Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike the formerly lead thread in this category, I'm looking for a recommendation for a mild-ish trail for this weekend. Requirements are that it is do-able in a day from Denver, that I can do it solo (with a rookie passenger, e.g. no spotting experience) and as a driver that has done a lot of hunting 4wd trails but not many recreational 4wd trails, and using the FJ equipped as listed below. I'd prefer not to be forced to winch, chain up, or to worry about tip-over or pivoting on my skids. OTOH, I was hoping for more than a gravel road. Thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Run the Hayman fire trail up in Pine, and sorry, I am not sure what it is actually called, I just know where it is and how to get there.

Pretty awesome mild trail.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How abut Switzerland trail, outside Boulder? And, do I really need to air down for these mild trails? I don't yet own a portable compressor. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
How abut Switzerland trail, outside Boulder? And, do I really need to air down for these mild trails? I don't yet own a portable compressor. Thanks.
Switzerland Trail is a fine choice. My daughter goes to school at CU Boulder and she has taken her 4Runner on it many times. Nice views, easy trail. No airing down.

Frankly very few trails require airing down unless you hit deep sand. She has done Mineral Creek, Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Imogene Pass, Ophir Pass, Corkscrew Gulch, California Gulch, Picayne Gulch, on and on...without ever airing down. Even Medano Pass into the Great Sand Dunes where they recommend you air down...not required if the sand is cold damp.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SilvFx, thank you for some very refreshing information. Our schedule has changed, but I look forward to running Switzerland Trail next Saturday - w/o airing down.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Switzerland Trail was a great mild run, we had a good time. Surprisingly very few other folks, just a couple of ATVs and dirt bikes, pair of hikers, and, towards the Gold Hill end, a minivan and then a new Honda Civic!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts