Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read here somewhere that the stock acorn lug nuts are too short for the Teflons. I read that the correct nuts to get are "E/T Ultra Style Conical". Gorilla makes a set of these and I can order from Wheelers Off-road. Wheelers has two choices, Acorn and Spline. Too bad they don't come in black.

Can anyone verify that this is correct and which to purchase acorn or spline for the Teflons?

Thanks.

Black and Polished Alloy Toyota Truck Wheels from Wheeler's Off-Road

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
go to autozone. you can get a set of black acorn style lugs with splines. exactly what i am running. acorn is the rounded bottom, spline is just a special tool for tight spaces. with mojaves, i dont think you need spline lugs

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the ones from Autozone the correct length?

go to autozone. you can get a set of black acorn style lugs with splines. exactly what i am running. acorn is the rounded bottom, spline is just a special tool for tight spaces. with mojaves, i dont think you need spline lugs

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've read, if the nuts don't looks like this, you won't get enough threads on the bolt when using thicker rims like the Mojaves.

AJ, do the Pro comp ones look like these?

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
here you go. acorn/spline lug nuts. i know, i lied, they aren't black. but they have them.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
As far as I know, nobody has ever found the ET style conical in black. It's been discussed in many threads in the past and anyone who thought they knew something was either wrong/misinformed/clueless. I've been running my AR Teflon Chambers on maybe four/five threads per nut without the ET.

If someone actually has some good info it would be great to see a link or something.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ET nuts have an extended thread section/centering barrel that increases thread contact. See pics above. The problem with the Gorilla brand is that they don't offer black in this style.

What is ET?

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if no one can offer proof that ETs are available in black, I'm just going to order the ones from Wheelers and live with the shiny chrome.

As far as I know, nobody has ever found the ET style conical in black. It's been discussed in many threads in the past and anyone who thought they knew something was either wrong/misinformed/clueless. I've been running my AR Teflon Chambers on maybe four/five threads per nut without the ET.

If someone actually has some good info it would be great to see a link or something.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I've been running the black acorn style Gorilla lug nuts on my Mojave Teflons (for everyday driving) as well as my OEM steelies for off-road trips for nearly 4 years without incident.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Running 4 or 5 threads per nut doesn't sit well for me. This set of rims is going to be winter only, so I'm going to live with the shiny Gorilla ET's.

BTW, are your Teflons 16 or 17?

I've been running the black acorn style Gorilla lug nuts on my Mojave Teflons (for everyday driving) as well as my OEM steelies for off-road trips for nearly 4 years without incident.

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts

Is that just on the front, James?

For some reason the lug studs on the front of the vehicle are shorter than the ones on the rear. You can very easily replace the ones on the front with rear lug studs and then have more engaged threads

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Is that just on the front, James?

For some reason the lug studs on the front of the vehicle are shorter than the ones on the rear. You can very easily replace the ones on the front with rear lug studs and then have more engaged threads
Not sure. I'll try to remember to check next time I rotate. I'm sure someone else knows.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts