Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone take 5 minutes out of their day and please craft an 18" wide front opening low profile roof vent. This should fit under the roof rack when opened, be white, and waterproof.

This should be mass produced, affordable, fully gasketed, and come painted and clear coated.

I am willing to give it a few days to get this product to market.

Thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Self installing? Please. I am trying to realistic here.

The self install feature can wait for RoofVent2.0

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm on vacation in South America, Peru to be exact and found many ads from a rally that happens once a year and saw this FJ with what appears to be what you want duplicated, personally I would consider buying one....

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I would consider one as well. I don't really want one as massive looking as the one posted above, but it would be start.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I'm on vacation in South America, Peru to be exact and found many ads from a rally that happens once a year and saw this FJ with what appears to be what you want duplicated, personally I would consider buying one....
That appears to be an aftermarket hood scoop that's been turned around and mounted on the roof, lol. But, functional! My only concern would be water and dirt blasting into the cabin. That, and sawing a hole in the roof...

Too bad they don't make a second snorkle that fits the left side. You could use that for fresh air into the cabin. Now, that would be strange looking, hah... Photoshop, anyone?

·
Registered
521 Posts
And the practical application of this would be?

·
Registered
614 Posts
How about these:

·
Registered
477 Posts
And the practical application of this would be?
air flow through dash and/or floor vents and out of cabin via the pop up vent without opening a window?

Pop up vent would be like a small version of the old style pop up sunroofs with the hinge mounted toward the front so that the air/rain/dust, etc. outside the vehicle would pass over it without being pulled inside. This is what I used my pop up sunroof for on our Dodge

...or does the OP intend something else?

Oops, the OP said front opening. I don't think that is a good idea, but then I liked our old Dodge.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I was just sitting here looking at the front of my FJ and thought...
Yeah one that looks like the faux hood scoop would be kinda cool.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
You may want to take a look at what is available in the Marine market. Vents like what you are talking about are quite common. Know ahead of time anything with the word "marine" involved has a huge mark up in price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OP here - what I was looking for was similar to the old Land Rover roof vents, the double roofed ones (I believe it was called a desert roof?). I can remember tons of air coming in from those vents, then out the lower vents.

In the FJ, I would think a shallow but wide vent would allow for airflow to come in from above (cleaner less dusty than below) then out the cracked windows. Maybe the flow would be reversed if the windows were fully open.

Okay, so whoever makes this needs to add a few extra fabrication minutes to have the vent open from the rear or front, a central pivot like the Whirly Pop popcorn maker lid!!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Okay, so whoever makes this needs to add a few extra fabrication minutes to have the vent open from the rear or front, a central pivot like the Whirly Pop popcorn maker lid!!
You really need to consider what you are asking here. You are asking someone else to invest their time and money and prototype said product. Then cut a hole in the roof of THEIR FJ and install it to make sure it works. Then refine the design until a finished product is made. All this to sell how many units?

I would guess that far less than 1% of FJ owners have installed a sun roof, which will have similar effect. How many do you propose would actually be willing to cut a hole in the roof and headliner? I'd guess far fewer than installed sun roofs. Simply not worth the time and finances to build a prototype. If you are still that stong in favor of it, I suggest that you employ a fabricator to build one on your FJ, you never know, you may end up making them.

Just one fabricator's opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:ninja:-Just one fabricator's opinion. -

A valid opinion, probably more fact than opinion. There was humor injected into my original post, but sincerity sprinkled throughout.

I would actually be glad to pay for all costs associated with a one-off fab, but I am hoping that the post generates some ideas and discussion which could possibly lead to more people jumping in. Cutting a sunroof sized hole would be much more daunting to me than a 4" x 18" (?) hole. Or perhaps the scoop only requires 4 2 inch holes, and simply adheres to the roof. IDK. That is what I am hoping to generate... IDEAS.

I am not necessarily looking to reduce the cost of fabrication, rather increase the quality via my attempt at crowdsourcing. There are vents like this available (Sub WRX!) that range from simple sheet metal flaps, to fully gasketed weatherproof CF scoops. I want to hear of ideas, recommendations, tips, anectdotes, etc.. The more the merrier. I want this, I am sick of the airflow, and hate AC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, as time goes on and more and more FJ's show up on the race circuit, I believe we will see more scoops. They are necessary in that usage.

Much like the Rice* Rally circuit has generated a slew of aftermarket parts for WRX and Lancers, I am hoping to hear if anyone has more information or experience.

*My terminology; I don't believe it is generally accepted but I would assume it is clear

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Have you looked at marine hatches? I would think a small hatch at the back of the roof would do fa better than something toward the front.

When I open the rear window in my FJ I get great airflow and the wind buffeting you generally get from just the front windows being open goes away. Down side is the chance of exhaust gas getting into the interior when the rear window is open. It may be an easy solution to what you are trying to achieve.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts