Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed the ball joint into the spindle, preloaded it, tightened the ball joint but it looks like theres about a 1/2 in between the spindle and the ball joint boot. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
From what I've seen, yeah, that's normal. Looks weird, doesn't it?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've seen, yeah, that's normal. Looks weird, doesn't it?
Yea, it does. I thought maybe I hadn't preloaded it enough, the truck came up off the timbers it was sitting on and the castle nut looks about right. Thanks for the reply, now i can get back to work...lol. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I also wondered about that extra length on the ball joint shaft. The LR UCA's are my next purchase, btw, so I've been researching them, myself.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I've installed the ball joint into the spindle, preloaded it, tightened the ball joint but it looks like theres about a 1/2 in between the spindle and the ball joint boot. Is this normal?
Yes.:cheers:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Did you torque the nut down on the ball joint while the wheels were off the ground , or after you lowered the vehicle to the ground ?

I was under the impression that the nut was not to be torqued until the vehicle was sitting flat under it's own weight so there was no pre-load on the ball joint .

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called the local shop, talked to the shop manager, told him that I had just installed these LR UCA and that I wanted to bring it in for an alignment. He was very negative, said if I'd put a lift on it that there was no way they could align it. I went anyway and asked to talk to the alignment guy before he started work on it. I explained to him what I had done and that the UCA should be pretty close. He said he'd start on the bottom and see how things worked out. He made a few adjustment on the bottom and never touched the UCA except to check the torque as I didn't have a socket big enough to do it myself. Real nice guy as he let me watch the whole process. Everything was back to factory specs...drives great now. Thanks to everyone of this forum and Metal Tech....lots of great info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts