Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJ 4WD A/T • 6-inch Fabtech • HD UCAs • KO2 35x12.5 R17• Warn bumper • 8500 superwinch • Bushwa
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I’ve just got my first weekend warrior FJ that is 6-in lifted, has aftermarket bumper, winch, spare, you name it. Oh and 35s, HD UCAs and sway bars removed too.

It is great, but there are 2 issues for me
1.The lift kit is using stock springs and shocks (except rear Dirt logic shocks), and
2. The center of gravity is a bit too high.

While I don’t mind keeping this lift and I love the fact that both arms are flat, I’d want to swap the 13 years old stock springs and shocks without increasing or better more with a slight decrease of the lift.

So I was thinking about replacing the 6-in spacer and stock strut with a 2.5” spacer + 2.5” OME HD lift = 5”.
Obviously there options of having 2" or 3" spacer instead too.
And then do something similar at the rear, but keep the full length Dirt Logic shock.

Should be pretty straight forward, right? And not too far from the spec.

My question is though: do I miss anything?
Namely: wouldn’t the extended bump stops be too close if not touching the LCAs, any spindle length issues, negative angle on control arms and 35s rubbing at some unexpected places?

If someone could please explain the control arms behaviour after 1" lowering and how it would affect the ride, that would be awesome. My assumption is that since the strut is shorter but the wheel mount is the same, they’d both go slightly up (but that also means there would be more room for down drop, no?). Also given that my struts are 13 y.o and have the weight of the bumper and winch, the real difference between them and OME HD might be even less than 1 inch.

I’m pretty sure someone must have done this before, but couldn’t find anything in the search.
Thank you

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,321 Posts
Hmm... I've heard of some folks with 6" Rough country lifted FJs going down to 3" lifts since the rough country kit is bolt-on, rather than other 6" lifts that require cutting and welding and are thus pretty much permanent. But I haven't heard of someone going the route your planning. Maybe someone has done it, but you could be the first to document it when you do it.

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
It has been done in the past and is a PITA, it is documented here on the forums. I'll see if I can find a link to the thread.

Probably cheaper to get some Dirt Logic shocks to fit the lift.

·
Registered
2007 FJ 4WD A/T • 6-inch Fabtech • HD UCAs • KO2 35x12.5 R17• Warn bumper • 8500 superwinch • Bushwa
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It has been done in the past and is a PITA, it is documented here on the forums. I'll see if I can find a link to the thread.

Yeah I read @FJJeremy 's thread before posting, but it only helped me with one thing: now I know that I'm stuck with the 6-inch lift, haha.
I didn't realize that the spindele length is changed during this lift kit installation prior to this.
I think in general what I want should be the same as 1-inch lowering of the stock FJ, not sure if anyone did this either though.

Thank you, that'd be awesome. I'm planning to keep the Dirty Logic at rear coz, right, it's full 6-inch lift length, fairly young (5yo) and there's nothing wrong with it.
So just springs + maybe spacers back there (depending on the springs length that I find, but assuming those from OME kit).
For the front though I see no reason going full length, as CV joints and wheel archs would not allow that travel with 35s anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts