Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I wouldn't think you'd need much in the way of fancy joints or bearings since they only
move a couple degrees and they're not really under a massive load.
Agreed. After having the All-Pros for 2 years, I decided that rather than going through the hassle of trying to grease the zerks, I'd just replace them with something sealed and without zerks.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I am running AllPros and I like them also their customer service is superb, I had an issue with a johnny joint and they replaced it right away........great company..

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I am running AllPros and I like them also their customer service is superb, I had an issue with a johnny joint and they replaced it right away........great company..
Didn't mean to badmouth them. They are insanely strong. In a pinch you could probably use them as a sledge hammer. I just prefer to minimize parts that need regular maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Didn't mean to badmouth them. They are insanely strong. In a pinch you could probably use them as a sledge hammer. I just prefer to minimize parts that need regular maintenance.

You have a good point, I can't get to the zerks on mines, probably have to take one of the ends down to grease it

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
You have a good point, I can't get to the zerks on mines, probably have to take one of the ends down to grease it
My exact reason for giving the SPC ones a try. They went on without a fuss and are silent. I probably spent more time scratching my head trying to figure out how my ratchet straps work than actually wrenching on stuff.

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I installed my metal tech opor rear links.
How are you supposed to reach that rear zerk?
While it's on the vehicle it seems like it will be difficult. My plan is to take them off about once a year to hit the zerk. Total time for install was less then and hour. I don't think the zerks would last long if you positioned them facing down.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Yea but keep in mind, just because there are zerks, it doesn't mean there needs to be any maintenance.
Grease them once and you're done. It's not something you would need to attend to regularly.
I guess it depends on where you live. Most aftermarket parts that sit near my rear axle are in pretty bad shape after 2 winters. If you spend a huge amount of time in dirt/mud/snow, "sealed" basically means, "less likely to be trashed after 2 winters".

·
Registered
212 Posts
The winter takes a tole on things for sure summer not as much in Colorado unless I go mudding which I'm not fond of. Today while I was under the FJ I greased every zerk. I do this once a year regardless. My land rover had alot of sealed parts no zerks but the parts would fail who knows how much longer they would have lasted if I could have regularly greased them.

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
While it's on the vehicle it seems like it will be difficult. My plan is to take them off about once a year to hit the zerk. Total time for install was less then and hour. I don't think the zerks would last long if you positioned them facing down.
G'day MD,
I ended up fitting a second set of zerks to rear of my lowers, at the back, so it sits just under the top lip of the mount at back- at 2o'clock type thing. so now I can jack up the J, and it rolls down a tad to give access.
I got sick of removing them to grease them, but then again I was greasing them every 3 months or so.
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I guess it depends on where you live. Most aftermarket parts that sit near my rear axle are in pretty bad shape after 2 winters. If you spend a huge amount of time in dirt/mud/snow, "sealed" basically means, "less likely to be trashed after 2 winters".
If you'll notice from my avatar, I'm in Texas, so nothing close to what you'd call Winter. : )

41 - 60 of 80 Posts