Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it happened again, and not at a good time.

This last summer when I was on the Red Cone trail run with the FJ team, boththe locker and ATRAC would not engage.

After hours at the dealership, fighting with the techs that none of my modifications had caused this problem, the found out it was a sensor cable that tells the computer that your in low lock to allow the computer to engage either the locker or the ATRAC.

This time I am driving on the back roads of Vail going to one of our favorite ice climbing areas and poof will not engage.

I will post the exact name of the replacement part and the number on Weds when I head back to Denver.

I am thinking ARB lockers maybe the way to go, but I do love that ATRAC.

·
Registered
572 Posts
How many miles you have on that thing? Damn, you have all the fun. Lol.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just hit 19k, it happened the first time around 6k, and I will be in your neck of the woods the first week of March for the IEEE Aerospace conference at Big Sky and am driving up doing the loop, Bridger Bowl, Big Sky, Grand Targhee, Jackson and then Alta (no Boarders allowed)

·
Registered
572 Posts
So what was the problem with the cable the first time? Bad connection, broken wire? That would definitley put a guy in a bind, when he needed it to work the most.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what was the problem with the cable the first time? Bad connection, broken wire? That would definitley put a guy in a bind, when he needed it to work the most.
It is just a shorted out cable, I am going back when they intstall it this time, will take lots of photos and post.

This cable is used on the Taco's as well, so not new.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It is just a shorted out cable, I am going back when they intstall it this time, will take lots of photos and post.

This cable is used on the Taco's as well, so not new.
Thanks Jeff. It's nice to know this. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
My guess. You have a bad transfer indicator switch. The switches are located on the side of the transfer case and sense the position of the 4WD shift lever. The switch sends lever position information to various ECU's which control your 4WD system functionality.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guess. You have a bad transfer indicator switch. The switches are located on the side of the transfer case and sense the position of the 4WD shift lever. The switch sends lever position information to various ECU's which control your 4WD system functionality.
That's it.

Thanks, so now why would the second one go bad.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
That's it.

Thanks, so now why would the second one go bad.

Jeff
I have no idea. In all the years (20+) that I have owned Toyota 4x4's I have never had one go bad. Bet that makes you feel better... :) None the less they are a $45 part that can be changed in about 15 minutes. I'm sure warranty covers replacement.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no idea. In all the years (20+) that I have owned Toyota 4x4's I have never had one go bad. Bet that makes you feel better... :) None the less they are a $45 part that can be changed in about 15 minutes. I'm sure warranty covers replacement.
Yes the covered the first one, I am going to buy a spare given my track record two in 6 months.

thanks again.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Yes the covered the first one, I am going to buy a spare given my track record two in 6 months.

thanks again.
If you buy a spare make sure you get the right parts. On the A/T's there are 3 switches and 2 of them have the same part number. One has a different part number, so I assume it's different.

On the M/T I would expect there to be at least 2 switches, if not 3. The parts people at your dealer should be able to look them up and get you the right parts.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
The switch contacts may have corroded when submerged in water/mud?
Unlikely, as the switch is a sealed unit installed near the top of the transfer case. The wiring connections are on the side of the transmission and those could have gotten wet. However, I would not expect them to corrode in 6 mos. I suspect a loose wire connection or faulty switch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just had this happen to me. The rear locker and atrac will not work and the locker light just blinks. Guess I have to go to the dealer. How many other people are having this problem?

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Hi guys! =) Mine went out just yesterday right before I was going to go up Blowsand in AB. No Atrac, No Locker. And no car with squigly line light either. The dealer gave me a rental today and I guess they'll fix it on Monday. I have the AT with 18,300 miles on it, my build date is 0906. Thanks Tcao for pointing me over to this thread. Sticky candidate maybe? Is this another bug with the FJ? Bad part?

1 - 20 of 130 Posts