Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed spacers on my FJ and now the stock antenna is hitting my garage door when I pull inside. Is there a way to lower the antenna by a few inches? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I'm not sure who makes them, but there is a "euro" style shorter rubber type antenna that some guys run. And I seem to remember it being reasonably priced. But to your question, I've never fiddled with it, but I have been inside the fender when I put my snorkel on and I don't think you can lower it.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I'm going to go with a antenna soon that will be a wire with a box that wraps around my inside windshield head liner. It just gets in the way on trail, carwash and is to old school for me

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any links to these antennas you guys are talking about?

I guess it was wishful thinking that I could just cut a few inches off the top or lower it.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
You can cut it. I have the same issue, I tried the shorty antennas and the reception is terrible if your far from the source. I finally cut about 3 in off the top of the antenna and then dipped the tip in Plastidip so it would not look funny and would be sealed. The reception did not change a bit and I fit in my garage without hitting it everytime.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use the stock antenna as a feeler when I go into parking garages. It sits just a little higher than my Gobbi Stealth rack. It's a dual purpose antenna. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I like my long aerial, as it is a good indicator of whether or not my roof rack will clear whatever I am driving under!
x2 was going to post the same thing. my antenna serves as a clearance gauge. would never replace with a shorter one.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
whoo, i was just about to buy a shorty antenna on ebay. glad i decided to read page 2 here first. antenna-as-clearance-gauge = very good. :cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts