, being the cheapskate that I am, I went to Home Depot and bought a 20' pack of 3/8" diameter foam "Backer Rod" (in the weatherstripping aisle) and jammed that into the panel void. Worked like a champ, noise gone. I take a look at it now and then to see if UV has affected it but so far so good.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts