Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'd like to say the darned bumper retainer clips are the spawn of Satan! I'm talking about the ones that hold the upper corner of the bumper where the bottom of the marker light assembly meets the front of the fender flare. Having vented, now that I can see what the darned thing looks like, I'll know where to attack the next time. Of course by then, I will have forgotten what they look like.

I'll take a pic or two before I start to button things up tomorrow, but the mount is quite beefy. Everything fit near perfectly. Hats off to Lucrum, the've got a very nicely engineered product.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some pics:

I only encountered two problems during the install. The mounting holes in the fairlead and the mounting holes in the Lucrum mount weren't perfectly aligned. I should have just opened up the holes on the Lucrum mount a smidge and I'll eventually go back and do that. Instead, I chucked the fairlead up in the mull and just enlarged the holes just a smidge.

The second problem was getting the darned synthetic line threaded into the spool. That was an exercise in frustration. I wish the folks who supplied the line would have taken the tim to taper the strands on the end. I tried every trick in the book and finally had to taper the end of the line about four inches back. Each inch closer to the end I cut out an additional strand. When done, I wrapped it all with some wiring harness tape (the kind with no adhesive) which helped compress the rope. When I was done, I just whacked off the tapered bit.

The mount came with d-rings, but for now, I didn't install them. I did install the brackets for them as I think I'm going to go back and use those mounting locations to mount some driving lights. For now, I just stuck a piece of tool box drawer liner between the front plate and the front surface of the d-ring brackets to prevent squeaking. (Probably not necessary.)

In the mean time, I found a good mounting location for my 4-up air horn setup.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at that last pic, I guess I need to go back and wrap the power cables with some no-stickum wire harness tape. That little bit of red sticking out at the right edge of the winch plate bugs me.

Oh, one other problem I ran into was what to do with the front license plate. They're required here in the great state, or I wouldn't have bolted it up in the first place. I ended up trimming the bottom 3/8" or so and then sanding it smooth with my handy bench top belt sander (probably the most-used power tool I own).

And now that I think of it, there was one other little problem, but it was addressed in the install instructions. That was the A/C line that runs across the lower part of the radiator. The instructions said that if it was in the way of the winch, to simply bench it gently by hand. Been there, done that, no biggie. There is a white plastic clip the line is attached to on the right edge of the radiator (as you face it) attached to a bracket. I wanted to bend the line a bit more than that bracket would allow. It finally dawned on me that I could remove the clip and install it on the back side of the bracket and it would allow another 1/2" or so of adjustment room. Worked like a charm.

Overall, the whole install probably took 4 hours, perhaps a little less.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Love the winch mount.

I agree the plastic snaps of my passenger's side just frustrated the heck out of me to the point I considered just dumping the whole stock bumper.

I hope you don't mind if I add my 2 cents?

I also didn't like the center mounted license plate. I wanted to leave it off but I have been already warned once. So I bent it to conform to the mount. I like it better myself.

As for the cables, I wire tied them together and parrallel behind the winch on the mounting plate then up into the battery. If you have enough length you might consider that.

I did go back and add one D-ring onto the driver's side to give me a tie point if I ever needed to use a snatch block.

The other suggestion if you have not done it already is to rewind your rope under load. I parked mine in the street, set the E-brake a bit and tied off to telephone pole. Just my 2 cents.

PB212341[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
You should cover that a/c line with rubber hose.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ misterquad

I considered mounting it off to one side, but then I'm left with two ugly holes in the bumper. Not sure what to think about it the way I have it mounted now.

I'm glad you posted that pic, though. I've already spend 30 minutes searching this AM for a pic of your FJ I saw last night somewhere. What do you have mounted on the end of your winch line? Looks nice and clean. I don't like the way I've got mine tethered off.

@ NDA

Probably a good idea. I didn't notice any rubbing when I moved it, but I'll certainly have a second look. Thanks for the heads-up!

-Matt

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
@ misterquad

I considered mounting it off to one side, but then I'm left with two ugly holes in the bumper. Not sure what to think about it the way I have it mounted now.

I'm glad you posted that pic, though. I've already spend 30 minutes searching this AM for a pic of your FJ I saw last night somewhere. What do you have mounted on the end of your winch line? Looks nice and clean. I don't like the way I've got mine tethered off.

-Matt
I had the two holes in my plastic bumper and I just found 2 black low profile screws to put in the holes. Now, you can barely notice if you are looking for them.

I have a safety thimble on the winchline instead a hook. I saw it on "thekeeper" at WTF 2010. It mounts perfect to the shackles.

Viking Winchlines

1 - 8 of 8 Posts