Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

221 - 228 of 228 Posts

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Found my leak! CEL never came back, but went to gas up at Costco last night and noticed some gas on the ground when filling the main tank. Apparently the rubber hose between the new fill neck and the section of main tank that I cut off wasn't 100% sealed and was letting some fuel out. Got that fixed today and tested the system out. No issues now. Can't wait to get a full fill on the aux tank now! Thanks to everyone for their inputs on ways to test it. Guess I can return the smoke machine :D
Awesome!! :clap:

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Thought I would give you all a little update. Back in February (2019) I built a voltage converter to get the auto-fill function on the Apexus switch to work. Apexus hadn't tested the switch for a descending voltage signal, which is what our truck uses for the main tank, and weren't quite sure if it would work. Go back to post #124 if you're interested.
I'm happy to report that with my voltage converter the auto-fill function has worked great for the last 10 months. And I'm in the habit now of filling both tanks every time so the function gets used every week. It is so convenient to get 600-700 miles between fill-ups and not even have to bother with pushing the transfer button!

I also emailed Apexus recently to get an update and see if they had finished their testing with the descending voltage. They wrote back and confirmed that they had updated their firmware and the new switches are fully functional now and then sent me a brand new switch! For a 3rd party vendor this company has really great customer service. So this coming weekend after Christmas I'll be removing my home-made circuit and installing the new switch. I'll post an update in a couple weeks after I've run through a few full tanks with the new switch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a tank installed by a local shop last July, your review of the install helped me decide to have it done vice trying to work on it piecemeal in the drive.
I'm guessing if I wanted to employ this new feature it would take a new switch and a signal from the fuel sender ?

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
I had a tank installed by a local shop last July, your review of the install helped me decide to have it done vice trying to work on it piecemeal in the drive.
I'm guessing if I wanted to employ this new feature it would take a new switch and a signal from the fuel sender ?
You would definitely need the new switch. The signal you need from your main fuel tank sender is already in the truck, it's the purple/white wire behind your dash. There is a picture of it on post #124. I'll post new installation instructions for the switch after I get it installed.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Unfortunately, I have to report that the new switch did not work as hoped. I could not get it to work consistently using the descending voltage from the main tank sending unit. It appears to still have some bugs in the full auto mode. I have reached out to Apexus to see if I should try/do something different, but until I hear back from them I will have to go back to using my voltage inverter. I'll post again when I get a response.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Unfortunately, I have to report that the new switch did not work as hoped. I could not get it to work consistently using the descending voltage from the main tank sending unit. It appears to still have some bugs in the full auto mode. I have reached out to Apexus to see if I should try/do something different, but until I hear back from them I will have to go back to using my voltage inverter. I'll post again when I get a response.
Thank you for the update on this. Planning to order an LRA auxiliary tank in the spring, but don’t like the idea of the manual switch.
I’m interested to hear whether the Apexus switch will work as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Having operated an FJ aux tank for years now, an auto-matic transfer switch is not on my wish list. I choose to move the fuel forward and aft as needed and balance loading. Very similar to moving a passenger from the rear cargo to the front passenger seat, you feel it. Also if the pump runs dry it burns up and I would rather be the one responsible and not a faulty sender unit. I also have a "Y" valve connected to the pump with extra fuel hose to transfer fuel to others, only if its in the aux tank and not the factory tank.

For me flicking a switch to transfer fuel is a feature with multiple benefits not the least of which is it is dead simple, not a burden.

221 - 228 of 228 Posts