Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an FJ 2010 and do offroading in Dubai, UAE.
The issue that i face is low torque on my FJ 2010 compared to the 2009 and 2008 models. This is very crucial for the dunes since one needs power at low RPMs. The older models have the 1GRFE engines which are extreamly good in this area. The new FJ 2010 has an improved engine with a double VVTI engine which seem to be more fuel efficient and higher BHP on higher RPMS
One starts experiencing the power from 3000 RPM only, anywhere below 2500 the car looses RPM on a climb and falls dead.:thinkerg:
Has anyone experienced similar problems with 2010 models?
I have installed a UNICHIP, but thats not improving the low end torque.
I have K&N air intake and a TRD catback
Now considering Headers and possibly the Y pipe as well to improve the bottom to mid range.

Your inputs/ suggestions on improvements would add value:)
Please help....

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have an FJ 2010 and do offroading in Dubai, UAE.
The issue that i face is low torque on my FJ 2010 compared to the 2009 and 2008 models. This is very crucial for the dunes since one needs power at low RPMs. The older models have the 1GRFE engines which are extreamly good in this area. The new FJ 2010 has an improved engine with a double VVTI engine which seem to be more fuel efficient and higher BHP on higher RPMS
One starts experiencing the power from 3000 RPM only, anywhere below 2500 the car looses RPM on a climb and falls dead.:thinkerg:
Has anyone experienced similar problems with 2010 models?
I have installed a UNICHIP, but thats not improving the low end torque.
I have K&N air intake and a TRD catback
Now considering Headers and possibly the Y pipe as well to improve the bottom to mid range.

Your inputs/ suggestions on improvements would add value:)
Please help....
Hi

I am in Abu Dhabi and have the same set up like yours......is this Raghu ?? Rags ??

I had a 2008 and now after that the 2010 does feel underpowered in low RPM. The solution I have found is to drive in 4 Low in fourth or third all the time compared to 4 High and first second on tne 2008. The RPM is high and the power is instant.

Like u said UNICHIP / K& N 77 series and TRD Cat Back didn't help much. I am looking at the new DT Long tubes, they claim to b good.

Call me to talk more 050 612 3015

Wasif

·
Registered
655 Posts
If I where you, I'd do a diesel engine swap...

The 1KD-FTV should fit right in from a 2010 Prados.

But if you have a good mechanic and a lot of $$, transplant a dual-turbo 1VD-FTV. (drool!!!)

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
You could just change your gearing to suit your needs. My jeep has probably 100HP/TQ at the wheel with all its weight, 35" tires and can climb anything with 513 gears.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
You could just change your gearing to suit your needs. My jeep has probably 100HP/TQ at the wheel with all its weight, 35" tires and can climb anything with 513 gears.
Gearing is key.

To the op, what size tires are you running? I run a 32.7"is tire and my gearing is fine at the dunes here in California

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the feedback
Wasif - Its me Raghu (Rags). yeah, the low torque/ low RPM performance on the dunes sucks.
Gotta crack this issue
Gearing is one option, but then the onroad performance will suck.

I guess the next best option would be to go for DT long tube headers and get rid of two cats. This should increase the back pressure while increasing the low to mid range torque. Lets see the outcome and will keep you guys posted.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Yes you need torque to move over stuff at low RPM. The gearing change and headers will help that for certain. If the engine had longer stroke and/or bigger bore that would help even more. The equation for Power is T/time (in seconds) = kgm/s = Watt. The 2010 puts out the same or more torque at equivalent RPMs as the earlier engines, so I'm not sure what the difference is going up the dunes. I've always needed speed moving up dunes, but the torque comes in near the top when you hit critical drag, then slip. Tires (traction & flotation) are a mans best friend in this situation!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have a 07 with 35s and a bunch of armor and I drove a 2010 on stock tires and wheels the other day and I noticed a huge difference in power between the two. I couldn't believe how mine felt like it had way more tq than the new motor. I wonder if it is the rpm tq curve. Must be tuned for better fuel economy.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the feedback
Wasif - Its me Raghu (Rags). yeah, the low torque/ low RPM performance on the dunes sucks.
Gotta crack this issue
Gearing is one option, but then the onroad performance will suck.

I guess the next best option would be to go for DT long tube headers and get rid of two cats. This should increase the back pressure while increasing the low to mid range torque. Lets see the outcome and will keep you guys posted.
Rags

Nice to see u here.

Where did you get the UNICHIP from, was it fitted by MOCA and did they do dyno tests before and after ? What was the power gain.

I too am really thinking about the new DT long tubes and getting rid of the pre cats.

Let me know where you are getting the headers from and at what price.

We really need to meet up to compare our cars.

What size and brand tires are you running ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
the UNICHIP was done at MOCA
they did the dyno before and after, the gain was average 25 to 30 BHP and torque about 50 ft.lb these are at 3500 to 4000 RPMs Now what happens at 1000 to 1500 RPM is not known since its mapped only at 3500 RPM onwards :-(
I am getting the DT long tubes for 2800/- fitted.
Tires are YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER 275 x 70 x R16
lets meet during this weekend. Friday is good and we will be goin for a drive at Area 53 @ 2:00 PM. Do Lemme know.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I too need to get my car dyno tested at MOCA and the UNICHIP fine tuned but since mine is an imported UNICHIP and they are asking for a hell of a lot of money.

Did you get yours with the plug and play harness ?

You will have to go back to them for a re tune once you install the headers.

This time ask them to provide a graph showing the complete power and torque curves.

Have fun on Friday....I cant make it

·
Registered
8 Posts
change ur Pinion

to 4.88 Ring & Pinion

in zayed road

4x4 Accessories - 4x4 Parts - Off road Accessories - 4 Wheel Drive Dubai - UAE - Aev.ae

one of my friends installed them for his 2010 and with Haltech computer chip

it runs amazing

hi,

i have the same issue - torque just doesn't come up on the new fj's till you reach higher rpm no matter how you play around with the gears and inspite of low tire pressure and michelin ltx tires....

yaberadiano - doesn't increase ring and pinion size give you higher rpm's at high speeds which is a disadvantage on highway travel?

appreciate your input and also if possible the name/number of your freind to ask more questions.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes. Ring & Pinion is a defenite disadvantage on high ways
the scale would depend upon the change itself.
You loose efficiency. This way one has to make a choice between on road / off road performance. Does not appeal to me
Remapping the torque/ power curve is the way to go, but you need an expert/ trust worthy tuner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Change in gearing to increase torque will reduce the efficiency on highways. Not a nice solution..... You are making a choice for offroad performance over onroad performance

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Change in gearing to increase torque will reduce the efficiency on highways. Not a nice solution..... You are making a choice for offroad performance over onroad performance
Change the gearing in your transfer case to increase torque off-road, and your highway gearing will be unaffected.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts