1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody>
I started to experience some vibrations on low speeds, usually around
1500 rpm.
It feels like wheels are out of balance but they are not. There is no vibrations on the steering wheel. It happens on gentle acceleration and if I easy up the throtle it goay away. It's fine on highway. I took my FJ to dealership. Althouth they confirmed the problem they couldn't exacly put finger on it so I was told that it's caused by a muffler vibration. Apparently muffler is intact but som pieces got loose inside causing vibration.
I don't really believe that. Muffler is $600. I have stock vehicle with no modifications to suspention.
If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreaciate it.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
WTF is "muffler vibration"? Along with what you have described I call and throw the Bullsh*t Flag. The inside of a muffler is very simple, baffle plates that modify airflow. Unless you ran over something or have been jumping it, I can't see how the inside of the muffler would fail. I would check the hangers on the exhaust first. Since it seems to be RPM sensitive, try a stationary test. Have someone run the RPMs up while you listen to for the "vibration". Just a first guess at trying to find the "muffler vibration". Good luck.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Did they check your motor mounts? Probably wouldn't hurt to check all the drivetrain mounts and connecting bolts too.

Don't let them just start throwing parts at it (unless they're paying) :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't but that muffler vibration either. They said that everything else is normal.
I researched this issue on the net and some other trucks ( not FJ ) had similar problems. Sombody suggested " engine lugging or transmission/torque converter lock up shifting problem".
Enybody can comment on that?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I was going to suggest the torque converter as a possibilty.Ther have been a few FJs that have had them go south. Also look at your drive lines to see if they have thrown a weight, or have any dents or rash on them. It's not your muffler bearing.:lol::cheers:

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's not the muffler. This is a pretty common problem. There are lots of threads on it. My guess is it's the tires. I have it when I have the Dunlops on, but it goes away when I put my snow tires on. For me, it's the Dunlops, and it has nothing to do with balance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was going to suggest the torque converter as a possibilty.Ther have been a few FJs that have had them go south. Also look at your drive lines to see if they have thrown a weight, or have any dents or rash on them. It's not your muffler bearing.:lol::cheers:
I have had the same problem on my 2007 FJ Cruiser.... low speed acceleration vibration...usually around 1100-1300rpm....more frequent at slight inclines.... I think if it was a tire issue, the problem would manifest itself at a certain speed but this problem occurs consistently on torque demand... it occurs in overdrive at low speeds or on the highway...

·
Registered
656 Posts
My first guess is tire. A broken belt could cause a low speed wobble that gradually disappears with speed. Have someone follow you and check the tires for a wobble. Maybe a bent rim.
Next could be a worn U-joint in the driveshaft.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have had the same problem on my 2007 FJ Cruiser.... low speed acceleration vibration...usually around 1100-1300rpm....more frequent at slight inclines.... I think if it was a tire issue, the problem would manifest itself at a certain speed but this problem occurs consistently on torque demand... it occurs in overdrive at low speeds or on the highway...
Ditto.
2007 FJ with 85K on the odo. Now I'm getting that same low rpm vibration. Popping it out of OD eliminates it, and now I only use OD when going 50 mph or more. Weird.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New forum member. I ended up here when I googled my problem. Same deal - low speed vibration, only under power, in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. It stops when I remove my foot from the gas pedal. I've had the FJ for about a year and started noticing this problem about a month ago. 2007, 71K, Goodrich Long Trail T/A tires. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I don't believe its tire related. I have new Bridestone A/Ts, just had them rotated/balanced at 5000 miles. Problem did not cease.

Rarely go offroad with my rig.

Think of a manual tranny in 4 gear, doing 1100 rpm and 15 mph....that's exactly what the FJ does. Perhaps we should be keeping it in Drive and use Overdrive ONLY when we're above 50 mph? Well, that's my work-around right now anyway....

·
Registered
439 Posts
In regards to the vibration, does is start around 15 miles an hour and decrease around 25 to 30 miles an hour?

I had a similar issue that was escalated up the ranks at Toyota (I just wouldn't give up). The result was they had an area engineer come out and apply vibration sensors to the vehicle to figure it out. They found the issue and replaced a part in the front of the vehicle's drive train. Not sure what it was off-hand, but I can go home and look at the paperwork. They mentioned at the time, that very few FJ's have had this issue (but they knew about it and were not volunteering the information to everyone). Maybe, it's showing up more and more now and could be your issue. Not sure though, but thought that I would share that with you if the symptoms are the same. If so, I can dig through the paperwork to find the answer.

Just to avoid any guesses, I am pretty sure it was not the torque converter.

·
Registered
916 Posts
In regards to the vibration, does is start around 15 miles an hour and decrease around 25 to 30 miles an hour?

I had a similar issue that was escalated up the ranks at Toyota (I just wouldn't give up). The result was they had an area engineer come out and apply vibration sensors to the vehicle to figure it out. They found the issue and replaced a part in the front of the vehicle's drive train. Not sure what it was off-hand, but I can go home and look at the paperwork. They mentioned at the time, that very few FJ's have had this issue (but they knew about it and were not volunteering the information to everyone). Maybe, it's showing up more and more now and could be your issue. Not sure though, but thought that I would share that with you if the symptoms are the same. If so, I can dig through the paperwork to find the answer.

Just to avoid any guesses, I am pretty sure it was not the torque converter.
If you could find the paperwork that would be helpful to me.
To clarify, it's only in OD, around 30-45 mph, (low RPM) and can be eliminated with acceleration, or dropping the auto into Drive (From OD).

·
Registered
439 Posts
I will look for it tonight, I didn't have the chance last night as my FJ is still in the shop for another matter. I should get it back today. If the paperwork isn't in there, I will call the dealership and see if they can tell me what part it was.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have this same issue and feel it at 45 MPH most. I have a 2011 with only 2,000 miles. My steering wheel also rocks left and right a little.....I just put new wheels and tires on but I did have the issue before I did the wheel/tire change. The issue was not as notable with the original set of Bridgestone 17"s as it is with the new set of BFG 16"s. Both sets are OEM wheels with OEM tire size and there are no other mods to the rigs drive line or suspension.

I did talk to a service adviser about it and they said it was normal for the 4x4 Fj.....BS I say

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have an appointment tomorrow morning at Toyota for the issue. I'm going to another Toyota dealer/service to have the Fj looked at. I did drop the trans into 4th gear and it did help settle the issue down some but it’s still there just not near as bad.

·
Registered
943 Posts
another little update, drove the rig about 75 miles today and seems at low speed 0 to 50 in 4th gear the truck drives pretty fine but in 5th gear she vibrates or has a shake to her. At 60 to 65 MPH in 5th gear the shake vibration is intermittent...sometimes it does it , sometimes bad and yet sometimes it is as smooth as glass????? Very strange:ugh:

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Same here. Slight incline at 15 -20 mph. Slight shake. Almost like a tire out of balance. Happened a couple of times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
very interested to hear what you find out. I'm having the same issue and it is getting worse. Slight accelleration or when going slightly uphill, happening at speeds between 20 and 45 mph, can make it stop by increasing or decreasing acceleration. New tires and having them rebalanced seemed to make it worse.

Boomy,
Any info you can get would be greatly appreciated. I've read transfer case mounts on some other threads but crawled underneath and that doesn't seem to be my problem.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts