Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very basic question. I just purchased the All Pro Lower link Skids and the rear shock skids - what do I have to brace/jack up/support in order to install these?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
shock skids, nothing. just use a 17mm socket, IIRC. the shocks will remain held in place.

rear lower control arm skids...i installed mine the same time i relace the LCAs, so had everything off anyways. it will be best to lift up the rear and let the axle drop prior to removing the bolt from the front part of the LCA.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shock skids, nothing. just use a 17mm socket, IIRC. the shocks will remain held in place.

rear lower control arm skids...i installed mine the same time i relace the LCAs, so had everything off anyways. it will be best to lift up the rear and let the axle drop prior to removing the bolt from the front part of the LCA.
Thank you very much, no instructions came with the skids and I didn't want the FJ to squish my head when I took the bolts out.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thank you very much, no instructions came with the skids and I didn't want the FJ to squish my head when I took the bolts out.
Remember, that it's the rear coil springs and the front coil-over shocks and they're related mounts that "hold the FJ up." Otherwise, you're really just dealing with other subcomponents of the suspension system.

I found while installing my custom link skids, that jacking up the opposite side of the vehicle (in the rear) caused the needed articulation in the suspension to more easily get the mounting bolt out and back in. Otherwise you will most likely find that having gotten the bolt out (by force) that the holes no longer line up for re-installation.

A.W.D.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember, that it's the rear coil springs and the front coil-over shocks and they're related mounts that "hold the FJ up." Otherwise, you're really just dealing with other subcomponents of the suspension system.

I found while installing my custom link skids, that jacking up the opposite side of the vehicle (in the rear) caused the needed articulation in the suspension to more easily get the mounting bolt out and back in. Otherwise you will most likely find that having gotten the bolt out (by force) that the holes no longer line up for re-installation.

A.W.D.
Thanks for the explanation, that helps understand things better. I just finished the install, fairly easy. I didn't see your post till now, so I jacked up the same side. The bolts came out easy enough, and were not too difficult to get back in, just used a big screw driver to align the whole from the back side, took about 15 minutes a side to do both the shock skid and the lower link skid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts