Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Ive searched on this, but I have one tiny question left before I get this done.

The following is a list of recommended oils Posted by Robotman in another thread:

- Front Differential : 1.4 L or 1.5 qt Hypoid gear oil API GL-5, SAE 75W-90
- Rear Differential : 2.9 L 3.1 qt Hypoid gear oil API GL-5, SAE 75W-90
- Manual Transmission : 1.8 L or 1.9 qt Gear Oil API GL-4 or GL-5, SAE 75W-90
- Transfer Case : 1.4 L or 1.5 qt Hypoid gear oil API GL-5, SAE 75W-90

The manual transmission oil leaves out the word Hypoid. Is that on oversight, or is that on purpose?

I plan on using Mobile 1 all throughout, but if there is a difference between the hypoid and no hypoid, I might splurge and go redline in the manual tranny.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
A GL-5 oil is designed for hypoid axle use. A GL-4 is not, it is intended for manual transmission use and especially to be compatible with the synchronizers in manual transmissions

Toyota claims their 6 speed can handle either a GL-4 or GL-5. SOme who have changed the transmission fluid to a GL-5 have had very notchy shifting, and some grinding

In the end, I would probably use an oil like this in the 6 speed stick

Mobil Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50

Most synthetic hypoid gear oils are cross certified GL-5/MT-1 as some stick shifts are designed for such oils.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I used Mobil 1 in everything and I'm very happy with it. I was getting a little bit of grinding going into 3rd with the stock lube at 30K miles. Switching to Mobil 1 fixed that and it's been nice and smooth ever since.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've been running the Red-Line MT-90 in my manual tranny for the last 80K miles. I have 112K on my FJ now. Still shifts great. I've been getting it for about 10 to 11 bucks a quart. Only need to buy 2 quarts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts