Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pics please......Please...:)

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Here's my rig pre-lift with 255/75/17 BFG MT's :bigthumb: Hope this helps! :clap:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Is there a reason why the 255/75/17's are only $97 (@ tirerack) versus 255/85/16 at $175??

I noticed this huge price difference a few days after picking up the 16" pizza cutters! For that price I couldve picked up a set of steelies and MT's and saved a few bucks!

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I want 16" rims now, so I can get the 85's (NICE SIZE !)...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Is there a reason why the 255/75/17's are only $97 (@ tirerack) versus 255/85/16 at $175??

I noticed this huge price difference a few days after picking up the 16" pizza cutters! For that price I couldve picked up a set of steelies and MT's and saved a few bucks!
The 255/75/17's are less rubber, and are used on the jeep wranglers so they make these in larger quantities. End result is a less expensive tire. They might even be different compounds, but its the bulk manufacturing that saves money.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys........I got the 285/70/17 mt km2's and they look super cool.:rocker:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Way to go, great choice!

I have been very happy with them, great traction in the dirt!

Any issues with rubbing?

Nop..no issues with rubbing at all.... I have the bilstein 5100 front shocks ..Im super happy w/my new tires:rocker:

·
Registered
194 Posts
The reason I heard they were cheap was that they made more tires than they made Jeeps and these are factory overuns. The tread is slightly different than regular MT's. They do work well.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
BKW--the 255/75/17 BFG MT's are so cheap because BFG manufactured these tires for Jeep's Rubicon and they ended up not making as many Jeep's as initially planned. Hence, BFG had a major overstock on this tire size. If you notice on the dicount tire website the last three digits are JEP on the tire code. They have this tire listed twice, once with the last three designator of JEP, and one without. The same tire without the designator is 141 now, a month ago it was 230ish. That's the reason there so cheap! The tire is not lesser in any way! :bigthumb: They recently lowered the non JEP designated tires down because nobody's buying them as long as there area JEP's around at 100 and some change. All my info came directly from the Manager at the Blanding Blvd Discount Tire here in Jax, FL. Congrats on the 285's! Thats the size Im going with next.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks brother...Ill post some pics tomorrow..:rocker:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does anyone know how well the BFG Mt km2 are in the snow?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I haven't tried them in the snow. I have a set of studded and sipped TXR's that I use for the winter.

My guess would be they would be good in deep fresh snow but would stink on packed snow and ice. I have found that narrow tires do work well in the snow (33x9.5's) on my plow truck but the BFG's really aren't that narrow compared to stock. If you had to use them in the snow I would consider sipping the center rows of lugs (blocks?). They are not pinned for studs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i actually just scored a set of these tires of EBAY, set of 5 for $425 shipped, so they are dirt cheap all over the place. i will post pics once i get them mounted. anyone know where i can get the tires sipped in massachusetts or rhode island?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts