Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install LOVELLS suspension kit (heavy raised height) on my FJ.

Any one used these kits and how is the performance on and off road?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
i think you might be the first

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
never heard of them.
Where do you get them from?

It is australian Brand established in 1930, well known in suspension for Armour vehicles mining and railway industries. Hopefully reason for very less people have their suspension for SUV may be they start light truck recently. The distributor here in DUBAI says the ride is just like KINGS shocks.

I just read on their website regarding these but interested to know from people who used them personally.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It is australian Brand established in 1930, well known in suspension for Armour vehicles mining and railway industries. Hopefully reason for very less people have their suspension for SUV may be they start light truck recently. The distributor here in DUBAI says the ride is just like KINGS shocks.

I just read on their website regarding these but interested to know from people who used them personally.

oh ok. I personally have not heard of them here in the states. Maybe some other will chime in on this.
Do you live in Dubai, or just there for work? I want to visit there someday.
The grand mosque looks beautiful!

D

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

Please give us some feedback on how these work out for you (pics as well). I, too, have never heard of them. Always nice to see what's out there.

oh ok. I personally have not heard of them here in the states. Maybe some other will chime in on this.
Do you live in Dubai, or just there for work? I want to visit there someday.
The grand mosque looks beautiful.
D
On a side note, Dubai ROCKS! Go if you get a chance. I've been there a couple of times and the skyline is just astonishing. And there is some excellent wheeling southeast of the city across the dunes. Nice mountain trails with springs to swim in. Great place.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am Aussie and have heard of Lovells - they do have a good reputation although I have never used them before myself. They are well known in Australia and probably a good thing. Don't know if anyone will have had much experience with them on FJ's though as they haven't been available in Australia before now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have Lovells springs & long travel shocks currently on my 90 series Prado. Not sure what I'll put on my FJ when I finally get it, but have performed very well over the last 2 years I've had them on. I've been to the Cape & Back (the hard way) and Fraser Island many times and I've been told (from others behind me) that the articulation works well. The HD springs are quite stiff tho, but not when loaded up for camping with the trailer in tow. Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
I've been told (from others behind me) that the articulation works well. The HD springs are quite stiff tho, but not when loaded up for camping with the trailer in tow. Hope this helps...
Interesting...unless its a progressive spring, the spring rate doesn't change so the stiffness is what it is (loaded or unloaded). Typically stiff springs aren't really ideal for flex and articulation. Hard to tell what the rates are on the Lovells as they don't actually list them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My friend recently installed lovells suspension kit and the feedback he gave me after fast driving in DUBAI deserts and also on road, he is very happy with the performance.
According to him it is the first time he didnt broke his fenders while driving fast on humps.

The deserts here in this region are very challenging and the people who rode here knows it well.

Anyone wanna enjoy come in winter and I will accompany you in desert as the temperature last Friday in desert was 50 deg. centigrade but still we are going out.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Shafiq Bhai.....good to see you on the forum....wellcome.

I think the reason Lovell is not very well know here is that they dont have dealers in the US and since ICON has soo many dealers there its the most popular.

Lovell is a trusted and recommended suspension upgrade here in the UAE. Plenty of serious offroaders have Lovell on their FJ's.

The only major issue I see with it is that the coil overs are not adjustable like the ICON and thats all. The rear shocks that coem with the kit could als be a bit better, ideally piggybacks would be best.

Here are picture of a friends FJ with the Lovell's kit installed. He is very happy with it.

Shafiq.....please hurry up and get your Lovell's suspension installed and we will go to the big dunes in Sweihan and make your FJ fly !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shafiq Bhai.....good to see you on the forum....wellcome.

I think the reason Lovell is not very well know here is that they dont have dealers in the US and since ICON has soo many dealers there its the most popular.

Lovell is a trusted and recommended suspension upgrade here in the UAE. Plenty of serious offroaders have Lovell on their FJ's.

The only major issue I see with it is that the coil overs are not adjustable like the ICON and thats all. The rear shocks that coem with the kit could als be a bit better, ideally piggybacks would be best.

Here are picture of a friends FJ with the Lovell's kit installed. He is very happy with it.

Shafiq.....please hurry up and get your Lovell's suspension installed and we will go to the big dunes in Sweihan and make your FJ fly !!!!
Thanks Marshal;

Lovells already purchased in Australia and will get it soon, but this Friday I am with you on sand with my factory suspension as usual and till now it is surviving. Even it survived my last stupid 4 meter jump where I narrowly escaped roll over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed lovells. A little update regarding the prices and installation and driving too.

The kit reference number is TOYKIT 071B.This kit is basically for Prado LWB a few components like the rear springs are the same as in FJ lovells kit reference# TOYKIT066 (A,B,C) VISIT LOVELLS website: Lovells Suspension - For The Ride of Your Life - Home Page

The price is 700 dollars and installation cost me 100 $
with alignment.
The kit includes two extra spacers which are sitting below the front spring seat the sizes are 20mm and 10mm. I measured my car front and rear before installation and it was approximately 50cm from the centre of the wheel. Before installation I checked the front new springs with old one and both were of the same length so I thought it is better to utilize those two horrible spacers even the mechanic warned me not to do it, the reason is the front springs are stiff compare to the original and it will not sit as the factory coils are sitting after engine load.
when I install the spacers with the kit and measured the height it surprised me because the height increased from 50cm to 60 cm from the same location where i measured before. It means my car is lifted in front 4" which is looking stupid.

But I drove it yesterday in desert in an advance drive and I did alot of crazy stuff I never tried before.
On and off road I am very happy and also my other friend who is having good knowledge of other suspension drove with me and gave me 2 thumbs up for the ride response and comport.
30mm spacers were removed from the front struts, and the lift decreased from 4" t0 2.5" on passenger side and 2.3" on driver side.
The ride comport and smooth response increased alot may be the reason is front springs are not stressed much now.

The other thing noted I just take these measurements after removal of spacers and the difference in height at driver and passenger side is not due to spring sagging but may be due to FJ design from the factory itself as there is no season for spring sags just after installation.

I really love the ride,response and control of my duck commander after installation of my lovells suspension kit.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts