Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Lowrance Baja Elite, is it worth it?

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  wandering way 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy the Lowrance Baja Elite GPS for the best satelitte signal in any environment. I am wondering is there a better/similiar product that has the 16 channel waas, and offers garmin city navagation? If not, anyone out there have the Lowrance Elite in there FJ yet? Please post some pics if so.

#2 · (Edited)
I run a Lowrance Baja 540C, which is not that different in offered features from the Elite. I have it mounted where my r/v mirror used to be and the antenna mount is on the top-rack. I love it - but you don't get street navigation with it. You need a separate GPS for that.

Some people have PC mounts and navigate that way but they take up a lot of space and if that's at a premium to you, my solution can't be beat. I also wanted the flexibility to operate it with one hand while driving with the other.

My FJ is not a daily driver so it's earmarked more or less for off-road/off-trail use. In that mode and with the criteria I looked for, the Lowrance was -- and remains the best option. It's by no means the only option. It performs as advertised and the trail and off-road capability is excellent.

#3 ·
My FJ is a daily driver; however I want to have the better off-road capabilities vs street. I had a Garmin 360, but the touch screen got cracked. I should be receiving my tax refund on Friday, and I am going to order. Right now I am set for the Lowrence. The Elite has a different mounting solution, so I am not sure I can mount it on the rear view mirror. Also the wife say's she needs that mirror. :( I was thinking of sticking a flat mirror on the lowrance screen protector with double sided tape. That why when not in use My wife can still see out the back of the FJ.

As far a street nav, It will have to wait for a year. Is the base (US) map of the Lowrance okay?

#4 ·
The Elite has a different mounting solution
I built the mount that I have that fits where the R/V mirror used to be. Since I load it up, you can't see well out of the back anyway and I don't miss the mirror. If you live by the R/V mirror - then it might pose a bit of a problem.

I was thinking of sticking a flat mirror on the lowrance screen protector with double sided tape. That why when not in use My wife can still see out the back of the FJ.
You may be able to make a mount that allows you to actually attach the R/V mirror to your Lowrance. I never played with it, but consider a metal loop that holds the R/V mirror and ties into the two hard point on either side of the Lowrance. Use foam rubber to cushion it so you don't hurt/scratch the GPS.

If you check out my build-up (THE SCORPION) - link below, you'll see that I have an equipment rack that rests behind the back seat. I can't see through it so I didn't need the R/V mirror.

Is the base (US) map of the Lowrance okay?
NO. You will need to buy a regional chip. I have two because of where I take the rig. The base map is ok for on-highway tracks but all of the tiny details that make the Lowrance useful is on those chips. They are easily interchangeable. Since you are from California, you may want to consider the Western States chip and the Southern States chip (covers Arizona, NMexico, etc.) If I take the FJ to Canada, I'll also buy a Canadian chip.

:ninja:

#6 · (Edited)
Awesome build Scorpion. Well I am sold on the Lowrance, and will come up with something for the mirror mount. I can live without the mirror, and I told my wife that every vacation trip has us using only the side mirrors due to the over-packed cargo area. Hehe

#7 ·
I can live without the mirror, and I told my wife that every vacation trip has us using only the side mirrors due to the over-packed cargo area.

I came to the same conclusion when I built this cargo storage rack. It has the added advantage of letting me stack to the roof in the back the way you do without having stuff fall forward.

The base map is excellent; however, the Lowrance does not do point to point navigation, so it's not very useful for street navigation, other than as a reference...but it has many features for off road use that are not found on any other type of GPS. I run a Garmin 1490T for the street, and the Lowrance 540C for off-road (with a Toughbook doing 3-D topo nav as well)

The Lowrance is what virtually every off-road race team uses - its as tough as they get...:rocker:
CruiserLarry is THE man when it comes to setting these things up. I highly recommend his company, Dirty Parts. He also set up a back-up camera and though I don't have one, it's a useful option when you need to pull the beast in the other direction and have the back full or use the R/V mirror mount for your GPS.

#8 ·
I ordered this morning the Lowrance and will recieve it by Tuesday. I didnt see your recommendation for Crusier Larry. I didn't know that he had a business. I saw him at FJ Summit 08. Good guy. Scorpion thanks for all your input in this topic. :)

#9 ·
Ok guys, educate me a little as I am old skool! I can use a key map, street map and a topo map & compass. I don't much about GPS and/or Lowrance. I haven't even purchased a Garmin yet! So how does a Lowrance differ from a garmin/tomtom? and do I need both? I am looking at purchasing a SPOT device and the DeLorme PN60w for future travels and I'm taking the GPS class at OX11. Sorry about taking this in a different direction.

#10 ·
I'm an novice at this as well. However for street GPS (garmin nuvis) I have used for close to four years, and have had problems in the mountains, or on unpaved roads. Because I have a bad sense of direction I need to use GPS. I have chosen to keep it simple by purchasing an off-road trail plotter which allows instant trail mapping with auto save points. This is known as "bread crumb strategy". After you have explored the unkown this GPS recorded your travel and is able to pinpoint you back to the exact route you took to get you home again. You can save it for future trips, give it to friends to explore, and also add customized poi. Since it is custom buildable you can also buy detailed trail topo maps from sources such as PCI radios.

The easiest way I could explain to my kids what this big GPS does is. By explaining how video games record your progress with auto saves; so if you die you don't have to start all over again. This saves your progress and displays the recording when using it as a chart plotter with no enhanced map data.( must purchase). Any way this is my understanding after reading the manuel and hearing from some of owners of the Lowrance. I received my unit yesterday and my jaw drop as to how enourmous and gorgous this thing is. Today I am going to try to have a r/v mirror bracket made. The elite seems to be different in the way it can be mounted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.