Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a squeak in my front suspension and I think it may be coming from the polyurethane uca bushings? I really don’t want to take them off to grease them since I’m not even sure that’s where it’s coming from.

I ordered some Teflon nonstick spray lubricant, will this do the job? If not does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Spray lube isn't going to do much for you except attract dirt. It's pretty easy to pull the UCA off to clean and re-grease. You could modify your UCA and add grease zerks to make it easier next time as well.

You need a silicone grease for Polyurethane bushings. Superlube is a good choice, a 3oz tube is more than enough to to both sides a few times. This is the same stuff most bushing companies re-package for sale with their product.

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
What kind of UCA?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s a tuff country uca, I’m not 100% sure on that it was installed by the previous owner.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Looking at the ones on their site they appear to have grease zerks. Do yours have these? If so you just need to loosen the bolts and pump some of that superlube in with a grease gun. (you loosen the bolts because the pressure from the grease gun can damage the bushing)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it’s one of their older people ones, the only greasable part is the ball joints. Taking off the whole uca sounds like a big ordeal.

·
Registered
978 Posts
It's really not too big of a deal if you've got the tools. An extra long ratcheting 19mm box end wrench makes life way easier.

Off the top of my head:

-Loosen front lug nuts
-Jack up front and support on jack stands.
-Remove wheels
-Remove engine mud flaps
-Unbolt wheel speed sensor wire from UCA
-Remove bolt holding the coiled brake hard line in place to make more space for futzing.
-Loosen ball joint nut / smack it a few times to separate ball joint from knuckle.
-Remove UCA bolts and pull out the UCA.

Piece of cake right? (y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I did do it should I get some new greasable poly bushings or stick with my no greasable poly bushings

·
Registered
353 Posts
Joe,
Bushings themselves do not have grease zerts. The zerts are part of the arm. Attached is a photo for reference.
toyota-tacoma_forerunner-fjc-lifted_1500x1500_8_1.png

·
Registered
978 Posts
^^^^ What he said, and just to reiterate my thought of drilling them and adding grease zerks... This only works if the bushing is 3 piece. (two bushings halves and a sleeve)

I was just poking around on Tuffcountrys site and saw that the replacements look to be 3 piece, and they even include zerks. Maybe the ones you have are also 3 piece already?

PN: 91125

Confirm with Tuffcountry that these are compatible, i'm just some joker on the internet after-all. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts