Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so last weekend I put on my new skids and noticed a loose bolt on the right front control arm. Took it in for o/c and rotation and pointed out the bolt that had been loose. Guess what...........the "ear" inside my frame that connects to this c/a has disintegrated. No fix for that. The front connection of the control arm is stuck and they can't seem to break it loose. They beat the schit out of it today and it won't break loose. It goes back to Toyota on Monday. Meanwhile, the guys will be brainstorming trying to figure this out. They said it is something that just never happens! My service guy actually said "your truck beat my ass today". Normally that comment from a man would make me giggle but I'm guessing it's not good coming from the service dept.

They're going to work on breaking it loose again on Monday. If it doesn't work, they'll have to disassemble to get the c/a out.

This has been the cause of my bad rub. The right front tire is sitting considerably further back than the left. So the caster is way off. The camber is way off. The toe (sp) is way off. They said it's not anything I did :worried:, it's just some freaky thing. I will not miss the Harlan ride even if it does cost me a tire to get there and back!

Any thoughts, suggestions?

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found out that Matt had the same problem when putting on his lift. Sounds like there is a hydraulic hammer and some heat in my near future.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
This is interesting. i hope you get this figured out! can you post a pic of the location? i assume you are referring to the bolt that also has the camber adjustment cam for the passenger side LCA? i am having a hard time finding a shop who is willing to mess with those essentrics so i can get my alignment dialed in for a reasonable price. i never thought it would be so hard to find a shop to do this. so far i have gone to 3 shops and they all stop once they get toe within spec. one shop can't even do the camber and caster adjustments because he can't get his equipment to fit my TRD wheels. one shop will adjust the essentrics, but they want $196!!! i really hope my LCA bolts don't end up having your problem because my driver's side camber plate is way out of range. good luck and keep us posted.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is the correct bolt. I've got a good friend in the local Toyota service dept. He's very anal and won't stop til it's right and the cost will be minimal if any.

I have to admit, the truck is kinda cool looking with all the flippers on it when it's hooked up to the machine. I'm thinking they might make a good mod for our next obx outing.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Yes, that is the correct bolt. I've got a good friend in the local Toyota service dept. He's very anal and won't stop til it's right and the cost will be minimal if any.

I have to admit, the truck is kinda cool looking with all the flippers on it when it's hooked up to the machine. I'm thinking they might make a good mod for our next obx outing.
i might need to make a little day trip to greenville and let him play around with my camber adjustments.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's good at what he does and I don't really trust any of the other mechanics with my truck.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
This is interesting. i hope you get this figured out! can you post a pic of the location? i assume you are referring to the bolt that also has the camber adjustment cam for the passenger side LCA? i am having a hard time finding a shop who is willing to mess with those essentrics so i can get my alignment dialed in for a reasonable price. i never thought it would be so hard to find a shop to do this. so far i have gone to 3 shops and they all stop once they get toe within spec. one shop can't even do the camber and caster adjustments because he can't get his equipment to fit my TRD wheels. one shop will adjust the essentrics, but they want $196!!! i really hope my LCA bolts don't end up having your problem because my driver's side camber plate is way out of range. good luck and keep us posted.
my local firestone dealer did mine with even blinking..

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Ok, so last weekend I put on my new skids and noticed a loose bolt on the right front control arm. Took it in for o/c and rotation and pointed out the bolt that had been loose. Guess what...........the "ear" inside my frame that connects to this c/a has disintegrated. No fix for that. The front connection of the control arm is stuck and they can't seem to break it loose. They beat the schit out of it today and it won't break loose. It goes back to Toyota on Monday. Meanwhile, the guys will be brainstorming trying to figure this out. They said it is something that just never happens! My service guy actually said "your truck beat my ass today". Normally that comment from a man would make me giggle but I'm guessing it's not good coming from the service dept.

They're going to work on breaking it loose again on Monday. If it doesn't work, they'll have to disassemble to get the c/a out.

This has been the cause of my bad rub. The right front tire is sitting considerably further back than the left. So the caster is way off. The camber is way off. The toe (sp) is way off. They said it's not anything I did :worried:, it's just some freaky thing. I will not miss the Harlan ride even if it does cost me a tire to get there and back!

Any thoughts, suggestions?
vdm sounds like you have it under control..

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
my local firestone dealer did mine with even blinking..
two of the firestones in my area refuse to touch the essentrics. sucks, because i bought the lifetime alignment.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here ya go. It's the part directly above my knee that is stuck.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Here ya go. It's the part directly above my knee that is stuck.

looks like the bolt for that part of the LCA may be bent. whatever the case, it definitely looks stressed there. keep us posted on this.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That part is not bent. It's just a distorted camera angle.

Anyway, it's fixed. It seems it was not stuck, it just had nothing to adjust against since my ear is now gone. God only knows what that means but it's fixed now. They used a "come along" to pull the tire into place. It is as close to spec as we can get it considering the mud tires and lift. My rub is completely gone as my front tires are parallel again.

Gonna test it out this weekend at Harlan. We'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I'm wondering what the heck an ear is?? are they talking about the oblong eccentric bolt?

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Huh, didn't hear you. I'm missing an ear, ya know.

I don't know. I do know that it is inside the frame. It is the piece used to adjust against.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts