Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

2011 FJ 4WD with the automatic.

My wife was driving the truck this morning and heard a sudden loud slapping from under the cowl/windshield wiper area. She pulled off of the road immediately and called me.

After driving the truck, I can relay the following:

1. It sounds like a belt is wrapped around the driveshaft and smacking into the underside of the truck. It's LOUD!
2. The noise only happens above 30 mph and will occur whether I'm in Drive or coasting
3. Front serpentine is fine. This noise is happening under the cowl
4. Nothing is obvious or visible from the top of the engine (haven't had a chance to check underneath yet)
5. All engine functions are normal and steering is unaffected
6. Turning the fans on and off or the wipers on and off has no effect

I limped the truck home and will have a closer look this evening. I did manage to record a video of the sound which you can see here:

https://youtu.be/KfF8wsoM-_8

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy

·
A-Team Moderator
9,035 Posts
Wheel well engine splash guards?

Take the cowl vents off and look inside and from the hood hinge area into the cowl.

Someone put ziptie's around your driveshaft as a practical joke? :thinkerg: :grin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any road trash wrapped up on the drive shaft or axles?
Hi Mikey,

Nothing that I can see. I can also rule out a potential issue with the transfer case or half shafts. I got under the truck this evening and wiggled a bunch of parts and heat shields around and counldn't find anything.

The noise is definitely concentrated around the cowl area. It sounds like it's happening directly under the cowl vents.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheel well engine splash guards?

Take the cowl vents off and look inside and from the hood hinge area into the cowl.

Someone put ziptie's around your driveshaft as a practical joke? :thinkerg: :grin
Hi Hannibal,

No zip ties that I can see :wink The wheel well splash guards also look OK.

What's strange is that below 30 mph you don't hear the noise at all. At 35 it's really loud and increases with speed.

I'll pop the cowl vents and get a flashlight in there when I have a chance.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
A-Team Moderator
9,035 Posts
Check the cabin filter tray too. Pull the glove box door off, it's easy. Operate the HVAC controls with it running and see if it's the vent door flap. Cable came off, bad seal, mice?

How's the pressure blow out vent in the jack compartment, is it clear?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Check all the trim seals and valances around your windshield, drivers side, passenger, top and bottom. Give them all a tug to ensure they are not peeling out at speed and slapping your windshield. I had a drivers side come out at 65 and by the time I had stopped, it looked like it was attached fine, a tug on it proved otherwise. This happended after a windshield replacement. Your FJ hasn't had it's windshield replaced recently has it?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I can tell you from experience, that where you think the sound is coming from is likely coming from somewhere else (and the sound being transferred through the body or elsewhere).

If it were me I'd start at the front bumper, ensure that all of the plastic pieces are secure and not loose, then work my way back. I personally had that plastic panel between the fender and the cowl work its way loose from a plastic pin that had broken and was popping from the wind at speed. Drove me nuts. Found it by checking every exterior panel on the way backward from the front of the vehicle.

If nothing on the upper side is awry, then repeat the process on the underside. If you have one of those 'bling' front skids, I'd suspect that, first (it's only held on with two flimsy brackets, and directly in the wind flow).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the cabin filter tray too. Pull the glove box door off, it's easy. Operate the HVAC controls with it running and see if it's the vent door flap. Cable came off, bad seal, mice?

How's the pressure blow out vent in the jack compartment, is it clear?
All good on this Hannibal. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check all the trim seals and valances around your windshield, drivers side, passenger, top and bottom. Give them all a tug to ensure they are not peeling out at speed and slapping your windshield. I had a drivers side come out at 65 and by the time I had stopped, it looked like it was attached fine, a tug on it proved otherwise. This happended after a windshield replacement. Your FJ hasn't had it's windshield replaced recently has it?
Hi Ammo. Windshield is original. Tugging on the seals didn't reveal anything. I did take the truck out again and it sounds like something slapping into the bottom of the windshield/cowl really hard.

The fact that it only happens at a certain speed lends a lot of credence to your theory. I wish that was the problem.

Thank you for your ideas.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can tell you from experience, that where you think the sound is coming from is likely coming from somewhere else (and the sound being transferred through the body or elsewhere).

If it were me I'd start at the front bumper, ensure that all of the plastic pieces are secure and not loose, then work my way back. I personally had that plastic panel between the fender and the cowl work its way loose from a plastic pin that had broken and was popping from the wind at speed. Drove me nuts. Found it by checking every exterior panel on the way backward from the front of the vehicle.

If nothing on the upper side is awry, then repeat the process on the underside. If you have one of those 'bling' front skids, I'd suspect that, first (it's only held on with two flimsy brackets, and directly in the wind flow).
Hi Joe,

I agree about sound transmitting. What's strange about this is that I can put my hand on the bottom of the windshield on the dash and feel the thumping from the inside. Above 45 it sounds like the windshield is going to break.

I've taken apart a few interior panels and am stumped about what would cause that type of noise in the cowl/windshield area.

Due to my limited mechanical knowledge I've exhausted my options and will likely have a qualified mechanic find out and resolve the issue. From everything I can tell and everything I've diagnosed, this is coming from INSIDE something (or at least that's the way it sounds and feels). Imagine a large rubber strap smacking the bottom of the windshield and that's what I'm getting.

Thanks for jumping in and offering your suggestions.

I'll update the thread with the culprit as soon as I know more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Ammo,

I'm coming back to your post because I think I found the issue. I have a tendency to think that most sounds are originating below and didn't really look UP.

Attached are a couple of screenshots of what the windshield trim on the passenger side looks like. I thinks we might have a problem Houston. A couple of pictures are attached.

Looks like a trip to a windshield repair shop is in order. I hope that this is something they can fix easily (I would hope so).

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Glad we could help you out.:cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem several months back. Like JoeUser said; "where you think the sound is coming from is likely coming from somewhere else". My "flaping" came from two clips being broke on the upper windshield body panel. At highway speeds it sounded like hell. Went away when the darn thing just broke the rest of the way and just flew off. The replacement part is $230. Ouch! Had to go this way anyway because the clips that hold this part on are embossed into the body panel itself. Thus, no fix. Just replace. Hope it's not the same for you, but.......

Alien2U

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does the same roaring noise on certain roads above 40 and does not stop until I'm above 70 . I understood from another thread here that there was a recall on that strip but I've not taken mine in to be fixed yet . When i read it was the above windshield strip i just turned on my windshield washers and let that track get water in it and it changes the aerodynamics and stops. I understand the replacement peice has a foam strip to give it better adhession and seals off the air flow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread with their ideas and suggestions. I appreciated the help!

Just to put this one to bed:

- Glass Doctor and Safelite didn't want to touch the truck just to repair the top molding since they hadn't installed the windshield
- Toyota wanted me to make an appointment to look at the truck before even deciding if they were interested
- Body shops were the same

I fixed it yesterday with some quick drying epoxy. The clips on the passenger side have enough of that stuff slathered on there that nothing should be coming off. There's a slight bow in the middle since the clip there isn't in the greatest shape. Driver's side are also OK.

The windshield has two chips in it so I'll likely replace it within the next 6 months anyway. I'm going to laugh when they try to take off that trim piece and break it. It likely needs to be replaced anyway.

Test drives all went well. There's no whistling, slapping or any other noises. All should be good (for now).

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Cheers!

Andy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts