Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking cues from some very sharp people, I have a new Lowrence 540c mounted on the FJ.

I collaborated with SHADOW-WARRIOR, who created a mount to place the GPS where the R/V mirror had been. For the sort of driving I like to do, the R/V mirror is much less important than the GPS. I run a larger spare that tends to obscure the view to the rear and on an expedition load-out the back is "full".

It is easy to view, easy to operate on-the-fly and it doesn't obstruct the forward view.

I took a shot through the windshield and you can see that the GPS is well out of the way. It's a little tougher to get the idea in the above photo looking out of the windshield.

CRUISERLARRY Home fabricated a mount for the GPS, and it attaches to the N-Fab light bar.

Here's a closer view of the mount for the GPS Antenna.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Very nice Larry. The light bar looks good and Larry did a fabulous job like always with his elec work. Have you had the chance to test the lights out? how is the spread, any glare?

What is this new box & dam on the roof?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thats sweet. I like the GPS receiver.

Looks like it should be on a boat.

As for the removal of the rear view mirror. That would be sweet if that unit had video in. You could throw a camera in the back and have a virtual mirror.

I wish I could mount my nuvi like this.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Wow Larry, after talking on the phone I now see what your talking about on the mount CL made for the Lowrance antenna, very nice! What a clean install he did, I did notice, that you mounted the GPS a little different then I did in regards to the bracket. In your pics it looks like it extends out toward the windshield, is that correct? I may have to try that, hum……Mine as you can see in the pic comes towards the occupants…..I wonder if there is a difference and what it would be. I may have to take my mount down and switch it around and see how it performs. Anyways, the Scorpion is looking very Bad Azz now with the lights, I love it. I can’t wait to hear how you like them tonight. Very nice buddy :cheers: I’ll see if I can give you some more rep points. :D

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats sweet. I like the GPS receiver.

Looks like it should be on a boat.
They mount on a boat. They're completely waterproof.

As for the removal of the rear view mirror. That would be sweet if that unit had video in. You could throw a camera in the back and have a virtual mirror.
That mod is IN THE WORKS as I type. Yes, there will be a back-up camera with a monitor that may run as an adjunct to the screen. I can't slave it to the screen itself but it will display right below the GPS monitor.

Good suggestion - CRUISER LARRY and I have discussed it and it will be coming in the new year. (there's always room for just one more mod)

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how come you just don't attach a wide angle rear view mirror to the cover? Then when you are not using the GPS, you have a little more visibility.
That's a very good idea. I hadn't thought of it, but I LIKE IT! Thanks.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Larry,
Great set up.
Do you have any close ups of Mike's mounting bracket?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Very nice install Larry.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Wow, nice.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have any close ups of Mike's mounting bracket?
I don't. He shipped it off to me, I received it and the Lowrence was installed without photos. PM him for details. It's very straight forward. The problem with that location is that there's not much to mount to. Not a lot of metal and unless you're willing to bolt through the roof (and I'm not), it's just a bit tricky.

Luckily I had CRUISER LARRY's expertise on this project. The wiring for everything including setting up relays, special fusing, a fuse block, running the wires from the back of the rig, forward, etc. was about an 18 hour job. The fuse block and the lights/GPS are connected to the auxiliary battery. As I mentioned before, the digital LED Quad and the GPS run without the key. The lights require the key to be in the "on" position. I also have the wiring for the Man-a-Fre auxiliary fuel tank in place (done at the same time) so that should go in very easily.

Very nice install Larry.
Thanks.

Saw Scorpion in person today. The installation of the Lowrance GPS is one of the cleanest I've seen.
Thanks TC. I'm looking forward to the new and improved TC machine. I suspect that it's going to end up looking a bit like the AIR2AIR Starship.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Whoa! You're getting the MAF aux tank too? Man your rig is outta site. Now we have to keep up with the Lamberts...

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Wow Larry, after talking on the phone I now see what your talking about on the mount CL made for the Lowrance antenna, very nice! What a clean install he did, I did notice, that you mounted the GPS a little different then I did in regards to the bracket. In your pics it looks like it extends out toward the windshield, is that correct? I may have to try that, hum……Mine as you can see in the pic comes towards the occupants…..I wonder if there is a difference and what it would be. I may have to take my mount down and switch it around and see how it performs. Anyways, the Scorpion is looking very Bad Azz now with the lights, I love it. I can’t wait to hear how you like them tonight. Very nice buddy :cheers: I’ll see if I can give you some more rep points. :D
SW, I mounted your bracket in Uphill's rig in a downward direction, as I thought it would position the Lowrance lower and farther back for the driver to see. It looks like you designed it to mount upward to tuck the GPS up higher. Seeing both pics shows how both directions can work well - the bracket is more versatile than you probably thought it would be - nice design.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
SW, I mounted your bracket in Uphill's rig in a downward direction, as I thought it would position the Lowrance lower and farther back for the driver to see. It looks like you designed it to mount upward to tuck the GPS up higher. Seeing both pics shows how both directions can work well - the bracket is more versatile than you probably thought it would be - nice design.
Great install job Larry, I wished I lived closer and I would have you do mine also. The Antenna bracket is awesome, I think I'm going to have steel your idea myself. :cowsmile:

I never thought about a bracket, that I could mount the antenna too, so I don't have to put more holes in the roof. great job buddy. Rep Points to ya. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
ok now let's hear some "in use" reports on the lowrance...
1)how easy are inputs in the field if someone hands you a book or paper with numbers?
2) full sunlight screen visibliity? I would think with that high mount you would have great daylight visibility
3) glare/brightness of the screen at night...can you dim/change the color?
4) maps? are you happy with the topo maps, do they show plenty of trails and detail so you can explore?
just some questions since I really like that unit and if I was gonna give up my laptop setup it would be for that.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
How about a setup where the laptop is kept in the glove compartment, hooked up to the Lowrance so you can keep doing the computer stuff when needed?

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
ok now let's hear some "in use" reports on the lowrance...
1)how easy are inputs in the field if someone hands you a book or paper with numbers?
2) full sunlight screen visibliity? I would think with that high mount you would have great daylight visibility
3) glare/brightness of the screen at night...can you dim/change the color?
4) maps? are you happy with the topo maps, do they show plenty of trails and detail so you can explore?
just some questions since I really like that unit and if I was gonna give up my laptop setup it would be for that.
Ok, I have been running mine for about two weeks now in succession with my laptop running MS Streets & Trips GPS & De Lorme Street Atlas 08 Here are my findings so far.

Lance as far as punching Coordinates it is pretty straight forward. I’m a bit spoiled when it comes to using a laptop GPS system, you just punch in a start point then an end point and it draws a map and route to your destination. I’m still learning the system it is very powerful and will do allot of things for you. They do have a computer hookup you can buy for the BAJA 540c that allows you to use your laptop to make routes real easy then download them on the chip into the GPS unit. I think this is the way to go myself. I’ll be buying the little USB chip plug in from Lowrance.

The screen has four different brightness scales. When you turn the Unit on, it is very bright for daytime driving. All you have to do is hit the power button on the unit one more time and it dims it more, hit it again, and it dims it even more, one more makes it very dim. It works great while driving at night.

The unit comes with a base map of the US but is very basic. I purchased the extra detailed map #F103EX-S of the 10 central US States, this includes the following States. CO, KS, MO, AZ, NM, OK, TX, AR, MS, LA. The map detail is leaps and bounds over the MS & DeLrome products. It gives you actual Topo details, depths of any inland waterways, tiny little creeks, dirt roads, etc. The graphics are pretty cool too. The maps you have to buy extra are about $110. apiece. It’s a little expensive, but well worth the amount of detail that you get. It is kind of funny, I was talking with Larry the other night, and he called and said “Man! Did you know that when you get close to the end of the detailed map chip, it’s like blank!, it just stops. I laughed, and said yeh, I watched when I went to TN leaving just the Eastern side of Memphis I watched the screen change, it reverts back to the base map with very little detail.

So far I love the Unit, again I have only scratched the surface of its capabilities myself. It even has a RADAR function…Hummmm…:D

That’s my report so far, Larry can chime in here to when he gets back from AZ. I talked with him last night coming back running with Sean K. I understand that the Scorpion went trail riding with two ROCK BUGGIES on a level five trail with huge boulders. He said Sean broke an axe if that tells you anything about the trail he was on. I won’t say anymore, I’ll let Larry give you all the details of the ride.

How about a setup where the laptop is kept in the glove compartment, hooked up to the Lowrance so you can keep doing the computer stuff when needed?

Todd, that could be alternative, The unit has a cord that comes off it with bare wires so you can hook up a serial port to the end for a computer connection. I plan on doing this myself, that way I can just plug the laptop up load a route to the Unit. I’m sure Larry will have his own report for everyone. Sorry Larry for the hijack of your own thread buddy. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts