Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking to get a transmission cooler for my FJ. But it seems the trans fluid is also cooled by the radiator, so I'm thinking to get a low temp thermostat so it pretty much achieves the same result. Also keeping the engine oil cooler as well.

Is this a good idea?

Now, I've heard plenty of 'em say Toyota engineered the trans cooler into the radiator for a reason....optimum temperature.... blah blah...

But is lowering coolant temps by 10-15 deg C gonna affect much ? right now my ECT reads 89-91 deg C under normal driving & 94-96 deg C while offloading (4-5k rpms)

From Mishimoto - The Mishimoto thermostat has a lower activation temperature (71°C/160°F) compared to the factory thermostat (82°C/180°F). The lower activation temperature allows coolant to flow through the engine earlier, which yields and maintains lower engine temperatures. This thermostat is ideal for use in warmer climates, on vehicle
s making more power than stock, or under extreme towing/driving conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
For more transmission cooling you will need a dedicated transmission fluid cooler that is much larger than what the factory provided on the bottom of the radiator, there are lots of options for good aftermarket AT coolers.

Running a cooler thermostat in your engine won't have any affect on your transmission temperature, or if it does will be minor, it will mainly make your engine slower to warm up to operating temperature and will make your cabin heater colder in the winter.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Stick to the external cooler like norm stated, this will be far more effective. You also don't really want to run a cooler thermostat without adjusting the ecm tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’d stick with a transmission cooler, I installed one a few years back and it has helped a lot. I used a Hayden (?) transmission cooler with some brackets from an Australian company called Kaon. I believe they have a kit you can buy that has everything you need too.

A new radiator could help if you‘re looking for other upgrades, CSF and Mishimoto have some aluminum radiator upgrades that are supposed to be a lot more efficient. Your truck tuning takes the thermostat temp into account, without adjusting the tune you’ll end up causing more issues than anything else.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Reactions: FaJa Cruiser
1 - 5 of 5 Posts