Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been posted before. But I was wondering how lunch works on the trails. Should we be packing lunches to eat, or do we get lunch in town? I remember hearing somewhere that some of the trail runs stop in Telluride for lunch. Can anyone tell me which runs?

Here are the runs I signed up for. Anyone know if any of them stop in Telluride for lunch, or do I need to pack a lunch for each?

Thursday Trail Run: California Pass and Corkscrew Gulch at 07:40 AM
Friday Trail Run: Imogene Pass to Ophir Pass at 07:50 AM
Saturday Trail Run: Black Bear Pass to Ophir Pass at 08:00 AM

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
black bear and imogene both go to Telluride. And there is a lunch stop there.

as for california, there are no lunch breaks. it's eat while you drive or at a rest stop.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
First one no, second two yes. But I always pack some food anyway JIC. You will get hungry on the trails.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
There is no formal lunch stop in Telluride. Both those last trips pass thru to-hell-u-ride but your on your own for lunch and most real eateries are busy/slow, so many of us go on to the Shell station a ways out of town and grab something there or dig in our coolers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is no formal lunch stop in Telluride. Both those last trips pass thru to-hell-u-ride but your on your own for lunch and most real eateries are busy/slow, so many of us go on to the Shell station a ways out of town and grab something there or dig in our coolers.
Even the deli counter @ the grocery was packed last year. If I recall, choices were also pretty limited at the time. I plan to bring lunch along with me this year...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up. I'll plan to pack food for lunch each day.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Most trail leaders on the Alpine Loop run stop in Lake City for lunch.

But, we always bring our own food in case we don't want to fight the crowds...

cheers,

dale

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Ya, there's nothing official.
Generally though (for Telluride anyway) we usually take about an hour and a half for lunch in Telluride; mainly because it will take that long to get parked, waited on, served, paid-up, etc.

Some people go to one restaurant, others go to another, and some just go some place for a picnic.

Whatever you want to do is totally cool.

As a trail leader, I usually try to take a poll and go wherever the majority seems to be interested in going. I have my favorite, of course, and put it out there, but I'm game for whatever.

Even though it could be quicker to just bring my own lunch, since this is a vacation for me, and I don't mind crowds or waiting around with cool people, I will most likely continue going the restaurant route....at least for now.

Probably the most important part though is making sure to identify a time and place where the group will meet back up to continue the trail run after the lunch break.

I usually set that time to be 1.5 hours after we split up for lunch, and the place for the convenience store on the west end of town (HERE); though sometimes it could work out to meet at the gas station further west of town (HERE) too if it's a smaller group.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
My recommendation to trail leaders is to offer at least an hour, and preferably more (like 1.5 hours) for slow service eateries, in Telluride for all Black Bear and Imogene runs. After all, everyone is on vacation and for many this may be the one and only time in their life that they get to visit Telluride. If the consensus is to keep moving or grab a snack that is fine too. Why hurry ?

Same thing for Lake City on the Alpine Loops runs.

Also, in Telluride, you can meet after lunch and walk down to the gondola and take a ride to the top as a group. You can also eat (although not for cheap) at the top of the gondola.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
...Also, in Telluride, you can meet after lunch and walk down to the gondola and take a ride to the top as a group. You can also eat (although not for cheap) at the top of the gondola.
Ya, I did that with my family last year, but on a non-Summit day earlier in the week.

I think it would be too much to squeeze that in besides a lunch break most of the time, but if the group is game, are we OK to go for it even though it means it will/may cause stacking issues on the trail?

If it's OK to do that, I will definitely start offering it as an add-on to Imogene trail runs. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Ya, I did that with my family last year, but on a non-Summit day earlier in the week.

I think it would be too much to squeeze that in besides a lunch break most of the time, but if the group is game, are we OK to go for it even though it means it will/may cause stacking issues on the trail?

If it's OK to do that, I will definitely start offering it as an add-on to Imogene trail runs. :bigthumb:
Considering that some push to just grab a snack in Telluride and others take 1.5 hours, the potential for stacking is already there. In fact it is totally unavoidable when you consider that Black and Imogene runs are both deposited into Telluride. The ride up and down doesn't take long but I would only suggest it if you have a long lunch. I know some already do it/have done it. It's just another way of enjoying the town.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Considering that some push to just grab a snack in Telluride and others take 1.5 hours, the potential for stacking is already there. In fact it is totally unavoidable when you consider that Black and Imogene runs are both deposited into Telluride. The ride up and down doesn't take long but I would only suggest it if you have a long lunch. I know some already do it/have done it. It's just another way of enjoying the town.
Indeed. Well, that's wonderful. I will offer it as an option, and if the majority wants to go, we'll do it. Thanks, James.

·
Registered
313 Posts
We tried to get lunch last year in Lake City everything was covered up. As such we bought a Eva Cool at the Summit and will have lunch meat this year on the trail runs for simple sammies. Nothing fancy but better that doing Alpine without food and only a couple waters and snacks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Having lead Alpine loop a couple of times, including last year with a 2 hour "The trail is washed out and the end loader is coming up from Lake City to fix it" delay, i highly recommend bringing lunch with on this run. The one burger place i have stopped at in the past is pretty slow, with sometimes a 40-45 min wait before even getting our food. Alpine Loop is a long run to begin with. I don't like to take more than an hour for lunch at the park in town, especially if the eaterys are backed up with tourists and other trail runs.
Looking forward to doing it again this year!

KyFJGuy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts